question for the benchmade fans: bugout, bailout or mini-barrage ?

Which benchmade should I go for

• Grey Bugout

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Black Bailout

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Grey Barrage

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
Hi guys,

wondering about my next purchase,
and I've got a bit of a connondrum for the benchmade owners out there:

If got three options,
All at exactly the same price (give or take a euro or two)

A grey G10-S30V Barrage,
A Grey S30V Bugout,
And a Black Bailout.

Which one do you guys think I should go for ?
And also your reasoning of course :)

My only other benchmades are 2 hooks and a 20CV mini-grip.

I don't have a Bailout so can't help there. I have a first gen Bugout and the standard 580 Barrage. The Barrage is a nice stout knife, as I'm sure the mini would be also, but I don't carry it much because of AO and the size of the 580.
The mini Barrage would take care of the size problem.

That being said, the Bugout is probably BM's best seller and is immensely popular so that would be my recommendation. There are some who complain about the Grivory scales of the 535 and their flexibility but as a lightweight EDC knife, the Bugout outperforms in its class AFAIC but you can spring for 3rd party scales if that's your thing.

I don't care for the bugout much its just too thin and feels flimsy to me...don't have a bailout so I'm no help there but I do have the mini barrage in s30v with the grey g10 and its a good smallish knife I carried it a good bit

Personally, although I do own a Barrage I typically try to avoid assisted opening AXIS locks. It doesn't open much faster than you can flick it open anyway, but you cannot flick it closed one-handed. IMO it takes away from what makes the AXIS lock great.

Never owned a Bailout, but I dig my Bugout just fine. Keep in mind that on these models many of us prefer aftermarket scales.

Had a bailout and still have a bugout.

Bailouts blade just didn't do it for me, had great action though

Hi guys,

wondering about my next purchase,
and I've got a bit of a connondrum for the benchmade owners out there:

If got three options,
All at exactly the same price (give or take a euro or two)

A grey G10-S30V Barrage,
A Grey S30V Bugout,
And a Black Bailout.

Which one do you guys think I should go for ?
And also your reasoning of course :)

My only other benchmades are 2 hooks and a 20CV mini-grip.
The Bugout scales flex a little.
Doesn’t hurt anything but it drives some people nuts. If it would bother you, get the Barrage.

If weight is an issue, get the Bugout.

The Bailout is last. I like it but feel the Bugout is a better knife.

Of course we need to ask, which one fits your hand the best?

Bugout for me, dont like assisted knives and the Bailout has a weird butt that I have no use for

I just think everyone should have a Bugout. Relatively inexpensive, light to carry, "just-right" size, slicier than most other Benchmades. I like the Bugout a lot, but I don't have any of the others you've mentioned so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess.

Had a mini barrage, handle was too short and fat and the spring assist, while snappy like a true auto, takes away the flick-close option which I prefer.

I've not handled the others and avoid Benchmade now based on their politics

Last edited:
I have all three. And the full size Barrage. I like the bailout alot. But I put aftermarket scales on both the bailout and the bugout and deleted the pummel on the bailout and the lanyard hole on the bugout. So neither are factory versions anymore. If you want off the shelf I like the bugout. If you want aftermarket I like the bailout. If you want custom from benchmade then the mini Barrage is the way to go.

Edit. Brought to my attention I didn't "proof read" before I posted so I am making the correction. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I just think everyone should have a Bugout. Relatively inexpensive, light to carry, "just-right" size, slicier than most other Benchmades. I like the Bugout a lot, but I don't have any of the others you've mentioned so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess.

The Bugout is a fine knife, no question.

However, I am rather fond of the recently discontinued 531. You get the same basic size of blade as the Bugout but you gain G10 scales.

The Mini Barrage is a great knife. I don’t mind the AO, so that helps. I like the Bugout, too, bought it for my son who carries it more than anything else.

So to resume, and we're talking about stock, non modified knives:

Current bailout is out, for various reasons, but mostly because the standard design doesn't fit my PoU.

Bugout.
Pro: lighter weight, lots of possible aftermarket, does not mark in pocket so more office friendly, manual
Con: standard scales feel flimsier

Barrage.
Pro: better handle materials, probably better ergo's, assisted opener with lock, technically the more expensive knife at a steeper discount
Cons: heavier, assisted so no flicking it closed.

Same: steel, warranty

Sound correct ?

Then it basically comes down to what weighs heaviest : the ease of use of a manual axis, or the better, sturdier handle....

I believe the barrage is the better knife.
Barrage is the only one with full liners. The other two have small partial liners and not very thick liners either. Your mini griptilian has thicker liners. I have a Bugout, I keep it in my Bugout bag.
Below is the mini-barrage I carry sometimes.
a9f7030b131a3cb6d3baac3b392eec2f.jpg

Back