Questions on knifes...

JMX

I am at trade show and there are ceramic knives here from karamikos, I don't have a good knife set and know nothing about knives. They talk about oxidization and whatever. I don't do the cooking in my house (although I am a great cool) and I used the knifes my girlfriend has been using and lost my mind. She never complains about anything but they are absolute garbage.

So here I am now, I want to buy her something nice that's going to cut well for a long time and doesn't completely break the bank but also serves flexibility in the kitchen.

Thanks,

IMO, Ceramic knives are a Gimick! They have to make them too thick or otherwise they will break, yes, the have a sharp edge that chips out way to easy! Stick with modern Stainless Steel knives for your girlfriend ...

Last edited:
So modern stainless steel it is. I've been told to stay away from knives like cutco knives and Rhineland ect so what should I be looking for? Sorry not super knowledgeable on knives.

There are a lot of commercially available knives that will fill the bill. Most of the big names like Wüsthof and Henkels have several lines covering a range of price points. A good approach is to visit a Williams-Sonoma shop in your local mall and ask to handle some of the knives they offer. Then read some reviews on cooking websites and see what the pros say. Finally, buy a decent stainless 6" chef's knife and use it for a while. If it works for you both, consider other knives from that same line.

Personal preferences: Avoid Asian profiles like santokus and the like as they have a learning curve, go stainless not carbon or ceramic, get a honing steel and use it daily, don't cut on hard surfaces but use wood or bamboo cutting boards, don't put them in the dishwasher, don't put them in a drawer to bang around with other knives, read up on kitchen knife techniques and practice, cook often.

Zieg

unless you are going to learn how to sharpen, go to Walmart and find a knife that fits her hand and feels nice. should be $20 or less. when dull, donate to charity and buy a new one. my one visit to Williams-Sonoma, they refused to let me touch the knife. their prices are typically 25% higher than anyone else. if not Walmart, try local restaurant supply store, that is where the chef's buy their knives. I would also go to Ebay or Amazon and look for reconditioned food processors(I bought a good sized on for $45). I use mine more and more for veg prep. I have knives that can slice cabbage and onions see-thru thin if i want. but I can make 2 quarts of cabbage and carrot salad in less than 5 minutes with food processor including cleaning.

I would recommend looking at Victorinox kitchen knives.

We have a Victorinox Fibrox Chef Knife, Boning Knife, and Filet Knife. These are good, affordable kitchen knives that are certified for use in many commercial kitchens.

These knives will be run through the dishwasher routinely, which contrary to popular belief will not make your kitchen implode.
Get on Amazon and buy 3 or 4 Mundail high carbon stainless knives in her handle color of choice. I suggest a standard paring, small serrated, boning and chef knives. Use them to your hearts content for 5 years then make a decision on what to do next.

I'll second the Victorinox recommendation. I bought 4 of the Forchner (by Victorinox) knives and have been really impressed. Please keep them out of the dishwasher unless you like sharpening more than I do.

These knives will be run through the dishwasher routinely, which contrary to popular belief will not make your kitchen implode.
Get on Amazon and buy 3 or 4 Mundail high carbon stainless knives in her handle color of choice. I suggest a standard paring, small serrated, boning and chef knives. Use them to your hearts content for 5 years then make a decision on what to do next.
Its a Dish Washer! Not a KNIFE Washer! :rolleyes: The Detergent is Caustic! It will dull the knives in a few washing's

Only Cry Once! Not everytime you use the knives! :( Get the Victorinox or better! You will be glad ever time you cook!:)

You'll be hearing from my lawyer! I followed your advice and my kitchen imploded!

Its a Dish Washer! Not a KNIFE Washer! :rolleyes: The Detergent is Caustic! It will dull the knives in a few washing's

Only Cry Once! Not everytime you use the knives! :( Get the Victorinox or better! You will be glad ever time you cook!:)

I know this, I do not condone this, but I'm also a realist. I'd wager that 80%+ of the knives in this country in homes with a dishwasher are cycled through said dishwasher routinely.

Back