Questions for the community

I'm a gun guy myself mostly, I'm the department armorer at work and a gun hoarder at home, one of my gun guy friends pointed me at Khukris and HI.
Saved me a lot of time and trouble. Started out with the best so didn't have to shop around.
Only trouble is I need a paper route to feed my addiction.

Jack88:

I have an HI blade that was blued by a previous owner, and it came out great. I don't know what method he used. Here are a couple of pictures. The blade, made by Sher Kami, is a Hanshee model, 18.5" overall length, 23 oz. It was made for the late Danny Fletcher (DannyInJapan on Bladeforums). Danny was a martial artist. He had the butt end of the handle narrowed a bit to accommodate his fighting style.

Hanshee18.5in-Sher23oz-Satisal-DannyFletcher-02.jpg Hanshee18.5in-Sher23oz-Satisal-DannyFletcher-04.jpg

In a later post, talking about sheaths, you say you'd like "something that I wouldn't be afraid to take in the salt water with me." Sheath or no sheath, bluing or no bluing, I wouldn't want to go near salt water with an HI blade (this probably applies to any blade made in Nepal). The kamis use 5160 high carbon steel, which is great for most purposes, but rusts very easily. The handles would also be vulnerable.

You could mitigate that with frequent use of mineral oil, but if you're going to dive, swim or wade, I suggest that you do that with a different knife, and save your khukuri for everything else.

Last edited:
Make sure you check out the JKM-1, "Sarge Knife"/KPH,YCS Karda, Kumar Karda!

Make sure you check out the JKM-1, "Sarge Knife"/KPH,YCS Karda, Kumar Karda!
All great looking knives! Talked about knives a bit with a major I flew with today and he gave me the "Why the hell don't you have a bowie knife, aren't you an American?" so now I'm looking through bowies... haha

Doesn't look like I'll be buying a gun this year with the amount of knives I've been picking up.

I'm a gun guy myself mostly, I'm the department armorer at work and a gun hoarder at home, one of my gun guy friends pointed me at Khukris and HI.
Saved me a lot of time and trouble. Started out with the best so didn't have to shop around.
Only trouble is I need a paper route to feed my addiction.

Very lucky, I looked around quite a bit before I found a home here. Hopefully will be getting my M43 today or tomorrow.

Jack88:

I have an HI blade that was blued by a previous owner, and it came out great. I don't know what method he used. Here are a couple of pictures. The blade, made by Sher Kami, is a Hanshee model, 18.5" overall length, 23 oz. It was made for the late Danny Fletcher (DannyInJapan on Bladeforums). Danny was a martial artist. He had the butt end of the handle narrowed a bit to accommodate his fighting style.

View attachment 722049 View attachment 722048

In a later post, talking about sheaths, you say you'd like "something that I wouldn't be afraid to take in the salt water with me." Sheath or no sheath, bluing or no bluing, I wouldn't want to go near salt water with an HI blade (this probably applies to any blade made in Nepal). The kamis use 5160 high carbon steel, which is great for most purposes, but rusts very easily. The handles would also be vulnerable.

You could mitigate that with frequent use of mineral oil, but if you're going to dive, swim or wade, I suggest that you do that with a different knife, and save your khukuri for everything else.

That is kick ass... btw how do I upload pictures? Do I need to be a paying member or do I need to upload them somewhere else first ??

As why I said I wouldn't be able to take one on the Napali coast I'm planning (where it would get a ton of use sadly..)

"Doesn't look like I'll be buying a gun this year with the amount of knives I've been picking up."

New guns (I like old stuff mostly) have been very few and far between since I discovered HI. It's a common addiction, sadly with no cure and nobody seems to seek funding to seek a cure. I think there's a hidden message in there somewhere.

HI has some nice bowies. My personal favorite is the Micro Bowie. I wear one every single day. Great knife, small but very meaningful. You could pry open a car door with the thing.
Once in awhile the officer around here out of the blue just plunk their knives down on a table for show and tell, if I'm around I plunk the Bowie every time and it wins the popularity contest every single time.
It's usually around 7 1/2'' long, next one up is a 10", I carried one of those for a couple years before the Micro came on scene.
A tad big for everyday office carry but nobody said nothing to me, should be part of the uniform....am I right?

"Doesn't look like I'll be buying a gun this year with the amount of knives I've been picking up."

New guns (I like old stuff mostly) have been very few and far between since I discovered HI. It's a common addiction, sadly with no cure and nobody seems to seek funding to seek a cure. I think there's a hidden message in there somewhere.

HI has some nice bowies. My personal favorite is the Micro Bowie. I wear one every single day. Great knife, small but very meaningful. You could pry open a car door with the thing.
Once in awhile the officer around here out of the blue just plunk their knives down on a table for show and tell, if I'm around I plunk the Bowie every time and it wins the popularity contest every single time.
It's usually around 7 1/2'' long, next one up is a 10", I carried one of those for a couple years before the Micro came on scene.
A tad big for everyday office carry but nobody said nothing to me, should be part of the uniform....am I right?

I can't really justify owning any more guns that I'm just not collecting at this point, I have a HMG STG44 that's been on the way for 6+ months.. so buying another before I even get the last one is little crazy

Can't find a bowie I like, I'd want it to be a large knife as it would more than likely just be for show. I have other stuff I'd carry.

I carry a little CRKT M16 knife on my flight suit, does a hell of a job for its size and I can't carry anything larger on base. My winkler will without a doubt be going on my survival vest when I go overseas though.

How about one like this. I think it's 15''. One bad azzzz blade I love it so much.

How about one like this. I think it's 15''. One bad azzzz blade I love it so much.

Jesus love the collection in the background. So after looking everywhere for a Bowie and Bowie like knives I think the Swedish company fallkniven keeps standing out to me. I like their bigger knives, pricey though. Guess no fun this year

I've received my M43, it's a work of art. Heavy duty, can't wait to put it to the test on some chopping.

Do I need to be a paying member to upload photos? Or do I simply need to upload them somewhere else first to put them in here???

....Can't find a bowie I like, I'd want it to be a large knife as it would more than likely just be for show. I have other stuff I'd carry....

You might like the Chitlangi Bowie (which is practical as well as beautiful) or (for show) the Giant Chitlangi Bowie. The Chit Bowie below, by Kumar Kami, is 15" OAL and 24.5 oz. The GCB, by Bura Kami, is 25" OAL and 55 oz.

ChitlangiBowie15in-Kumar24.5oz-horn-for-Dave-01.jpg ChitlangiBowie15in-Kumar24.5oz-horn-for-Dave-03.jpg GiantChilangiBowie25-Bura55oz-for-Dave-02cr.jpg

Upload it to an image site and link it in, Jack. Members get the hosting but you can use [favorite image upload site] to post pics here on the forum.

Hmmm..I don't even have a BK9 yet.

Seen the Cherokee Rose yet? Makes my heart thump.

We can do better than the Fallkniven nl1 Thor..
Looks great though, like a nice Japanese-made Randall 14.
For the $$$ it costs, howabout custom ;)

I want to get a CMFTW blade...

At this point I really want to just stop dickering around and start making my own.

Bawanna's wall is AWESOME

Last edited:
You might like the Chitlangi Bowie (which is practical as well as beautiful) or (for show) the Giant Chitlangi Bowie. The Chit Bowie below, by Kumar Kami, is 15" OAL and 24.5 oz. The GCB, by Bura Kami, is 25" OAL and 55 oz.

View attachment 722945 View attachment 722944 View attachment 722946

Cool blades but as Bowies go they have to much of an Asian flair to them.

Upload it to an image site and link it in, Jack. Members get the hosting but you can use [favorite image upload site] to post pics here on the forum.

Hmmm..I don't even have a BK9 yet.

Seen the Cherokee Rose yet? Makes my heart thump.

We can do better than the Fallkniven nl1 Thor..
Looks great though, like a nice Japanese-made Randall 14.
For the $$$ it costs, howabout custom ;)

I want to get a CMFTW blade...

At this point I really want to just stop dickering around and start making my own.

Bawanna's wall is AWESOME

I have another thread going here for Bowies:
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/looking-for-a-good-bowie.1501310/

Yeah I showed his picture to my roommate of his wall and damn! I want my garage to look like that.

Here is my HI M43 that came in yesterday!
IMG_2630_zpsal33efe0.jpg

Here is my new Mauno Keranen Tommi Puukko as well!
IMG_2629_zpspmw7g7mj.jpg

My little CRKT M16 I carry on my flight suit everyday, tough little knife!
IMG_2631_zpspkpdku7g.jpg

This is my Winkler II belt knife, currently the nicest knife I own, though I may be changing that soon with a new Bowie.
IMG_2627_zpsgjqfjvml.jpg

Just bought this little Morakniv for my girlfriend to work on her garden with think she'll like it
IMG_2628_zpsjn7um329.jpg

And to finish it off here is a Cold Steel axe of mine that I blued and dremmelled in the designs just for fun:
IMG_2602_zpsdhqc3yo7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to design a 3rd leave for the wall. Out of room. Either that or get one of them chairs that goes up and down so I can utilize the high parts.
I strive to keep things so I can access them myself without asking for help. Simpler that way.
Have to take out some other storage to make room for a 3rd roll out though. Worth it.
I hold them often and like to look to make sure they are oiled and not doing anything bad. Great for show and tell for the trusted few who gain admittance.
Have to keep a close eye on the granddaughter and not long before the grandson too. Being in the closet though, kind of out of sight so safe for now.

I'm trying to design a 3rd leave for the wall. Out of room. Either that or get one of them chairs that goes up and down so I can utilize the high parts.
I strive to keep things so I can access them myself without asking for help. Simpler that way.
Have to take out some other storage to make room for a 3rd roll out though. Worth it.
I hold them often and like to look to make sure they are oiled and not doing anything bad. Great for show and tell for the trusted few who gain admittance.
Have to keep a close eye on the granddaughter and not long before the grandson too. Being in the closet though, kind of out of sight so safe for now.

Love it, will have to see if the girlfriend will let me do the same... Luckily with no kids, I have a bit more of free reign where I can display dangerous items... At this point the only two rooms I "own" are my office and garage haha

Back