Question on Senza vs Umnumzaan?

Looking at Umnumzaan's now vs sebenzas. Im confused as to which one to get, im sure this is beaten to death!

If I get an older umnumzaan that has large pivot does warranty switch over? I like the old design.

Which one is better to whoever has both? What would you want if you could only have one?

Looking at Umnumzaan's now vs sebenzas. Im confused as to which one to get, im sure this is beaten to death!

If I get an older umnumzaan that has large pivot does warranty switch over? I like the old design.

Which one is better to whoever has both? What would you want if you could only have one?

It’s largely a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent knives and CRKs are some of the best built knives on the market.

If you like the style of the old pivot Zaan go for it! As far as warranty work CRK will service any CRK provided the knife hasn’t been modified.

Both are outstanding and I love both. It really comes down the preference. Size, weight, feel in hand, etc.

Of the two, the Zaan in definitely a bit beefier knife but it's not that much larger than the Large Sebenza overall. Both are going to tough as nails and built to be used.

Umnumzaan, but that’s just me. IMO, it makes for a good work knife.

Both are outstanding and I love both. It really comes down the preference. Size, weight, feel in hand, etc.

Of the two, the Zaan in definitely a bit beefier knife but it's not that much larger than the Large Sebenza overall. Both are going to tough as nails and built to be used.

He's right.

Umnumzaan, but that’s just me. IMO, it makes for a good work knife.

He's right too. Nothing wrong with a Sebenza at all but man I love the Zaan.

Another vote for the Zaan. Best folder I have ever bought. I’ve owned a Sebenza a few times as well. FWIW.

I have 3 Sebenzas (one 21, and two 25's) and a 'Zaan and I carry the 'Zaan every day.

I understand liking the old pivot, but not worth the extra $200 IMO.

Also not worth having to buy a special tool. I remember hating the look of the new pivot when it first came out. Now I have come to prefer it both for looks and functionality.

I just had to make the same decision, and decided that the Unnumzaan was best for me. I'll mention that the Zaan requires a different hand motion to deploy, but once you've developed the skill the knife is awesome!

Last edited:
Also not worth having to buy a special tool. I remember hating the look of the new pivot when it first came out. Now I have come to prefer it both for looks and functionality.

I think the old pivot looks awesome but I despise proprietary hardware. I've made it a rule for myself to never again purchase a knife that does not have standard hardware you can purchase tools for at home depot or lowes. The hardware on the old zann seems like it would be easy enough to make but I just can't bend on that rule.

To comment again on the 'Zaan, I got a Gudy Van Poppel mid-tech recently, intending to carry it, and I still can't get the 'Zann out of my pocket. I was incredibly late to the CRK thing, because I generally do not like all Ti handles, but damn if they are not just elegant, simple and perfect.

But yeah, get a Seb too. I prefer the 25, but I have a 21. Just as nice as the Umnumzaan obviously.

Damn I was convinced on the seb 21 but now im confused again!!

Has anyone had problems with the Zaan pivot ball? I saw concerns on youtube about ceramic ball posibly peening the blade till it became a problem.

Been collecting and using Chris Reeve products since 1998. I have one zaan, an old style tanto, from 2009. By far my most carried Reeve knife. I could have many but this is the one. A bullet proof design that is elegant and needs almost zero maintenance. This knife drastically slowed my knife acquisitions it is so good. The original design reflects a pivotal shift in approach to knife making at Chris Reeve Knives giving it a special place in their product line. Change the o-rings when needed and use it hard. I suggest go for it and add a new Sebenza some time down the road.

Reactions: P2P

Has anyone had problems with the Zaan pivot ball? I saw concerns on youtube about ceramic ball posibly peening the blade till it became a problem.

I’ve never had any problems with it on my ‘Zaan. If CRK noted any problem in the design, they wouldn’t have used it in the Inkosi or the new 31.

Even if you did have a problem, I am sure CRK would take care of it for you under warranty.

Thanks guys!! I will give it till tonight to decide! Maybe eventually I will just buy both!

I wasn't too keen on CRK, but ended up buying a Zaan, then a 21 and then an Inkosi in a 3 months span. So you can't go wrong.

My order of preference of what I own is Small Micarta Insingo Inkosi, Tanto Umnumzaan then Large wood inlay drop point Sebenza 21 with Damascus blade.
  • After my purchases I determined I have a personal preference for smaller
  • The Umnumzaan is by far the easiest opening
  • The Umnumzaan and Inkosi have similar technologies with that ceramic bead for the lockup (which is awesome!)
  • The Sebenza 31 may best them all (I'm still waiting on the call)
  • The Inkosi clip position is much more comfortable than the Umnumzaan to me. I removed the Umnumzaan clip, replaced it with the CRK titanium plug, and carry it in a case... now it has no hot spots for me
In summary, they are all awesome, but I carry a smaller knife much more, and the modern technology of the Umnumzaan and Inkosi is Baller.

Your personal preferences and intended use would really influence the recommendation.

dont watch you tube,

Back