Questions about Emerson knives

It has arrived!
I will start out by saying that I have never been more pleased with a knife purchase.
When the box arrived, there was this tense anxious anticipation. I've been reading about these known Emerson issues like fit/finish, blade centering, detent etc. so I didn't know what to expect.
Here is what I found... I found the fit and finish to be 100% what I was hoping for. Honestly, I don't have a single gripe about the knife I received. The blade is almost perfectly centered, it has no blade play in any direction. The detent is in my opinion perfect. It has a single detent ball. I believe the older ones have the 2 detent system. I tried shaking the blade and it will not open inadvertently. The detent as a very distinct snap when closing. The action of the knife is what completely surprised me. I expected a tight and gritty action. This is not at all the case. It has butter smooth action that will fall shut with just the slighted shake. The G10 is perfectly executed, not a single tool mark or fitting flaw, no gaps etc. It looks like Emerson has stepped up their game from what others have posted in the past with problems. Also this blade is just beautiful. They did a really nice job on the stone washed finish. The brand stamping is dark and clean. It is razor sharp and probably the sharpest knife I have ever received out of the box. I thought my PM2 was sharp but this thing is crazy sharp. I wear a Band-Aid on my finger as I type this.
* I will post a couple pics tonight after work.
Glad to hear you got a good one :thumbsup:
Hopefully this is a turning point for the company and we'll start seeing this more often.

ALL companies have anomalies, but these stand tall with any production knives.

Except that in my experience with Emersons, the anomalies are the knives without issues. I handled a half-dozen of the same model (CQC-7V), all new, at a huge knife shop trying to find one that didn't have major issues, and couldn't. They all either had lock stick or, disturbingly, lock movement with light spine pressure.

Admittedly I haven't handled any 2018 models, so I'm willing to believe it's possible that they've gotten their act together finally. Do they do a bearing/single detent version of the 7V? I couldn't tell from looking at the model listings on their site.

I kinda hope they don't start rolling out bearing pivots to more models. I like the old school nylatron washers and I miss the dual detents :'(

I swapped the Nylatron for Phosphor Bronze within the first couple days of owning mine it feels much more modern that way

Last edited:
As promised :D
FXPceFX.jpg

As promised :D
FXPceFX.jpg
Does it still have laser/grind marks all over the blade thumb ramp/wave hook/tang? Mine looked fine from this angle, but I found that all the problems were only visible in the other views.

I can see they're still surface grinding their liners with what looks like an 80 grit belt.

Maybe Emerson has cleaned up their act. I mean if specimens like the OP’s new knife become the norm with features like drop on its own weight bearings and good fit and finish, I would be willing to try one. But until I see more and more people say they got a perfect Emerson from these new batches, I will remain skeptical because only Emerson I ever handled told me to never handle one again

Does it still have laser/grind marks all over the blade thumb ramp/wave hook/tang? Mine looked fine from this angle, but I found that all the problems were only visible in the other views.

I can see they're still surface grinding their liners with what looks like an 80 grit belt.
2lUoNRy.jpg

Nice and smooth. No grind marks on the blade or ramp area.

2lUoNRy.jpg

Nice and smooth. No grind marks on the blade or ramp area.

That looks pretty decent. Way better than my 2012 roadhouse did.

I can see some tooling marks but I can't say I'd complain about them if it were my knife. Maybe I'll have to check out a 2018 model sometime, once more feedback becomes available and there's some used ones floating around.

Maybe Emerson has cleaned up their act. I mean if specimens like the OP’s new knife become the norm with features like drop on its own weight bearings and good fit and finish, I would be willing to try one. But until I see more and more people say they got a perfect Emerson from these new batches, I will remain skeptical because only Emerson I ever handled told me to never handle one again
The last 4 or 5 Emersons I’ve bought have been perfect examples so I think they have got more consistent with fit and finish . Although haven’t got a 2018 model yet but will have one soon .
Ordered another Tiger last night :thumbsup:

IMO it's greatly exaggerated that in the past there were major issues. Seemed like folks just had to find something to complain about why they were spending so much money and it's not a show piece. This commander OP got is standard for the last at least 8 years in terms of quality with regard to fit and finish. They also have expanded options that Emerson never intended, such as flippers and bearing as the market demand was so high.

Guess I'm allowed to post this here:

https://emersonknives.com/emerson-blog-project/the-fit-finish/

Interesting take from the master himself. Should keep the Emerson lovers loving and the haters hating.

I just bought a new Emerson Endeavor from a local authorized dealer, and got a decent price on it (had some undetectable scratches or something, really couldn't see anything wrong). It's too early to form any opinions on it, but it seems tight with no blade play and a solid lock-up and detent. It's a 2013 model, and what really sealed the deal is the serial number is my area code. Awesome!

I did notice one fit/finish anomaly (like that word better than flaw)- the one liner is thinner than the other, has a fair number of tooling marks, and is not the same width at the rear as it is in the front. Kinda odd, but what the hey.

I've only had one Emerson & I couldn't get past the chisel edge. I wanted to like it but traded it off pretty quickly. Some people love them, but I'll pass.

Back