Questions about Emerson knives

If you want an Emerson, buy an Emerson.

In my experience they're poorly constructed, frequently have lockup issues, and represent a poor value proposition when you compare the materials used and fit and finish with their prices. They draw tacticool mall ninjas like poop draws flies. They're wildly inferior to the ZT collab Emersons, and IMO at least slightly inferior to the Kershaw collab knives. That said, Emersons do have their own sort of expensive-gas-station-knife charm and I have a few of them and carry one semi-regularly (a lightly customized CQC-7V).

If you want an Emerson, buy an Emerson.

Interesting across-the-board perspectives. Have never owned one.

According to the header on BladeHQ, Emerson "has become one of the most dominant forces in the cutlery industry."

According to Knife Center, Emerson "have come to represent several basic ideals - Strength - Honor - Loyalty - Integrity. These ideals, are the same ideals upon which this country was founded, and have become the solid foundation that has made this country the great nation that it is today."

Strong statements. They must have a passionate following.

You are going to get a ton of answers on here of many different opinions. Build quality etc will inevitably come up as will the chisel Grind.

Here’s my experience with Emerson Knives.

I spent 22 years in the Army before I retired. I deployed many times over this time period and carried knives every single day made by Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson, Gerber, Buck, etc and absolutely beat the crap out of my knives.
My favorite EDC is a Spyderco PM2 and I have an affinity for the Military. I preach the gospel of the PM2 so my opinion of Emerson isn’t of some fanboy.

Strictly speaking about Emerson. They are absolutely one of THE most respected names/brands among members of the military for a reason. They work, they hold an edge in the field, and the Emerson company stands by its products.

Emerson gets a great treat out of the 154CM steel. Not my favorite steel but benchmade and Emerson both believe in it and get their money’s worth out of it. Someone will come along here shortly and say “for the money you can get a better knife with better steel for the same price”. Yes that’s true, but sharpening some of the super steels when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan was a pain. The 154cm works just fine and is much easier to sharpen.

The hardware is adjustable with field ready tools. Normal screwdriver Phillip and flathead screwdrivers. You don’t have to special order special bits. The Emerson WILL require a break in and some adjustments but once you get it dialed in it’s great.

The lock is strong enough. Yes sir, there are stronger locks out there. (PM2 for example) but the Emerson is just fine.

Ergonomics are very good and carries well. The wave feature is cool although I mostly use the thumb disks to open.

Would I recommend an Emerson? Absolutely.
Are there better knives out there? Yes there are.
Will I buy more Emerson’s? Yep
Would an Emerson be something I could use and trust again in a combat deployment? Yes
Is an Emerson the best for EDC for a civilian? Honestly, I think there are better knives out there in the hard use/tactical line that might be better suited. However that’s not a knock on Emerson. It’s a testimony to how good other knives are.

Yes I think all knife guys/gals should own an Emerson at some point.

Wow, I had to check and see if this was MY post or not? Very similar experience and after 29 years (and still in Afghanistan for some reason), I couldn't agree more. I use knives and I like knives...several types. For almost 20 years, I carried both an Emerson and a Spyderco Military; I EDC'd other knives, but for deployments, combat, field exercises, etc...it was those two. I started with a Benchmade/Emerson CQC7 in the early 90's and picked up others. Honestly, the Wave feature has been the key component for me. Yeah, I have the ZT 0630...one of my favorites, but there's just been something about Emerson knives that just fits me.

I tell people who get sticker shock not to expect excellent fit and finish, some odd aspects like the chisel grind, and the materials are pretty average. For me, it's just one of my bladed tools that simply works every time. There are better knives for the money when you talk about materials and finish...most who own Emerson knives would agree. Most knife enthusiasts don't get excited about the fit/finish and materials Emerson knives relative to their market price...and I can understand. But I've used them in the field, and hard, for several years...other knives would likely work just as well, but Emerson knives have just been used more than any of my other blades; and the "wave" is that fastest one-hand deployment method for any folder I've used in the past 30+years and that's a nice feature for my line of work.

Oh, I forgot to add that my son and I met Ernie at the Blade Show back in 2012 (I think). He was quite gracious and my son still has that picture. I also gifted my son the Sheepdog upon his graduation from Infantry School last year and will try and get him something special from Ernie when he graduates college and gets his Commission in a few years.

In fact, maybe that's what it is. Emerson's are much like Service Members...we are expensive and cost the tax payers quite a bit:D; but we're designed to just simply work hard, nothing flashy, not sexy, not always pretty, some are a little "off-center"...but reliable, dependable, and always ready to deploy...

ROCK6

Last edited:
I don't understand that rationale. Any cold steel would perform just as well as an emerson while active duty. I actually bought my first "real" folder a cold steel recon 1(ultra lock) from the PX on base.

I never saw an emerson while active duty. They aren't any more durable than almost any other knife. Actually less so than many knives. I was in from 08 to 12. Guess I wasn't in long enough to see these mythical emersons.

They aren't magic, it's thin Ti liners with g10 and soft 154cm. Some how my cold steel from the px didn't disintegrate from being abused.

And fact is most soldiers aren't knife nuts. They (at least the ones I know/knew) don't spend all day on the internet contemplating knives lol I didn't while I was active. Now I'm bladeforums knife nut though.

Last edited:
My own personal opinion:

Back in the late '90s into early 2K, I tried out several Emersons. At a rough count, about 8 of them. Three CQC7A's, 2 CQC7B's, 1 Commander, 1Mini-Comander, and 1 LaGriffe, all brand new. I really wanted to like them as EDC tools. And while most of them felt very good in my hand (except the LaGriffe), I ended up finding that none of them suit my purposes well. The blade shapes, the thick grinds, and in a few of them, the lockup became weak and developed lock slip in very little time.

I'm not on any anti-Emerson bandwagon. They just didn't work out for my preferences and uses of a knife. And I didn't find them any more 'hard use' than, say, any of my Spydercos, Benchmades, CRKs, Cold Steels, and Victorinox SAKs. In fact, my SAKs ran circles around any of my Emersons in terms of versatility AND cutting ability. Now, someone might say that the SAKs are of a softer steel that wouldn't hold an edge as long in hard use. That may be true, but the SAKs in question were about $20 apiece, too. And although vastly different knives, comparing fit/finish/consistency, the SAKs won hands down, as well.

Years ago, I had heard that a good part of the reason Emerson Knives became so highly sought-after in military circles was due to Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior book series, which often featured Emerson knives (usually the CQC6 or CQC7). A couple of David Morrell's novels also featured the CQC7. I'm not sure how many young guys nowadays are still reading novels, but by now, the Emerson brand has long been firmly established as military-related.

I have heard that Emersons have been improved over the time I was buying and trying them. I satisfied my curiosity; I REALLY wanted to like them, but they never really worked out for me. Of the lot I owned, my favorite turned out to be the CQC7B, but even that never suited my purposes.

But everybody is different. If you really need to 'scratch that itch', you'll probably keep thinking about it until you do. And you may be one of those for whom Emerson knives are a great fit. At the least, you'll have satisfied that curiosity.

Jim

Last edited:
I don't understand that rationale. Any cold steel would perform just as well as an emerson while active duty. I actually bought my first "real" folder a cold steel recon 1(ultra lock) from the PX on base.

I never saw an emerson while active duty. They aren't any more durable than almost any other knife. Actually less so than many knives. I was in from 08 to 12. Guess I wasn't in long enough to see these mythical emersons.

They aren't magic, it's thin Ti liners with g10 and soft 154cm. Some how my cold steel from the px didn't disintegrate from being abused.

And fact is most soldiers aren't knife nuts. They (at least the ones I know/knew) don't spend all day on the internet contemplating knives lol I didn't while I was active. Now I'm bladeforums knife nut though.
"Lynn Thompson vs Ernie Emerson" is the difference for me. If we truly don't care what company/man we back, then there is no need for anything not China-CNC produced.

Additionally, I do find a "connection" with a true Emerson design (missing from the ZT/Kershaw collaborations). Cold Steel models seem like cheap discount store knives (grip particularly) to me.

I'd kick that up a step further. From personal experience, even most SF guys aren't knife nuts. At least they weren't back in the early 90's when I was assigned to 3rd Group and later 10th Group. The knife I remember seeing most frequently was the basic original Leatherman. There were also a lot of Gerbers (that's what the PX sold, mostly).

Outside of our community of knife-obsessed wackos, knives are just basic work tools to people whose work requires cutting things.

"Lynn Thompson vs Ernie Emerson" is the difference for me. If we truly don't care what company/man we back, then there is no need for anything not China-CNC produced.

Additionally, I do find a "connection" with a true Emerson design (missing from the ZT/Kershaw collaborations). Cold Steel models seem like cheap discount store knives (grip particularly) to me.
I can't disagree on Lynn Thompson at all. Not even a little bit. I tried maybe 4 or 5 emersons over the years and never got that connection you speak of. Not saying it's a unicorn just saying I don't/didn't feel that way about my tools/things.

I'd kick that up a step further. From personal experience, even most SF guys aren't knife nuts. At least they weren't back in the early 90's when I was assigned to 3rd Group and later 10th Group. The knife I remember seeing most frequently was the basic original Leatherman. There were also a lot of Gerbers (that's what the PX sold, mostly).

Outside of our community of knife-obsessed wackos, knives are just basic work tools to people whose work requires cutting things.
I agree on all accounts. I didn't know you were sf, thank you for your service.

On the gerber note, I was issued a gerber mp600 before deployment. I still have it.

Where did you get the emerson cqc-7 flipper scales? Also, I saw some reviews where squeezing the handle hard, could disengage the linerlock. Had any problems with that?

It’s not squeezing the scales, it’s that there are certain grips that will cause your finger to hit the lockbar. Because of that I have relegated it to a light use knife. If you are aware of the problem it is easy to avoid but annoying to say the least. So far I have never actually had it happen to me but playing around with different grips I can make it happen.

If you look at this pic closing your pointer finger the meat of the finger on either your right or left hand touches the lock bar and pushes it over slightly. Not enough to actually unlock it but enough to cause slight up and down play. For a long time I thought the folder had up and down play until I noticed the way I was gripping the knife when trying to wiggle the blade up and down was causing my finger to slightly bump the lock. It hasb’t ever been enough to cause the blade to unlock, just enough to cause very slight up and down play. (Someone with more meat on their finger or who grips differently could theoretically cause an unlock though)
TZLxGwR.jpg

I am an Emerson fan - the man himself, his company, and his knives. I EDC a hand ground custom (Gentleman Jim). 154cm on nytralon washers, and it cost approximately 4 times what the titanium framelock solid CF scale S90V Spyderco Military that showed up yesterday did. The Mili is a better slicer, will (very likely) hold its superior edge vastly longer, the Mili is much more pocket friendly (now that it has been OM-Hacked®) - in practically every conceivable way is functionally superior, ignoring cost differential. Nevertheless, I personally DO derive 4x the pleasure out of my Custom GJ. I am selective about where I deliberately choose to be a fan - as a devout knife nut, my personal carry knife is absolutely one of those places.

This thread needs pic's:

OM-Hack® Military
63ySf6Kl.jpg

i2tMfEBl.jpg

PN9xCUZl.jpg

Ernie Emerson Custom Gentleman Jim
lCFy1Myl.jpg

PF9OHhAl.jpg

ADkSgRal.jpg

vrtqOhpl.jpg

That is an amazing and honest account. Some knives just bring us pleasure. For most knives there is another model that offers “better value for cheaper etc” but sometimes we fall in love with certain models/companies. That is what it is all about!

Btw what is really intriguing me is those jeans with the leather at the corner of the pocket! Wave safe jeans!? What brand are those? (Too bad they don’t have leather at the corner of the pockets closer to the zipper) Also is there leather reinforcement on the left pocket too? I believe they are some kind of work jeans right?

I always said Ernie could make a killing selling pants with reinforced wave safe pockets, Emerson Brand.

I bought a used Emerson because I wanted an Emerson a couple years ago I had a Kershaw Emerson and it was fine but not an Emerson. It took a bit of work and $65 to get the knife the way I like it but I knew that walking in. It's not the best knife ever but it's not the worst either but it is interesting and is the brain child of someone interesting so it'll stay even if I likely won't carry it much.

I appreciate all the information and your personal experiences with Emerson knives. I am intrigured by the Commander and I have decided to pull the trigger and take my chances. Hopefully I will recieve a good example. I will come back and share my personal thoughts after I have had a few days to check it out.

In all honesty Emerson has always reminded me of Lynn. They are big self promoters that come off as being a little ridiculous.
The counterterrorism crap is barely a step up from the videos of hacking away at hanging meat. But I guess it works for them because they are both successful.

....and neither of them have straight up lied about their (lack of) military service like that jack ass Mickey Burger.

I am an Emerson fan - the man himself, his company, and his knives. I EDC a hand ground custom (Gentleman Jim). 154cm on nytralon washers, and it cost approximately 4 times what the titanium framelock solid CF scale S90V Spyderco Military that showed up yesterday did. The Mili is a better slicer, will (very likely) hold its superior edge vastly longer, the Mili is much more pocket friendly (now that it has been OM-Hacked®) - in practically every conceivable way is functionally superior, ignoring cost differential. Nevertheless, I personally DO derive 4x the pleasure out of my Custom GJ. I am selective about where I deliberately choose to be a fan - as a devout knife nut, my personal carry knife is absolutely one of those places.

This thread needs pic's:

OM-Hack® Military
63ySf6Kl.jpg

i2tMfEBl.jpg

PN9xCUZl.jpg

lCFy1Myl.jpg

PF9OHhAl.jpg

ADkSgRal.jpg

vrtqOhpl.jpg
Really like that military mod. Any problems with it coming loose or twisting?

found him to be one of the nicest and most friendly knife makers there
Personally I prefer the old crotchety bastard that mumbles " get away from me kid; you bug meeeeee" but makes the best knives but . . . that's just me.

Last edited:

This thread needs pic's:

OM-Hack® Military
63ySf6Kl.jpg

i2tMfEBl.jpg

PN9xCUZl.jpg

lCFy1Myl.jpg

PF9OHhAl.jpg

ADkSgRal.jpg

vrtqOhpl.jpg

Now that's a nice Emerson! Some of them have a weird blade to handle ratio to me, where the blade just looks to small.

Emerson knives are knives.
They will work as knives, and cut things.
If you are buying one expecting something other than a knife, you will be disappointed. ;)

Back