Questions about Emerson knives

That is how I see it. An Emerson knife is like a Porsche 911. There are:

faster cars
better build cars
cars with more space for the luggage
cars made with better materials
etc. ...

but what there are all missing is the feel of a Porsche 911.
For me, the CQC7-B is the 911 of the knife world.

Also one other thing I forgot to add in my post above.

When we came back from Afghanistan, our unit ordered knives with our unit insignia. We let our soldiers vote on what they wanted.

The choices were
Cold Steel Recon 1
ZT 0350
Spyderco PM2
Emerson CQC7

The unit voted for the Emerson. (I voted PM2)
Funny thing is, the Recon 1 would out-live every single one of those knives in an abusive environment and probably second to none in the ergonomics department. Sometimes what we "want" is exactly that, a want, based on looks, personal taste and brand names. Doesn't always mean it's best tool for the job. They all cut stuff and are well made tho, buy what makes you smile.

Funny thing is, the Recon 1 would out-live every single one of those knives in an abusive environment and probably second to none in the ergonomics department. Sometimes what we "want" is exactly that, a want, based on looks, personal taste and brand names. Doesn't always mean it's best tool for the job. They all cut stuff and are well made tho, buy what makes you smile.

I'm glad to know that a soldier of the US Military has found that an Emerson Knife has suited him properly. I have no reason to act like a child and pretend that I have better knowledge of knives because I've owned a Cold Steel.

If you want a Commander, then that's what you should get. You won't be satisfied until you do. The Commander is my only Emerson & it lives up to it's reputation as a tough, well made, easily maintained, hard use knife. I personally find it a bit larger than I like in my pocket for edc, but it's found a place clipped to the center console of my truck, where it's handy.

I have put away a few bucks and want to pick up a new knife and I have a few questions for those who own Emerson knives. I met Mr. Emerson at Blade Show last year and found him to be one of the nicest and most friendly knife makers there. I have always been intrigued with the Commander due to the blade shape and excellent stonewash finish.
My question is, are they worth the money compared to other brands in that price range? I hear complaints about fit and finish and weak detents. Are the weak detents common on pretty much all their knives or specific models? I would not be satisfied with my purchase if I could lightly shake my knife and the blade falls open.

Thanks. I really want to give Emerson a try.

They are kind of like a harley or an old muscle car. They aren’t the most technologically up to date knife but most people seem to either love them or hate them with little in between. They are kind of expensive for what you get in terms of material but they are super rugged and tough. The blades are usually ground with tips that will let the knife shrug off use that would snap most knives tips off. In short there is very little I won’t do with my Emerson short of heavy prying or things a folding knife isn’t designed for. (Like batoning) Also the chisel edge is actually very sharp and easier to sharpen imho. The commander comes with a V main bevel grind but a chisel edge.

Personally I love them, the cqc7 linerlock is an all time favourite knife of mine. I got the cqc7 framelock (hd7) and that has become my all time favourite knife as it is thinner in the pocket than the liner locks. I love the cqc7 series because I like the way the straight handle makes the knife comfortable in any grip. Also the size is ideal for me, small enough to edc comfortably but large enough to double as a fighting folder. The commander is a great knife just make sure you can sharpen recurves. It is more comfortable in most standard grips due to its ergonomic handle.

Cqc7 family (cqc7f, cqc7v, cqc7k [kershaw collab] ZT 0620)
u9Rvapv.jpg

Hd7 given to me by a generous member. This one has virtually no detent but still has never opened in my pocket and I carry it every day. Still going strong.
5z4FBjS.jpg

They don’t have a snappy detent for flicking the blade open but rather a softer detent. Emerson linerlocks also have a double detent, one on the lock bar, one on the opposite side. That said none of my Emersons will shake out of the handle unless you were forcefuly trying to shake it out. (Won’t open by accident) That said most Emersons except the flipper tab ones seem to come kind of grimey inside with a copper flecked grease. I find they are much smoother once you take them apart and give them a cleaning and relube them with mineral oil or your lube of choice.

The wave is one of the best features of an Emerson and lets them be some of the only folding knives that are practical as a self defense knife in a pinch. (Fixed blades are usually way better for self defense. In some cases though I can get a waved knife out faster for example if a heavy winter jacket is covering my fixed blade. Also I reverse wave and practice practice practice.)

Here is a pic of me reverse waving my Spyderco Pikal from my left pocket. The opposite direction of a regular wave draw. Emersons come tapped for right hand carry so that means they will regular wave from the right pocket and reverse wave from the left pocket. (Except the folding karambits which are set up to reverse wave from the right pocket)
oGRGRmz.jpg

So finally they are expensive for what you get. However imho there is no other knife on the market that compares to an Emerson or has that Emerson feel.

Edit: btw I have never seen a more recent Emerson with a weak detent.

Last edited:
I carried a a particular Emerson folder almost everyday for about 10 years...many a dark and stormy night, both at work and on my own time. Never let me down and I have no real complaints (tho thumb disc isn't my favorite method). It could probably go another decade, but its mostly retired these days. Nuff said.

Boss

I'm glad to know that a soldier of the US Military has found that an Emerson Knife has suited him properly. I have no reason to act like a child and pretend that I have better knowledge of knives because I've owned a Cold Steel.

You know what's childish bender? assuming that just because you're in the military you know anything about the mechanics and boundaries of folding knives and their internal components as much as people who use, dismantle and test their strengths and weaknesses over decades. Oh wait, sorry, i forgot military men sit there playing with folding knives all day. 80% of the guys on this forum know more about folding knives and steel than your average soldier in the US military. It's not their job to play with folders, they have far more important things to do.

Ps. I have missed your sarcastic attempts.

For that money you can go better with Benchmade.

Benchmade mades a good knife no doubt, some really nice blades.

But man alive, you can't swing a dead cat around twice without hitting someone that has a Benchmade their pocket (not w/o good reason).I sometimes prefer to be a part of a little smaller crowd.

Boss

Won't know until you try it. I have owned a few Emersons. My mini commander is the only one I still own. It works great and feels good in the hand. Nice stout tip. I never worry that I might damage the knife. Got mine for a good deal off the exchange. If you buy new, the Emerson website often has a 10%off code. They are pricy new, but you may just love it.

You know what's childish bender? assuming that just because you're in the military you know anything about the mechanics and boundaries of folding knives and their internal components as much as people who use, dismantle and test their strengths and weaknesses over decades. Oh wait, sorry, i forgot military men sit there playing with folding knives all day. 80% of the guys on this forum know more about folding knives and steel than your average soldier in the US military. It's not their job to play with folders, they have far more important things to do.

Ps. I have missed your sarcastic attempts.

I'm not in the military, nor have I ever been a part of it. I use every knife I own and understand the mechanics behind every knife I own. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I'll hop on for a joy ride:D

I'm not in the military, nor have I ever been a part of it. I use every knife I own and understand the mechanics behind every knife I own. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I'll hop on for a joy ride:D

:) We won't go on with this any further than needed. My point was that regardless of peoples flavor choice with knives, mechanically there are some knives better suited for tasks than others. Just because a bunch of military guys wanted an emerson over some other brands doesn't mean the emerson is a tougher, more suited knife for a harsh environment, it simply means they wanted it, and that's totally cool, more power to them. Just like a Bugatti isn't the best car for me to commute on, but i'd still want one.

You said with some sarcasm that i was being childish and claimed to know more about knives than someone in the military because i owned a cold steel - and i'd say yes - myself, you and many here do know more about folders than the majority of military guys. They don't have an obsession with knives like most of us, nor do they care about which lock is stronger, which blade steel holds an edge longer and the limitations of internal components etc. they pull out a knife to cut something and put it back in pocket. So that's about it, I don't feel I should have to tippy toe around a knife forum just because stating a few real world opinions about knives in case i step on a fan boys toes, it's just a place to chatter about knives. I like all knives, weather it be Cold Steel to CRK, I own all brands, some are just better at certain things than others.

They are kind of like a harley or an old muscle car. They aren’t the most technologically up to date knife but most people seem to either love them or hate them with little in between. They are kind of expensive for what you get in terms of material but they are super rugged and tough. The blades are usually ground with tips that will let the knife shrug off use that would snap most knives tips off. In short there is very little I won’t do with my Emerson short of heavy prying or things a folding knife isn’t designed for. (Like batoning) Also the chisel edge is actually very sharp and easier to sharpen imho. The commander comes with a V main bevel grind but a chisel edge.

Personally I love them, the cqc7 linerlock is an all time favourite knife of mine. I got the cqc7 framelock (hd7) and that has become my all time favourite knife as it is thinner in the pocket than the liner locks. I love the cqc7 series because I like the way the straight handle makes the knife comfortable in any grip. Also the size is ideal for me, small enough to edc comfortably but large enough to double as a fighting folder. The commander is a great knife just make sure you can sharpen recurves. It is more comfortable in most standard grips due to its ergonomic handle.

Cqc7 family (cqc7f, cqc7v, cqc7k [kershaw collab] ZT 0620)
u9Rvapv.jpg

Hd7 given to me by a generous member. This one has virtually no detent but still has never opened in my pocket and I carry it every day. Still going strong.
5z4FBjS.jpg

They don’t have a snappy detent for flicking the blade open but rather a softer detent. Emerson linerlocks also have a double detent, one on the lock bar, one on the opposite side. That said none of my Emersons will shake out of the handle unless you were forcefuly trying to shake it out. (Won’t open by accident) That said most Emersons except the flipper tab ones seem to come kind of grimey inside with a copper flecked grease. I find they are much smoother once you take them apart and give them a cleaning and relube them with mineral oil or your lube of choice.

The wave is one of the best features of an Emerson and lets them be some of the only folding knives that are practical as a self defense knife in a pinch. (Fixed blades are usually way better for self defense. In some cases though I can get a waved knife out faster for example if a heavy winter jacket is covering my fixed blade. Also I reverse wave and practice practice practice.)

Here is a pic of me reverse waving my Spyderco Pikal from my left pocket. The opposite direction of a regular wave draw. Emersons come tapped for right hand carry so that means they will regular wave from the right pocket and reverse wave from the left pocket. (Except the folding karambits which are set up to reverse wave from the right pocket)
oGRGRmz.jpg

So finally they are expensive for what you get. However imho there is no other knife on the market that compares to an Emerson or has that Emerson feel.

Edit: btw I have never seen a more recent Emerson with a weak detent.

Where did you get the emerson cqc-7 flipper scales? Also, I saw some reviews where squeezing the handle hard, could disengage the linerlock. Had any problems with that?

[...] and probably second to none in the ergonomics department. [...]

How something feels in the hand, which is only part of the ergonomics of a hand tool - but a very important part, is subjective.

In my experience the Recon-1 is a very tough folder, but the ergonomics are not even fourth to one. YMMV

I am an Emerson fan - the man himself, his company, and his knives. I EDC a hand ground custom (Gentleman Jim). 154cm on nytralon washers, and it cost approximately 4 times what the titanium framelock solid CF scale S90V Spyderco Military that showed up yesterday did. The Mili is a better slicer, will (very likely) hold its superior edge vastly longer, the Mili is much more pocket friendly (now that it has been OM-Hacked®) - in practically every conceivable way is functionally superior, ignoring cost differential. Nevertheless, I personally DO derive 4x the pleasure out of my Custom GJ. I am selective about where I deliberately choose to be a fan - as a devout knife nut, my personal carry knife is absolutely one of those places.

This thread needs pic's:

OM-Hack® Military
63ySf6Kl.jpg

i2tMfEBl.jpg

PN9xCUZl.jpg

Ernie Emerson Custom Gentleman Jim
lCFy1Myl.jpg

PF9OHhAl.jpg

ADkSgRal.jpg

vrtqOhpl.jpg

Emerson's are some of my favourites and what I carry most.

Great knives which are made to be tools first with a first class warranty.

The commander is great. I think you will enjoy it.

As an aside, I'd recommend buying new and letting her break in. All the Emersons I've had issues with were because the previous owner had taken them apart and fucked around with them without knowing what they were doing...

Last edited:
I too wanted to try an Emerson at one point. I picked up a cqc 7 tanto thru a trade. I got a good deal on it and thought it was one of my few chances to try an Emerson (usually out of my price range).

Like some of the others have said. I wasn't impressed. Fit n finish was not good. Wave feature tears up your pants. I learned to dislike the chisel grind. I kept thinking "This is what an almost $200 knife is like?". I traded it off after trying it for 6 months or so.

I have heard nothing but good things about Ernie the person. He is knowledge and very likable. My one experience with his knives was not a good one. I think you can do better for the money (ZT or Spyderco). YMMV.

EDIT - if you decide to buy an Emerson, I'd try the forum here and look for a user/reduced price one. If it isn't for you, you shouldn't have too much trouble unloading it for a small $ hit.

Back