Questions about a Huck Fin

I hope this is the right forum. I have been looking around but can not seem to find an answer so I will ask here, have there been 2 diff sizes of Huck fins? Or. is there a Huck and a Huck fin? The Huck being the bigger and the fin being the smaller one. The initial thread I saw was that both of them had a 12.5 in blade but from what I have seen now, the fin has around a 10in blade. Hope someone can help me out

There are three Huck's, which is probably why you are getting confused. The Huck and the Huck Fin were released at the same time, the Huck Fin has the harpoon fin on the top of the blade where the Huck does not.

Later, Busse released the Fusion Battle Huck Fin which is the smaller sibling to the Huck Fin. They did not release a smaller Huck.

Original threads:

Huck and Huck Fin

Fusion Battle Huck Fin

If I remember correctly, there is a huck, and a huck fin, with same length blade.

There is a smaller Khukri, with the fin. I seem to remember seeing the pair together? Maybe I am smoking crack!!

That seems to be where I would be getting confused was with the fusion huck fin. It would seem like the smaller one would be easier to use and be more useful to me but I don't know for sure. Does the extra length of the larger huck fin help it out with battoning or doing other work. Would the smaller one be easier to use for most applications?

If you're getting a HUCK Fin, of either size, it is going to tear up a baton pretty quickly. The fin is just shy of actually being sharpened. So it will eat into a wooden baton like nobody's business.
Unfortunately, the Fusion handle was only offered on the Fusion Battle HUCK Fin. I jumped on it anyway, even though I'd much rather have had the Fusion Battle HUCK without the fin, just like my HUCK.
I have used the FBHF some. It was my first time using a kukri shape, and it is going to take some getting used to. After a full day of use, I was still having some miss strikes. I have not use my HUCK (12" blade) at all. Probably won't until I have some more time with the FBHF. I'd hate to have a mis-strike with the full sized HUCK! :eek:

Edited to add: if you are interested at all in doing draw-knife type work with something like a HUCK, the fin pretty much makes that a non-starter. The fin seems to be for exactly what the smaller one's name implies: BATTLE.

^ I wonder if someone like, say, Josh @ Razor edge, could make the Fusion Huck Fin a Fusion Huck no-Fin ;)...

I would bet so.
I have never worked with him. He is still doing business? For some reason, I had the impression he was doing less work. Even though I occasionally see a knife done by him. I guess I assumed those were already in the “pipeline.”

I think the BGHnF would be a fantastic blade. Although it would probably take a bit of the chopping weight out of it. It would be a bit narrower without that fin.

ETA: One last thing. Don’t get me wrong, from any of my replies. The FBHF is one of the best Busse buys I’ve done. It is an immensely useful chopping tool, and downright wicked “battle blade.” I just wanted to point out some features that would make it precarious to use in some of the bushcrafty things I see done. Not that it couldn’t do them, and well, I believe. But certain accommodations might have to be made.

Last edited:
Actually, looking at the photos in the original FBHF, taking the fin off wouldn’t make it that narrower, I guess. It would be quite graceful, too. DANG! Now you have me thinking... :eek:

I've never had anything done by him (Josh) either, but from the many pics of his work around here, on BF, he's doing excellent work. And, I've seen his posts around where he was offering his services... guessing he's active, but not sure.

Cheers!
C.

You’re almost undoubtedly correct.

I’m tempted. MIGHT do it. WILL post photos if I do.

The Fusion Battle Huck Fin is pretty awesome. I always wanted to try a Kukri but couldn't see myself carrying the bigger ones. a couple things about it. because of the swoop of the blade there's no choil, which I have very much gotten used too, and regularly find my finger above the talon hole. not sure yet if I want to do something about that. also, I typically don't use anything with sharp objects facing me and am extra aware of the fin, which is sharp.

The first thing I thought picking it up was "shit this is dangerous for someone in front of me."

It's beautiful, balanced, cut's like a dream, and truly carries it's "battle" nomenclature well.

Also, if you scroll down to the Thanksgiving t-shirt contest thread you can see me dismantle a turkey with it.

Well, I bought one of the fbhf's from one of the members here. Can't wait for it to get here. Also, someone else is selling a Huck fin. Been looking at that one pretty hard also. Thanks for all the help.

Back