Off Topic Question on the L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter

I hope this is the right place for my post; if not please let me know where I should have posted it. Also, I did search for any post on the L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter and did not see any.

I have recently purchased my first L.T. Wright knife. It is on its way so I can't really say anything about it besides I'm excited about it. It's a knife I have been eyeing for a while. The knife is the Small Northern Hunter. I haven't found much information on the knife and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. I got for an EDC knife and a backup/ companion blade to my Survive Knives GSO 7. I know a lot of people have their opinion on Survive Knives; that is not that knife I wish to discuss. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter. Mostly I'm wondering if its design would be good for an EDC blade and in case I forget, thank you, for the information and help.

I've taken mine on short hikes & car camping. Cut some paracord to length setting up the camp. Made a tent stake for 1 that was missing. Whittled fuzz sticks & wood shavings to get a fire started. Notched some sticks to use as a pot lifter. Good edge geometry & thin stock AEB-L makes it a good cutting blade. Not something I'd try to use for batoning, but it's a good choice for camp chores.

Thank you for a quick response. It will be my first blade in AEB-L. The thing that caught my attention on the knife is the blade shape. I’m glad to hear that it’s a good cutter.

I use mine mostly for gardening and house chores. Its size is suitable for daily carry as well. A few minutes on the Sharpmaker are enough to bring it back to full sharpness after a day's work. I agree with Halfneck's observation about its being a good cutting blade due to its edge geometry and thinness. Persons with larger hands might find the handle too small, but I can get exactly four fingers around it.

pCFhpqE.jpg

It is a good rendition of the classic Canadian Belt knife, and AEBL is a good stainless steel. I too have wondered if I should get one so this thread is helpful, or will be after some responses.

I just received my, Small Northern Hunter, as I have just received it I am unable to provide any details besides my initial thoughts on it. The overall fit and finish are great. It looks and like the scales are flush with the tang and there are no rough spots on the knife. It came razor sharp. It is one of the sharpest knives out of the box that I have received. As far as its size it is comparable to the size of an ESEE Izula. Even though the leather sheath is nice I think I will have one make for horizontal carry just because that is how I prefer to carry small fixed blades. Other than wanting to carry the knife horizontally. The sheath that it comes with is well made and has a very snug fit. There is no wiggle to the knife when sheathed and shook with a good amount of force. Also, mine came with a convex grind. Anyway, once I have spent more time with the knife I will post my thoughts on how it performs.

As I am new to the forum as far as having an account and posting I have yet to figure out how to post pictures. Once I figure that out I will post a few.

Even though I made the original post almost two years ago I decided to follow up with my thoughts on the L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter. I honestly just remembered making the original post. As of the moment, my Small Northern Hunter is my main EDC fixed blade. I also carry a folder, but as far as EDC fixed blade I usually carry one of two. Those are my Small Northern or my Tope Lucky 7. Since it is the Small Hunter that was the cause of my original post it will be my focus. The AEB-L steel takes a great edge. It also holds it well. The only complaint I have is that I wish there was a little more of a choil or guard to prevent the hand from slipping up onto the blade. The reason being my model has polished micarta scales. The blade shape has become one of my favorites and is one of the reasons I have come to like bladed with lots of belly. The scales are very comfortable and the knife as a whole is well balanced. Most people I have let handle the knife are surprised by how light it is. It is the fixed blade that I carry the most. It cuts whatever I want it to with ease whether it be food, wood, or other materials. All I can say after almost two years with this knife is that it is one of my favorite knives out of my small collection.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it has served you well. I almost got one but have a Canadian belt knife already and several other knives In AEBL. As a good follow up, there atill is a Grohmann #3 in carbon steel still on The Exchange, a little different but might make a good companion to it.:thumbsup:

Here is one that is similar that I received from GL Drew, with a small 3 inch blade of 52100, I also have a larger leaf shaped hunter from him in ATS 34 (still have to find that pic).

30C23F7E-BA53-450E-AB32-EB5D8DECB833.jpeg

Agreed - the SNH is a great EDC and regularly in my Top 3 rotation. I've been carrying it a lot lately in this Nordsmith pocket sheath:

8fwh4G.jpg

I am current;y looking for a new sheath for my SNH. The one that came with it has loosened up and has fallen out of the sheath a couple of times. It's the second L.T. knife sheath that I have had that happen with. I found out the Dan Tope Lucky 7 sheath also works for the SNH. I am in the process of trying to get a Lucky 7 sheath for my SNH, but your Nordsmith pocket sheath looks good. Do you know if they make a belt sheath that would work for the SNH?
Agreed - the SNH is a great EDC and regularly in my Top 3 rotation. I've been carrying it a lot lately in this Nordsmith pocket sheath:

8fwh4G.jpg

I am current;y looking for a new sheath for my SNH. The one that came with it has loosened up and has fallen out of the sheath a couple of times. It's the second L.T. knife sheath that I have had that happen with. I found out the Dan Tope Lucky 7 sheath also works for the SNH. I am in the process of trying to get a Lucky 7 sheath for my SNH, but your Nordsmith pocket sheath looks good. Do you know if they make a belt sheath that would work for the SNH?
I believe that is the only sheath that Nordsmith offers. You might try JRE Industries, or just order a smaller model of sheath from LT Wright than the one you currently have.

Back