1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Question on a couple Scout knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by The Fort, Nov 4, 2016.

1. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Hi everyone! I recently started taking a liking to Scout type knives, and have just received my first two in a trade from another member. One of them is a Craftsman USA 9549. It has dark brown jigged Delrin scales, and a Craftsman "crown" oval shield. I was informed that it was made for them by Schrade. Does anyone know what year, or years, these were produced? The second one is an Ulster USA, with a raised Boy Scout shield. It has very dark brown jigged Delrin scales. I'd also like to know production dates on this one, as well as any other information that you may be willing to share on either of these. Thanks! I can email pictutto you , if they would help. I think there's going to be more scouts in my future!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    The Craftsman is probably an Ulster too and likely made in Schrade's Ellenville, NY plant after their Walden, NY plant burned down in 1958. Schrade and Ulster lines were made there. Your Craftsman is likely mid-late '60s.

My Craftsman 9549/Ulster114.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Nice Scout

4. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
  5. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice to see- I too have always been an admirer of the Scout knife and Cattle knives.
    I am starting to gather a few now and most probably will continue to do so.

Usually by photos with the style of can openers - stampings etc you will be able to have more of an idea of year etc.

Looking coward to seeing more of these appear from our mates here 👍

6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
  7. The Fort

Aug 11, 2012
    leghog, that one does look like mine. I changed the model number in my original post, thank you. It looked like 9649, instead of 9549, to my 51 year old eyes. Thanks for the information!

8. The Fort

Aug 11, 2012
  9. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Here's the 9549 in a 1972 Sears catalog

[​IMG]

10. The Fort

Aug 11, 2012
    Ok, so now I've acquired a third one. It's also stamped Ulster USA, on the tang, but has no shield at all. Other than that, the handles and blades are all the same as the other two. Does this indicate anything? Different production date? Anything else?

11. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    Should simply mean it wasn't an official Scout knife- they still sold the pattern without the Scout livery. One of the rarest Old Timers, for example, is a Scout knife in OT garb- the 10OT. I've been looking for years and only ever seen one for sale. For comparison, the next rarest may be the 2OT, and those can be found with a little legwork.

12. The Fort

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks S and S

13. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006