Question on blade peppering

i have a user with some peppering,im going to try some OSFO and see what it does.anyone try this on a knife before?

I have used OSFO extensively on farm equipment, tree stands, property gates, etc. prior to painting. I would be really reluctant to use it on a knife. It is an incredibly caustic product. I think the chance of ruining the knife would be high, IMHO. I would be more likely to thoroughly clean the knife, clean it with alcohol, and soak the blade in warm vinegar until it formed a patina. If it was a delrin handled fixed blade, I would put the whole thing in vinegar. If not, I would only put the blade in vinegar.

Yikes! Putting the whole thing in vinegar will oxidize joint surfaces, accelerating wear! Not a good idea, IMO!

Waynorth, I'm speaking specifically about fixed blade knives; NOT folders. When you say joint surfaces, are you talking about where the delrin meets the metal on a fixed blade handle?

i don't really care what happens to the user knife.im going to apply the osfo with a Q-tip to the pepper spots,using more than one application if needed.i would never soak anything in osfo that was put together in layers,if you did'nt get it all out from between the faying parts i doubt it would last much more than a year.

All good suggestions. I have had a few rusted/pitted knives and swords as well. The first thing I use is Denatured Alcohol Pure to clean and oil off. I then use a dremel with a stainless steel brush to get as much rust off. I use the alcohol again to clean the surface. I just use 3 in 1 oil. Of course I live in a dry climate which helps. I have not had any rust/pitting return.
Tom

Interesting 'spirited' thread on caring for our collector bladeware....some great contributions from our late beloved Forum member Arnold/TobyRogers.....

G'Day, I've often wondered if its contagious.If you have a knife amongst the others that continually turns pepperish then black can it affect the others in the same drawer. I'm referring particularly to high carbon steel blades.I have a 171UH that every time I take it out it will have black on the tip and then I rub with metal cleaner more or less remove it then oil it and it will be black again next time I inspect and several others started to pepper.I have dozens of those moisture removing packets spread throughout all the drawers of my knife cabinets. I suspect this particular 171UH was cleaned/buffed prior to my original purchase and it just keeps coming back like a cancer....very frustrating.... Good topic this one.....Hoo Roo
Out of curiosity, did you locate an outgassing celluloid handled knife in the vicinity?
That's what the situation you had sounds like to me.
(I hope you don't still have the problem all these years later.)

Back