Question on a couple Scout knives

Hi everyone! I recently started taking a liking to Scout type knives, and have just received my first two in a trade from another member. One of them is a Craftsman USA 9549. It has dark brown jigged Delrin scales, and a Craftsman "crown" oval shield. I was informed that it was made for them by Schrade. Does anyone know what year, or years, these were produced? The second one is an Ulster USA, with a raised Boy Scout shield. It has very dark brown jigged Delrin scales. I'd also like to know production dates on this one, as well as any other information that you may be willing to share on either of these. Thanks! I can email pictutto you , if they would help. I think there's going to be more scouts in my future!

Last edited:
The Craftsman is probably an Ulster too and likely made in Schrade's Ellenville, NY plant after their Walden, NY plant burned down in 1958. Schrade and Ulster lines were made there. Your Craftsman is likely mid-late '60s.

My Craftsman 9549/Ulster114.
Craftsman%25209549%2520-%2520Ulster%2520114.JPG

Last edited:
Nice to see- I too have always been an admirer of the Scout knife and Cattle knives.
I am starting to gather a few now and most probably will continue to do so.

Usually by photos with the style of can openers - stampings etc you will be able to have more of an idea of year etc.

Looking coward to seeing more of these appear from our mates here 👍

The Craftsman is probably an Ulster too and likely made in Schrade's Ellenville, NY plant after their Walden, NY plant burned down in 1958. Schrade and Ulster lines were made there. Your Craftsman is likely mid-late '60s.

My Craftsman 9549/Ulster114.
Craftsman%25209549%2520-%2520Ulster%2520114.JPG

leghog, that one does look like mine. I changed the model number in my original post, thank you. It looked like 9649, instead of 9549, to my 51 year old eyes. Thanks for the information!

Ok, so now I've acquired a third one. It's also stamped Ulster USA, on the tang, but has no shield at all. Other than that, the handles and blades are all the same as the other two. Does this indicate anything? Different production date? Anything else?

Ok, so now I've acquired a third one. It's also stamped Ulster USA, on the tang, but has no shield at all. Other than that, the handles and blades are all the same as the other two. Does this indicate anything? Different production date? Anything else?

Should simply mean it wasn't an official Scout knife- they still sold the pattern without the Scout livery. One of the rarest Old Timers, for example, is a Scout knife in OT garb- the 10OT. I've been looking for years and only ever seen one for sale. For comparison, the next rarest may be the 2OT, and those can be found with a little legwork.

Back