Questions for the maker

Question for Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool ahead of the buy tomorrow. If a knife is ordered without a liner or pinstripe, is the overall handle thickness the same (with liners and pinstripes)? I think this topic came up during the last Fiddleback group buy and I believe Fiddleback handle thickness is less without liners or pinstripes. Thanks!

Yes, I will maintain he same girth in the handle regardless of with liners or without. I figured out a while back how to alleviate this by just starting with thicker material on the linerless (Commando) handles.

On the other end of the spectrum if you choose a smaller knife with lets say a thick 1/8” base liner the handle will more than likely be a tad beefier in the grip, this is due to not being able to remove as much material and contour as heavily on smaller knives with thicker liners as not to pinch the liner and maintain asthetic integrity.

Last edited:
Question for Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool and others with more knowledge regarding knife design than myself. The pros and cons of guard vs guardless knives are well documented in this forum and others. My question is about the difference and/or reason behind a “recessed guard.” The photo below shows a guardless knife and a recessed guard (my terminology may not be correct). I own several (way too many, need to sell a couple I haven’t even used) K Apaches and Guardless Warthogs with a recessed guard and really like them. Food prep is wonderful with this design and still great for outdoor use. The only issue so far is I need to be more careful removing it from the sheath so it doesn’t cut the welt, where the guard would be. Just curious what others thoughts are, the logic behind the design and other pros/cons. I really need to post some more photos. Chris’s craftsmanship and attention to detail are top notch! Keep up the amazing work. Thanks.
xHHmOYP.jpg

I also have a couple of guardless models. It’s become second nature to me to exert a little pressure towards the spine when sliding it out of the sheath. No problems so far - assuming the sheath was designed to provide sufficient clearance.
As for pros: taller blade with the same stock thickness at the spine means more distance for the blade to taper down (less acutely, less wedge-like) to a nice thin edge, making for a better slicer. I’m a fan :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Question for Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool and others with more knowledge regarding knife design than myself. The pros and cons of guard vs guardless knives are well documented in this forum and others. My question is about the difference and/or reason behind a “recessed guard.” The photo below shows a guardless knife and a recessed guard (my terminology may not be correct). I own several (way too many, need to sell a couple I haven’t even used) K Apaches and Guardless Warthogs with a recessed guard and really like them. Food prep is wonderful with this design and still great for outdoor use. The only issue so far is I need to be more careful removing it from the sheath so it doesn’t cut the welt, where the guard would be. Just curious what others thoughts are, the logic behind the design and other pros/cons. I really need to post some more photos. Chris’s craftsmanship and attention to detail are top notch! Keep up the amazing work. Thanks.
xHHmOYP.jpg

I also have a couple of guardless models. It’s become second nature to me to exert a little pressure towards the spine when sliding it out of the sheath. No problems so far - assuming the sheath was designed to provide sufficient clearance.
As for pros: taller blade with the same stock thickness at the spine means more distance for the blade to taper down (less acutely, less wedge-like) to a nice thin edge, making for a better slicer. I’m a fan :thumbsup:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why I went with the gaurdless variation on a few knives. It was a few years back when I started recieving feedback from customers on the forums wanting to be able to use the whole cutting edge for food prep, other similiar cutting tasks, etc. without the guard interfering. The suggestion was to make it level with the cutting edge like in one of your pictures shown. I went with the idea of doing away with it all together in a few variations.

Back