Question for the Case CV users among us

I've seen Opinels with finger prints on them from lack of attention after handling. (Not mine) So I was wondering how the CV fares.

Case CV, as other carbon steel knives, is in constant changing, so i wouldn't worry about that. If a fingerprint gets on the patina, it sure won't stay long :D

Mateo... Well - Maybe I posted something like this in another thread :D but this are my experiences with carbon steel in general (next to Case´s CV). My opinion doesn´t change so often.
Maybe I misunderstood the threadopener and all the other poster, too. However - if I should have derailed the thread, please excuse for this.

I was really laughing about your writing. Thanks for this, it saved my evening :D

I usually don't worry too much about my carbon knives, I just wipe em off after I'm done. If I have been cutting something acidic, I'll rinse em off or at least wipe em with a moist rag.

The only time I've had a problem is when I am really sweaty, I had my white owl on me at the gym once and although I didn't use the knife to cut anything, I did work up a good sweat and I didn't wipe the knife off, a couple days later I found spotting over a large portion of the blade. I caught it fast enough that a quick scrubbing with some 0000 steel wool and WD40 got rid of all the active rust, the spots are still visible, but it really doesn't make a difference to me, they'll go away pretty quickly if I cut up some apples.

I usually don't worry too much about my carbon knives, I just wipe em off after I'm done.

Yep, after a couple hours of yard work today all three blades of my Case 6332 stockman were covered with perspiration. Wiped 'em down, ran a napkin through the blade well to dry the scales and back springs, and all was well.

Well I guess I'll be dropping a yeller peanut in my pocket. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for all the replies.

Well I guess I'll be dropping a yeller peanut in my pocket. We'll see how it goes.

I think that is an excellent choice! Here are some pictures I took of the yeller peanut my son carries (alongside mine in chestnut bone) last time he was home for a visit, about three weeks ago. Not the best pictures, but they do show CV blades that have been carried and used.

I've had mine since the last week of February, he got his the following week. He carries it every day, including this summer when he was working in an unconditioned warehouse, and a few days it needed some extra work to remove a bit of early corrosion from sweat.

PeanutsSep30a.jpg

PeanutsSep30b.jpg

PeanutsSep30c.jpg

The only place I've had the rust kind of patina show up is in the nail knick, which is really rare. I use to clean this area out from foods apples etc. with a toothpick but now I just let it go until I know there is enough patina in that part to feel comfortable about it; other then that never a problem!

The only place I've had the rust kind of patina show up is in the nail knick, which is really rare. I use to clean this area out from foods apples etc. with a toothpick but now I just let it go until I know there is enough patina in that part to feel comfortable about it; other then that never a problem!

I use my slipjoints for cutting apples too. I press a napkin in the nail nick with my fingernail to get it clean.

I've been edcing a yellow peanut for a couple of weeks straight, including food use at lunch. No issues, and only casual care.

Back