Question for forumites

Sal Glesser

I have a question that comes up periodically at Spyderco. In many areas and departments.

We know we're doing a few things right becuase we're still around.

Since you probably know more about Spyderco as a percentage than most ELU, I thought to post this (for our own growth).

What are we doing wrong? What can we do better?

We at Spyderco are interested in your honest opinions. Please don't "beat around the bush". Please don't Bullsh*t us. Cold hard Truth please. Thank you for your interest, your brainpower and keyboard time.
sal

That`s a very difficult question!

You do so much so well. Usually a company will begin to lose it`s customer focus in the name of growth and maximizing profits. As you guys get bigger, you seem to increase your focus on what customers want. That`s really unusual, but I`m glad that the top dogs at Spyderco seem to truly value customer input.

Don`t neglect the internet! The internet will change the way we all do business. The internet isn`t something that will be tamed and regulated. It will create a virtual "farmer`s market". Be flexible in the virtual marketplace and learn how to best position yourself there.

Keep you website current! If I was to get all my info about Spyderco from your website, I`d have a different opinion about your company. Hire a knife knut webmaster and make your website as interesting and dynamic as your forum.

Seriously Sal, the fact that you even bother to ask us forumites this question gives me a very positive feeling about Spyderco. There aren`t many companies I can say I "feel good" about. That alone is an accomplishment in itself.

I have to say that Spyderco is very receptive to feedback from the ELU. Spyderco also seems to be pushing the envelope in knife design and technology. Spyderco is not afraid to take risks. Spyderco is a leader in the knife industry for sure. There are very few things I think I would change.
1) Even though we love to know about new products it is bothersome when a much anticipated knifes release date keeps getting pushed back. I have know idea of how to stop this short of keeping us in the dark until much later in the production process.
2) Try and find a way to use the internet to your advantage. I know that there are alot of people who dont have internet access and dont care to. I dont think you can or should specifically cater to internet users because they are only a portion of your sales. However the internet is a valuable tool and probably the wave of the future. I think Spyderco should try to use this tool to benefit Spoydeco and ultimately us.
3) A job for me in R & D would be nice also.
4) I cant think of anything else right now, but if I do I'll get back to you.

------------------
-Dennis-

I can only think of one thing: offer more left-handed models. What I wouldn't do for a leftie CPM440V Military.. *drool*
smile.gif

Other than that, I can't think of a single negative thing to say about Spyderco.

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

Sal - the only thing I would change is the release of new knives: estimated delivery dates vs. actual delivery dates. Knowing that we knife nuts love to hear about upcoming releases, maybe not issue a delivery date until you guys can get a clearer picture on how production is going? I'm not sure if this will be easy to do, as hold ups in the production process can and will happen. They are totally unavoidable.

Other than that, you guys obviously are doing somthing right
wink.gif
Product line has great diversity and a wide range of materials (G-10, aluminum, titanium, ATS-34, AUS-8, 440V, etc). With this wide variety in designs and materials, every knife collector will find something that strikes their fancy.

Designer series - these are a real winner in my book. Offering custom designs at production prices. Giving folks a chance at owning a custom design who might otherwise not have the discretionary income to justify a purchase of a full blown custom. At times, it might encourage us to purchase the real-deal custom, like I did with the C48 and Wegner Blade Tech Pro Hunter. Makers involved get name recognition in the production arena, and in turn you (Spyderco) learns a lot from working closely with these accomplished individuals.

Customer service. Service after the sale. This in turn helps sell more knives. Spyderco probably has the best customer service today. I have seldom had to send any knives back, but at the times I did, the work was done properly and the turn around time was kept to a minimum. Plus, having a person like Danelle who mixes it up with the rest of us - it's like a direct line to Spydie customer service
smile.gif

Well, that's all I can think about now...please keep up the great work!

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator
AKTI Member # A000005

"Spirits fly on dangerous missions, imaginations on fire.
Focused high on soaring ambitions consumed in a single desire."

I know that you are already working on this to some degree, But I would like to see black clips available for all knives (even if only as an option). There are many times that I don't want "advertise to the world" that I am carrying a knife.

Some more "Special Runs" of various knives (ie:Red checkered handles, etc.).

Also more use of 440V and VG-10 steels.

And finally, Keep up with the quality customer service that you now have. It always is nice to know that a company will stand behind their product.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

I agree with Steve B. about the website. This will increasingly become more important in how people see the knives and company. Maybe be more up to date with the new, upcoming knives - I noticed you don't have the Calypso Jr. Liteweight up yet. I know this is only now in QC, but I think it could help things to announce it a little more ahead of time on there. I'm not saying you need to much further ahead or anything...there's no need to frustrate more people with the estimated date vs. actual release.

As far as the estimated release vs. actual - how bad has the reaction been outside of the forums/knife shows? Are the ELU's in general aware enough of new items for this to be a problem?

I think one problem for many people is that the look of the knives isn't overly attractive. This isn't a problem for those of us that know your knives and know what we're getting. But for those that are just looking for their first knife and don't really know much, maybe a knife that's a little more visually appealing to bring in more people? Also, size...for example, my female roommate finds the native to be too large. I don't think it's so much that the blade length is excessive, but moreso that the knife is bigger than some of comparable size from the side view. I'm not sure if you're willing to go with a design that would overcome these thoughts of many I know, but I think it would make people somewhat less aprehensive about owning one of your knives.

As far as customer service and diversity of product line, I think you're doing great. These are probably the keys to your current, and in all likelihood future, success.

Your presence on the forums is going a long way to bringing in a lot of support here. Keep it up!

------------------
JP Bullivant

Hi Sal,
Thanks for asking.
I think Spyderco is a very innovative manufacturer of high quality "usable" knives.
The first time I saw a Spyderco I was inclined to think ugly.
I had a Buck and a pony tail.
The first time I handled one, I changed my mind.
My impression was "these people know what fits the hand". The friendliness of the "hole", the "hump" and the "motion" of opening sold me. It made sense.
The knife was an old style Endura-still have it too.
The emergence of e-commerce and e-dealers is new to me too. I'm not certain I'm comfortable with it as it also effects my business (commercial insurance).
I can't help you here, but I admit that I enjoy the convenience of e-commerce myself.
This medium is in motion,however, and "in motion" is the place to be if you are to be successful in business these days.
Old relationships are fading for everyone.
Quality, service and delivery are the dominating factors in anyone's success.
I see Spyderco in an "adjustment" period. You keep making the same high quality and affordable knives that you have always made and you will continue to enjoy success.
That I'm certain of. Even in the next decade of uncertainties.
If you have any ideas about insurance marketing, please feel free to tell me.
Bill

Sal

It has always seemed strange to me that you continue to bring out new blades in bunches, but are backordered a lot of times with core products. In todays, very crowded market, the ELU will not wait 2 to 4 weeks for a Spyderco model to come back into their local knife stores shelves. They will buy another blade, maybe another Spydie, maybe not. To starve the market is damanging in my opinion. Appreciate all the new products, but if I can't buy them anywhere, or even worse the dealer can't sell them because he is backordered, then the new product is not as appealling as it should be. People are starving for Starmates, where are they? I guess I'll buy a REKAT with this months knife money. Just an example. I know your cutting back your line for 2000, and hopefully this will curb this exsisting, and most of the time annoying problem.

Also I'm concerned with the fact that Spyderco has not had a "winner" or high volume mover since the C10 and C11. Maybe I'm wrong here, there has been a tremendous amount of beautiful product, but I don't believe buyers outside the true knife market are gobbling these products up. That and the fact that the C10 and C11 have run a long race, even with their facelift, their getting old. There is no question on quality, and Spyderco's reputation is great, but the new products that have come out over the last few years, are low volume products. Batch's are great, but maybe your focus should be geared more toward volume. You have set the stage and standards for others to follow, but I quess what the public is saying is "What have you done for me lately". New products from CRK&T, Kershaw and Benchmade have touched the pulse of the market far better than Spyderco in the recent past. I'm sure it has hurt you to see that. Obviously Blade Magazine has noticed with your recent drought with awards. As sad as it is to say, buyers are looking for "eye candy", and if it's got "walk and talk" to boot they don't care where it's made. CRK&T for example. Maybe you don't want to cater to those customers, and I understand your performance all the way, possibly you could combine future products with what's currently successful, throw in some Spydie flair and create a winner. Forget about politics, quit creating blades that don't reach out to markets where volume can be achieved. I really don't feel the Moran, J.D. Smith, the carbon fibers, "R", Herbst, and others were the best products you could have manufactured, especially with what your compitition was doing. Look out from the walls that surround you and stop doing what you want, but rather what the public desires.

I've also noticed a slow down with your marketing, Tech Knives for instance had all but nothing from Spyderco. It shows me again that there is a problem, otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question. Sorry if I sounded harsh, not my intention. My writing skills were home skooled from Dad.

Just an opinion, I'm out.

Can I add something? Well here goes...

In terms of trying different materials, I don't think Spyderco has an equal (of course others have already said this better). Whether this is good or bad I really can't say. It seems that the customers like it so it seems good, but I have heard dealers complain about all of the SKU's. I believe this sets Spyderco apart.

As to designs, again Spyderco seems to be leading the other companies a bit. Again, the customers base is responding well to this also.

What would take Spyderco to the next level? There's not much, unless you want to raise prices significantly. But, in my opinion, there is one little thing you could add (unless you already do this) which is: perform hardness testing on each blade before assembly. I know that most (all?) production companies batch heat treat blades and this causes some variations due to the size of the furnaces. A hardness test would be like any other QA for fit/finish.

To me this seems like a reasonable request, to guarantee that the blade was heat-treated properly. After all, I buy a knife to cut! I think the whole process of heat-treatment in production could be rethought and provide better quality steel blades. This is what will set apart the next production company because after all I can get a custom designed folder from any of the top dozen companies, and serrations, and tactical folders, and ...

I've heard it said that the steel is only as good as the heat-treatment. If you use quality steel then guarantee that it gets the same quality heat-treat. Oh...and how about a sub-zero quench?

Thanks,
jj

An after thought: Spyderco designs are certainly not "main stream". I remember my first impressions...needs to grow on you. But once you get a Spyderco knife, the quality hooks you. I think that a design that would compete well with some of the more conventional designs. Sal, I was the one who had written you about one of my designs, remember? The design I had was more of a main stream competitor and that was exactly what I had in mind. Not trying to sell myself, but after I became hooked on Spyderco quality, I wanted a more conventional look and thought that it might be something that you might be interested in doing to move into a sector you had not tapped. Sorry to drone on...

[This message has been edited by jeffj (edited 26 August 1999).]

Something with a sheep's foot / warncliffe blade shape

Steel liners on your knives that have synthetic scales (scales without liners just don't give the impressions of sturdiness)

Look at CRKT; excellent product for the money, and good prices, too.

I think all you guys need is a facelift in marketing & design. You've got the quality, the reputation, the VERY BEST clips, and of course, the HOLE! The hole still beats ANY thumb-stud out there. Hands down.

Keep it up, Sal, we've got faith in you!

------------------
John 14:6

Sal,
Thanks for being interested in our opinions.
As I've said before, I've benn buying Spydies since they were first available.
The thing that attracted them to me was they were at least reasonably Lefthand friendly. This is not only important to us "sinister" types, but also to weak side carry for righthanders as well.
A big problem has been, that the better quality knives, for ,the most part, have not been so friendly. Frustration....
I don't know what your expansion plans are, but the internet is going to be THE place to do business. For example, until I got this 'puter I had no idea that there were so many Spidies available. A point of fact, most people I know don't have any idea where to get a Spyderco, Benchmade or other such knife. These people don't go into specialty shops.
You need (if interested in expansion) to get into the Walmarts, etc. with a price point knife. Does this lessen the perception of Spyderco....I don't think so! But, it does create brand loyality...ask Chuck about that.
And, with good advertising,in Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Sales will go up. Speciality mags., like TK only appeal to those already in the "game". To the people I'm talking about, that magazine represents a half hour to an hours worth of take home pay. That's why they buy the "rip off knives". They can't or wont pay much for something they are not sure about or can't find easily.
As far as I was concerned, I was looking forward to a two bladed Spyderco...what came out was a real clunker. Maby it's just my age, but I think that had you done a side-by-side you could have had a really robust knife, that was comfortable in the hand. In fairness, that is only real dud you've made that I can think of. Some I don't much care for, some I like, but are not lefthanded friendly, but that Dyad(sp) was the only dud.
Dan

What would be helpful is having email updates sent to registered users of Spyderco. You know, "news" type stuff. Set up a sign-up section on the webpage to enter your email address. Newsletters through snail mail can be good because not every consumer has the internet. It's a little costly but that's how you get your word and products across.

Here goes...

Stop making your knives in Japan, and build 'em right here in the USA!! It really says something about a company. Please don't try to convince me it's more expensive to do it here--it's not.

Cut back on the number of steels used in production. Go with ATS-55 for general purposes and CPM-44V for premium quality. Get rid of the rest. I can see using different steels on the collborations though--not your choice.

Handle materials are too varied. There's a market for Zytel and G-10. Steel handles are too damn heavy and do stain after prolonged use/carry. Maybe offer a special engraved steel model once in a while as a collectors piece.

In summary, trim the product line down. You're offering too much. The formula: What's selling what's not? The paradox: how to be innovative and stay "slim" at the same time.

Keep prices reasonable! Who do you want to carry Spyderco knives? Everyone!

Advertise outside of the trades.

Current pluses are quality and innovation.

Thanks for the opportunity to serve you in return.

EK

Luv ya, man!

Update the web site frequently.

Make the Military with liners.

Adopt some of the new bitchin blade materials - i.e., Talonite, 3V, etc. - quickly.

Teach Benchmade quality control (okay, I would understand why you would not want to do that but they really need help!).

Hello Sal!

You are doing many things right, but what can you do better? Well, many things have been said, so I'll just add a couple of my ideas.

1) The Internet! (It's been said, but...) You must do better here. Your presence here at BF is just great, but there are many people who go to your web-site, and quite frankly almost all the information there needs updating! It's not organized anymore (with knives here and there) and many models are missing, and others have wrong information. Vary bad. (BTW, collectors might enjoy information about _all_ the different models you have produced - web is a great place for this.) Web-site must be updated all the time! Email newsletter is a good idea also.

2) Internet bussiness. Don't know how you should handle this, but it's very important. The first store I knew that had Spydercos had about 5 different models...

3) You seem to go very much for the functionality... but there is also market for nice looking knives. "Gentlemans knives" and so on. Herbst was good, and I'm glad to hear that you are thinking of reintroducing it after all. Of course there are a few others. Titanium, carbon fiber and such materials here... and carbon fiber Delica isn't really the key...

4) And keep up the quality and the great customer service. And custom collaborations, and the great materials (CPM-420V...?
wink.gif
)

Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugo (edited 27 August 1999).]

Hi Sal!

Thanks for asking/listening.

"What have we done wrong?"
Discontinuing the C15 with aluminium scales. Just my opinion. Well you did the C55 instead, that's fine.
What I really don't understand is the handle-material of the Bob Lum. It looks used right out of the box. I passed this one. Very sad. I like the overall shape of the knife very much.

"What can we do better?"
I like the idea of the Spyderco Factory Outlet. This should give the opportunity to everyone (well everyone who knows about it's existance)to own each single SKU. This solves the problem of dealers who are not willing to order a particular item because they have to order a minimum of so and so many pieces, which in their mind they will not sell.

Your homepage has been mentioned already.

Quality: to keep up a high standart need's continous improvement. For example: the end of the clip of one of mine C55's was so sharp that I had to file the excess material to make it smooth or risk beeing cut.
I also can't understand that the hole of the C55 is not chamfered. I know this means an extra step in the production-process, but is it worth it not to do it?

Greetings
red

PS: You undoubtely have done something right when I think of the large number of spidies in my collection,beside the one I carry every day.
Thanks to you and your crew.

First, in general I disagree with everything SID said. No offense SID, but I do.

1 Variety is your strength, I want to see more materials, more colors, more designs until you can offer no more. To think, if you were any other company I probably would not have a CF Dragonfly, and I love mine. I have said it before, take a model and do 5 versions of it, like the CoPilot with CF, colored CF, G-10, colored G-10, Ti, Steel with Kraton, etceteras. Commision artists to embellish. I love experimentals, love them. Keep updating models, BM is killing themselves by not putting the Axis on the AFCK, I may stop buying their products just for that reason. Please do some Titanium handles, please, please on the Lum Chinese.....

2 Never copy the other guys, you folks built the tactical market with the Police, then you waited to make the Military, and it redefined the tactical market, you did not rush in with the "ME TOO", Perfect. Keep trailblazing. Higher risk equals higher reward.

3 Keep being unique. Left models, Custom Shop, clip options including low ride, somethimes you have to copy and EDI has the right idea with that clip and it is fair game.

4 I could live without it, but screws at pivot on Zytel models.

5 Don't worry about how long it takes to put out a model, ignore our bitching, we should not being doing it. You will produce the absolute best model you can at the best price and we will buy it. "Build it and they will come" Waiting for the Lum Chinese keeps me warm at night, anticipation is one of the greatest things on the planet.

6 Take the Spyderco Factory Outlet to the max. Limited runs, test models, special models, another level of collectors club, the possiblities are endless..... Images, Images, Images, No more glossy photos, give me details, I want to see the handle texture, Think Mattis/Korn style. Site updates would be nice for both sites.

7 Cave in to market pressures only as much as you have to, there are plenty of safe ways to run companies, but that is also known as being average. If you content to be average, you would not have got here. Bring the highest denominator to the common man.

8 Listen to your heart.

Of course I make under $10,000 a year, so what do I know?

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

[This message has been edited by Marion David Poff (edited 27 August 1999).]

Sal,
to me the the most important aspect of any knife I purchase is quality, and Spyderco certainly qualifies in this department. Next comes the appearance and from a cursory view carbon fibre, G10 and Zytel in black all look much the same,(of course the difference is instantly noticeable on handling), but first impressions are to my mind the most important. On walking into the local knife shop here the knives that immediately take my eye are the ones with bone, stag or wood scales and judging from Bucks success with models like the 110 folding hunters and Schrade with their Staglon handles I am not the only one to feel this way. To my way of thinking the black tactical look has been played to death. How about using some different material for the scales like rosewood, stag (even imitation stag) or bone. I for one would jump at the chance to own such knives. I also think you should standardise on the type of steel used, maybe low end ATS55 and high end CPM440V.
Just my humble opinion.

Sal, so much has been said. Idon't know of I can add anything new.

Don't change your willingness to take a chance on a design.

Don't change you quality standards. Keep them at the current level. If you take them much higher, I think that would add to cost.

Update your website more frequently. Maybe show some of the protypes and concepts there and ask for input from quests to the site. I wouldn't be too afraid of people ripping you off. I haven't see a truly successful rip off yet.

I know it is a small market at this time on the internet, but it will grow. No doubt about that. Anyway, maybe offer a new model for evaluation to Forumites or regular guests to your Wesite, and get a "normal" guys/gals opinion.
wink.gif

The Endura and Delica are a bit dated. They and the Glock remind me of one another, not the prettiest things , but they work very well. Maybe a couple more refinements to the Endura /Delica, change the handle shape a little by adding more of a finger notch or guard.

I really can't think of much else. You have a successful formula. The fact that you are looking for input puts you miles ahead of the others. Keep going!

------------------
I claim this mouth in the name of, Incisor.
Not so fast!
Bicuspid, so we meet again.
(Family Guy)

Back