Quit taking the handles off ESEE knives

I said as much in that post buddy. Handle was lose regardless of tightening, though the tightening did help, so I just kept tightening. I just shipped it today, with the stripped housing.

I understand that and was defending you ;) All is well amigo and sorry for the problem. Seriously.

You know, we seriously appreciate every one of our customers, even the dumbasses, but there are some folks that just don't need anything sharp in their hands.

I handed out a nice folder to each of my groomsmen in my wedding. My best man is just such a guy you made mention of... He opened the box, opened the knife, cut his finger within 20 seconds, and handed it back to me.... "um thanks but no thanks! " lol the rest of the guys and I laughed at him for weeks!
Still to this day he only is given sharp things for Christmas and birthdays from me. Just because I know I am going to get them right back!

The point is they can be cleaned (even blood) without removing them. The reason we make them removable is for people who want to do custom handles, not for people to just remove them every day and clean them with a microscope and tweezers.

I vouch for that. I dressed a dear and the blood came right off

Here's what I came across. One day, I was wacking away at a branch with my 3. After a while , the handle felt like it was vibrating. I checked it , and 2 of the screws were loose. I took it apart carefully, cleaned the screws, put blue loc-tite on it, snugged them up and forgot about it. I decided to check my whole Esee collection ( about ten knives at the time , so 30 sets of screws)
Out of 30 sets of screws , I found about 10 that I couldn't remove as set from the factory. Great. That left 20 screws that I was able to remove quite easily. As these are hard-use knives, I loc-tited everything again , making sure each screw got a good drop where it needed it. I tightened them up snugly and to this day , have never touched them , nor will I. To take the handles off for cleaning is preposterous. But I do like the screws to stay where they should be. How someone can strip an Esee bolt set is beyond me. They are extremely strong fasteners to begin with and don't need to be tightened to the point of damage.

I take the screws out of my ESEE 3 all the time and throw them at trees. Those damn little screws take quite a beating and I'm sure I could use them in a self defense situation if the bad guy would just give me a few minutes to get the screws out so I could throw them at his eyes.

I think I discovered the truth behind the suggestion to not remove the handles. I took the handles off of my 4 and lo and behold, there was Jimmy Hoffa! :eek:

I think I discovered the truth behind the suggestion to not remove the handles. I took the handles off of my 4 and lo and behold, there was Jimmy Hoffa! :eek:

One piece at a time. He was indeed chopped up and we place a little bit in each knife

One piece at a time. He was indeed chopped up and we place a little bit in each knife

Perhaps that is the ingredient in the handles that makes these knives so addictive. Yep, that must be it.

Moose

Perhaps that is the ingredient in the handles that makes these knives so addictive. Yep, that must be it.

Moose

Actually what's addictive is the blades "powder" coat they get from their friends in Colombia. Remember, next time you're battoning, lean over and breath in deep.

I understand that and was defending you ;) All is well amigo and sorry for the problem. Seriously.

Its cool man, sorry for the misunderstanding, so many nuances of conversation are lost in text. Good to see the problem's root cause has been found. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with warranty returns?

I agree with a previous poster. Make the screw sets available at a price. I stripped one screw installing scales on an Izula, and yes, I know how to tighten screws - an offshoot of being a service technician for 42 years.

I really can't believe how many holier-than-thou posters there can be in one thread!:eek:

Doc

You should get a bag full of enough hardware to replace the screws on 5 knives, and charge $10 shipping. Kill two birds with one stone, they won't be likely to want to do it again, they will have the ability to learn how much pressure they can put on the screws, and with that much hardware you won't have to deal with even the worst ones for years.

You should get a bag full of enough hardware to replace the screws on 5 knives, and charge $10 shipping. Kill two birds with one stone, they won't be likely to want to do it again, they will have the ability to learn how much pressure they can put on the screws, and with that much hardware you won't have to deal with even the worst ones for years.

Hahaha I like that idea. :D

I agree with a previous poster. Make the screw sets available at a price. I stripped one screw installing scales on an Izula, and yes, I know how to tighten screws - an offshoot of being a service technician for 42 years.

I really can't believe how many holier-than-thou posters there can be in one thread!:eek:

Doc

Anyone who says they’ve never stripped a screw either hasn’t turned many screws or is full of shit.

The purpose of this thread (2 months ago) is that for every 5 people that need a replacement screw, 4 of them probably need them because they take the scales off their knife every time they clean it, when in reality it isn’t necessary. I’m sure most of them would be more than happy to buy the screws since they messed them up but Jeff and Mike give away thousands of dollars worth of knives every year, so a handful of screws isn’t a big deal. It was Jeff’s opportunity to vent. He’s human, just like most of the rest of us. And I’d bet even Jeff stripped a screw once. ;)

Back