Questions about Leather Sewing Machines

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm entertaining the idea of getting a machine. I'd like to verify some of what I've found, make sure I'm on the right track and ask for reccomendations.

My only experience on a sewing machine (of any type) was running a Cobra 20 very briefly at a leather shop I visited recently.

I believe in "Buy Once, Cry Once" and have been looking at a Cobra 4 Premium I'm just not convinced that it would be a wise investment for me personally yet. At the cost of my grinder and HT Oven combined, I am hesitant.

I'd be using it mainly for sheaths, and maybe the occasional holster/belt/pouch/etc.. From what I gather, those types of projects call for 207 thread and maybe one size above and below (?).

It looks like the thickness of an average sheath rule out a lot of machines. Though I doubt I'll ever stitch 7/8 of an inch together, I can see working over a 1/2" often. Are companies maximum sewing thicknesses accurate?

Cylinder Arms look like the way to go as opposed to the flatbed, is the attachable work table useful or can most operations be done on the arm?

The consensus seems to be that they are game changers. Has anyone purchased one thinking that and been disappointed?

20190916_182128-03.jpeg IMG_20200617_180321_203-01.jpeg
20191226_110053-02.jpeg
20200215_155449-01.jpeg

Thanks in advance

John

I’ll chime in with my limited experience. I’ve been at leather craft for several years now. I’ve always hand saddle stitched leather goods. Recently jumped in head first for machine. After many recommendations from fellow BF members. I bought a Cobra 4 with premium package. Skills are progressing more and more with use. It comes with its share of learning curves. It can be the most aggravating , best thing you’ve bought. But it gets better and better as you learn. Most of sheaths are 3 to 4 layers of 10-12oz leather. The cobra 4 handles it with ease. The one thing I’ll mention is that buying a cobra. The customer service is really great !!!
If your doing a lot of leather I’d say go for it. I’m still making leather as a hobby and I jumped in :)
I’m sure others will jump in here and add their thoughts :)

Very nice leather work ! Those sheaths look excellent, thanks for sharing the pics !!

Nice work and nice pics of the work too!

Yep Cobra 4 is the way to go. Very versatile machine. I didn't get the premium package, haven't had a need for all the other stuff. I use 207 top and bottom for almost all projects. Even if ya never have plans of working on bigger items the extra space is nice, occasionally I find a need for that extra presser foot height. I don't have the attachable table and haven't found any need for it. I can attest to their service too, simply outstanding. We have a Cobra 4 and a Cobra 18.

Thanks for the compliments on the sheaths Gents, I thought some background might be in order.

It looks like I have the right machine in mind I just need to decide if moving away from handstitching is the right decision, I think it is.

Thanks for the compliments on the sheaths Gents, I thought some background might be in order.

It looks like I have the right machine in mind I just need to decide if moving away from handstitching is the right decision, I think it is.

I don’t think you will ever regret getting the machine. Plus you can always offer both.

I’ve had mine for two months now and I love/hate it. Like duramax said there is a learning curve. I’ve made several nice projects on mine and several that were turned to scrap. That being said, when I got it/me running right it’s the best thing ever. As far as I can tell all the ruined projects were my fault. I don’t regret buying this machine at all. I just need to learn to use it properly. I did the finance thing. If you already have an EIN number you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Jon

I've got the Cobra 3, and love it--i haven't had the need for the longer arm that that the 4 has, but the 4 is what most folks go with I think, in case they do need that extra length down the road. The machine really helped me up my game. Cobra 18 will be in my future at some point.

Cobra 7 is on my wish list down the road :p:D:D Hindsight should’ve bought the 7 then an 18 for light stuff ;) Still love my 4 though :)

Cobra 7 is on my wish list down the road :p:D:D Hindsight should’ve bought the 7 then an 18 for light stuff ;) Still love my 4 though :)
I didn't even know there was a 5 or a 6!:eek: That thing is a tank.

Thanks for the responses on this, I'm sold on the Cobra 4, you guys make some good points. I don't think I need the premium package, although the table might be handy someday.

Is everyone running the same size thread top and bottom? From what I've read it seems like most run a smaller bobbin thread. 207 and 138?

I purely run 277 top/bottom with #24 or #25 needle. Shortly I’ll be jumping up to 346 or 415 with corresponding needles. I just wanna try and like heavy duty :)
For thin stuff or overlays with short runs, I hand stitch.

I run 207 top and bottom for almost everything. I'll occasionally switch to 138 top and bottom for some colored work that I might not have 207 in. I just go down a needle size and don't have to mess with tensions when I do this.

I have a cobra 4 and love it. It does everything I need, as most stated there is a learning curve to it but once you figure it out you will knock out your work so much faster then hand stitching. I will still stitch by hand here and there but 95% of the time it’s the machine. I have actually used it for many other projects other than leather work as well like repairing and modifying boat covers and other heavy duty canvas type items. You will not be disappointed when you get one.

Thanks pugs75 pugs75 I was wondering if it works on heavy canvas, glad to hear it's not a one trick pony.

I've been doing my due diligence to find something negative about purchasing one and the only regrets I've seen across the internet are, "I wish I would have gotten one sooner".

I'm assuming they ship from the manufacturer. Looks like freight is $325 straight from them and $300 from Makers Leather Supply. Well played MLS, well played:thumbsup:

Thought I'd give this thread an update.

I happened to pass by Leather Machine Company's shop in Ontario, CA. I called and asked if they had a Cobra 4 that I could take a look at. They don't have a showroom but they had one that they were setting up for a customer that I could check out (as if I know what I'm looking at anyways).

The crew there was more than helpful, Ray gave me a quick rundown of the machine and answered some questions I had. Heather was more than helpful and got my order squared away. Another gentleman (didn't catch his name) matched a lower shipping quote that I'd gotten elsewhere. Needless to say a Cobra 4 Premium is on it's way to Montana.

I thought I'd mention this because it seems like good customer service and general courtesy like that aren't the norm anymore and to quote Captain Call "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it".

I happened to pass by Leather Machine Company's shop in Ontario, CA. I called and asked if they had a Cobra 4 that I could take a look at. They don't have a showroom but they had one that they were setting up for a customer that I could check out (as if I know what I'm looking at anyways).

The crew there was more than helpful, Ray gave me a quick rundown of the machine and answered some questions I had. Heather was more than helpful and got my order squared away. Another gentleman (didn't catch his name) matched a lower shipping quote that I'd gotten elsewhere. Needless to say a Cobra 4 Premium is on it's way to Montana.

I thought I'd mention this because it seems like good customer service and general courtesy like that aren't the norm anymore and to quote Captain Call "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it".

Hey Congrats !!!!!!!

They truly do have great customer service :)

Thanks for the update

Did ya meet Thor, the half wolf dog? He's got those eyes that look through ya.

Years ago, Vintage machines swed leather and vinyl. Many of them swed through several layers of light leather or vinyl like butter. Now I have a Brother model with a 1.2 amp motor that goes through heavy duty work like it was nothing. I paid some dollars at the goodwill for the machine and another. I also have an old heavy duty National/Eldredge. I do not know much about this machine but after playing with it a bit I do know it can sew through similar conditions as my kenmore.

The old machines were all metal and capable of much heavier duty sewing than modern household machines. So if you just need normal and light weight leather sewing look for one of those but do your research and have an idea of wich brand/ model you are looking for before you start hunting the thrift stores.
Also you can find walking foot attachments for most of those old machines. However, here I would like to share a link you might find it worthwhile choosing a sewing machine for leather: Check this A huge pro to going with the leather sewing machines for industrial work.

Back