Questions about Emerson knives

But designwise, Emersons give up nothing to other manufacturers in that area.

Yeah, I originally thought that must be true, but I found both of my emersons to be quite uncomfortable in hand. I do think they look cool from a distance, though.

Yeah, I originally thought that must be true, but I found both of my emersons to be quite uncomfortable in hand. I do think they look cool from a distance, though.

I see that you had a Roadhouse and a CQC-15? I would tell you that there are many different handle shapes on the various Emerson models, most of which are more ergonomic than either the Roadhouse or the 15. I own a 15, though haven't ever owned a Roadhouse as that model does not appeal to me. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend the Commander (regular or Super), the CQC-8 (pick a size) or the CQC-13 as these are some of the most ergonomic models. This is my opinion only, many Emerson guys have their favorite designs, after all. I personally find all three of the knives I listed as being much better in the hand than my 15.

At the end of the day, ergos are really what set Emerson apart, and what sets them apart from each other, given that otherwise, they're all the same recipe: 154cm blade (stonewash or black coated), plain edge or with partial serrations (that's a pass for me, thanks!), and black G10. Some few models are available as flippers, and they work well.

All of that said, I would highly suggest keeping an eye out on the Exchange, or perhaps on one of the Emerson Facebook pages as knives come up for sale all the time, at far less than they cost new. As a example, I scored a Super Commander some months ago for something like $180. I can't even name another knife for $180 I'd take over the Super-Com, but that's just me. I know plenty of folks who don't like Emersons could name off a list as long as my arm. LOL

One last thing before I hit the sack for the night. I should caveat my post above with the statement that you should only look at those models I suggested if you want to. If you did not like the materials, the rough G10, or the stonewash (or black coated) finish before, it stands to reason you're not going to like it now. However, if something in the knife's imperfection spoke to you (like they do to those who enjoy them), then one of those might be worth a look. Have a good night.

One last thing before I hit the sack for the night. I should caveat my post above with the statement that you should only look at those models I suggested if you want to. If you did not like the materials, the rough G10, or the stonewash (or black coated) finish before, it stands to reason you're not going to like it now. However, if something in the knife's imperfection spoke to you (like they do to those who enjoy them), then one of those might be worth a look. Have a good night.
It wasn't the materials that bothered me, or the rough G10, and I absolutely adore the stonewashed finishes. It was the fact that they seemed to be put together by someone who didn't care, or who checked that the knives worked properly. Also wasn't impressed by the soft HT, though 154cm is fine by me.

As for the ergonomics, the knives all seem to be slab sided bricks. The shapes look fine but they just don't seem to translate well to 3D in my hands. I find my ZT 0620 to be much nicer.

I think I learned my lesson, thankfully not at much cost. Don't think I care to ever try any others, but I'll keep your advice in mind if I find myself straying again. Cheers.

Nothing wrong with slab sided bricks! That could also describe many G10 handled Spydercos, but they're usually considered quite ergonomIc.

Reading through this thread, it's kind of hard to envision what "perfect" or "good" fit and finish is as described by people who are happy with their Emersons, and what "sloppy" or "terrible" f&f is as described by those who were disappointed with their Emersons. Pictures might be nice ;).

For instance, in my opinion, these images from BladeHQ show imperfect fit and finish, but it's certainly not horrible and does not appear it would affect functionality. Here's what I can see- the scales are slightly larger than the liners and overhang just a tad, and there are tooling marks on the liners (especially the bottom right corner of the second picture) and the blade spine (wave and jimping). But these would be acceptable to me wouldn't particularly bother me on an Emerson, given their philosophy that their knives are just built to work and not necessarily to look pretty.
Emerson-Journeyman-SFS-Tanto-Black-SW-Serr-SOCKFKB-SFS-BHQ-50344-jr-spine.jpg

Emerson-Journeyman-SFS-Tanto-Black-SW-Serr-SOCKFKB-SFS-BHQ-50344-jr-side-large.jpg

For all I know though, those who were unhappy with their Emersons could have thought this was absolutely horrible and unacceptable while those who were happy with their Emersons thought this was good or perfect. Or maybe there are examples out there that really are way better or way worse than this. So....pictures please! :D

(I didn't address lockup issues here...but pics of the lockup would also be helpful)

The thing is that TODAY it costs pretty much the same to have stuff made that performs well AND looks pretty (if we talk about material finishes, tolerances, adjustments, etc). CNC machining is what it is, and with the right machines and skilled people, you can achive great results. In the long run the cost difference is very little.

What doesn't make much sense is to be proud of a product looking rough. You could be equally proud for a knife that works exactly the same... but has better finishes on the liners (for example) or with a level of machining that allows it to be taken appart and put together again and the outcome will always be the same.

Mikel

Nothing wrong with slab sided bricks! That could also describe many G10 handled Spydercos, but they're usually considered quite ergonomIc.

Reading through this thread, it's kind of hard to envision what "perfect" or "good" fit and finish is as described by people who are happy with their Emersons, and what "sloppy" or "terrible" f&f is as described by those who were disappointed with their Emersons. Pictures might be nice ;).

For instance, in my opinion, these images from BladeHQ show imperfect fit and finish, but it's certainly not horrible and does not appear it would affect functionality. Here's what I can see- the scales are slightly larger than the liners and overhang just a tad, and there are tooling marks on the liners (especially the bottom right corner of the second picture) and the blade spine (wave and jimping). But these would be acceptable to me wouldn't particularly bother me on an Emerson, given their philosophy that their knives are just built to work and not necessarily to look pretty.
Emerson-Journeyman-SFS-Tanto-Black-SW-Serr-SOCKFKB-SFS-BHQ-50344-jr-spine.jpg

Emerson-Journeyman-SFS-Tanto-Black-SW-Serr-SOCKFKB-SFS-BHQ-50344-jr-side-large.jpg

For all I know though, those who were unhappy with their Emersons could have thought this was absolutely horrible and unacceptable while those who were happy with their Emersons thought this was good or perfect. Or maybe there are examples out there that really are way better or way worse than this. So....pictures please! :D

(I didn't address lockup issues here...but pics of the lockup would also be helpful)
Must admit that I never perceived Spyderco knives as 'bricks';)

Sleek, slim maybe even elegant are not usually something used to describe a brick but would describe many a Spyderco knife quite well.

Slab sided? Yes, in the sense that they are flat but bricks? Nope.

The thing is that TODAY it costs pretty much the same to have stuff made that performs well AND looks pretty (if we talk about material finishes, tolerances, adjustments, etc). CNC machining is what it is, and with the right machines and skilled people, you can achive great results. In the long run the cost difference is very little.

What doesn't make much sense is to be proud of a product looking rough. You could be equally proud for a knife that works exactly the same... but has better finishes on the liners (for example) or with a level of machining that allows it to be taken appart and put together again and the outcome will always be the same.

Mikel

Actually my Emersons are some of the few knives I own that I can take apart and then put back together and they will go back together perfectly.

Actually my Emersons are some of the few knives I own that I can take apart and then put back together and they will go back together perfectly.

I recall someone in this thread stating that they didn't go together so well. Anyway, I might have not gotten my point across. I mean that if a knife is precisely made, putting it together repeatably shouldn't be a problem. Usually precission goes along with well machined surfaces, smoothness, etc.

I recall someone in this thread stating that they didn't go together so well. Anyway, I might have not gotten my point across. I mean that if a knife is precisely made, putting it together repeatably shouldn't be a problem. Usually precission goes along with well machined surfaces, smoothness, etc.

I did. That was my experience with the ones I owned.

Must admit that I never perceived Spyderco knives as 'bricks';)

Sleek, slim maybe even elegant are not usually something used to describe a brick but would describe many a Spyderco knife quite well.

Slab sided? Yes, in the sense that they are flat but bricks? Nope.

Haha! Yes, I'll have to agree with your point. I incorrectly combined the two and assumed the "slab sided bricks" description was intended to imply that being slab sided automatically made it a brick and ergonomically terrible.

For what it's worth, I find my SOCFK-B quite comfortable in hand. It really comes down to the handle shape, especially on slab sided knives where I think the handle profile is what really gives the knife most of its in-hand comfort.

Last edited:
Back