[Quite OT] - These "Warrior's Edge" DVDs??

Hey Folks...still kinda lurking around (of course, completely broke by now, like a shark without teeth... :( ).

Anywayz, any of you folks have any viewpoints on this Warrior's Edge DVD set (apart from "look at the price tag...I could get a HI Katana for that price!!!" ;) ) that is sold by Cold Steel? Anyone have them? If so, could you give me the low-down or the high-up on these...are they worth it for what they claim to be? Or am I better off learning ballet with a Kukri in my hand?

I am referring to this set:

http://www.coldsteel.com/vdwep.html

Manny

Hi Manny,

I don't doubt that there is good information in these, but if one's goals are to improve skill in real sense it is better to find a good teacher that you can interact with and then devote a lot of time. In addtion to a good teacher find a training partner who like the art as much as you do, so you can work together outside of formal class time.

If you like khuks, Bando would seem an obvious choice, but it's a smaller group and finding someone good who is near you may be harder. Bando is also kept quiet from within itself - not very promoted intentionally. The Filipino Martial Arts and Silat are both excellent (with a good teacher), very oriented to bladed weapons and interestingly (to me) often utilize the same moves for for empty hand combat as are used with bladed or impact weapons.

Most of the people who buy a mail order course will work out very seldomly and are really wanting to buy ability and that can only be learned through hard work and time. Best of luck.

I agree. I went to a Kung Fu class on a trial basis just to see how it was and certainly agree that the more personalized teaching imparted there is far superior to what any videotape or book could provide.

But I am still intrigued as to what exactly is on those DVDs that could command such a hefty price. So if anyone did purchase or view them, please provide an opinion.

More of a curiosity now than a future purchase.

P.S. Thanks VML!

I certainly wouldn't buy MA training videos from a company so totally based on hype. They do make some decent knives for the price, but for the cost of those tapes you can probably train locally for a few months with a reputable dojo.

You gotta love Cold Steel, they're like a stupid, well meaning cousin.

If they are anything like the proof videos, you will see many large hairy men chopping up vans with heart shaped windows, house walls, sides of beef, rugs, and foam elk. Tasks which you will encounter daily.

Cold Steel training videos will teach you valueable skills to defend yourself in our changing world! You will become a master at deanimating foam archery targets with spears! Learn with the masters as they use warhammers to break into a fake house! No longer will you fear sides of beef on dark nights, these are easily dispatched with your sword cane! No more will you tremble when you walk into a room with a rug or reed mat! Learn how best to wreck a car with your EDC bastard sword! Now you and your Carbon V tactical shovel are truly "Battle Ready"!

Great fun! And well worth the price!

Hehehe...chopping through cars and breaking into houses...sounds like Burglary 101. :eek:

I really want to thank all those who have provided me with information on the company. I think I will stay away from those DVDs.

That tip about getting trained at a reputable dojo is true and something I will think about more seriously.

but a video can't point out flaws in a certain student's technique, or provide corrective advice and such.

Keith

Lynn Thompson, always out for the almighty buck. I have been generally happy with the CS knives I have bought though.:D If they didn't have the damned kraton handles they would be excellent!:rolleyes:

Cold Steel makes some tough blades for production knives. Own several and I have no complaints. Lynn Thompson trained in Filipino arts as well as others, so there is probably some useful info. But if you want some video for home training and want down and dirty street useful, check out Marc "the Animal" http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Now this "Mr. Animal" interests me...especially because his viewpoint of violence is quite realistic...it is a kill or be killed option that should be last resort and only used for personal safety.

Reading over the website and getting interested...

Thanks tsf!!

Ms514?

As many have said, skill learning takes place in the exercise of the skill; development of technique, artistry, and reaction are extraordinarily hard to achieve via electronic training tools. We learn best by doing.

Moreover (I LOVE to use "moreover"), the animal senses react differently to the proximity of another animal (human, in this case) than to any imagined or artificial target/companion/training device. So your developed expertise via the dvds would serve you best if you were in a situation with dvd opponents.

Real life is so different.

But far and away, the greatest element is the social aspect of the training with a class and a teacher. For all our respective abilities to operate well by ourselves, the reinforcement, correction, and approvals of a small social group--like a class--can define, isolate, and enhance skill levels that one alone could not even envision.

In addition, the small group provides essential interaction on levels not connected with the particular skill studied, and chances to develop focus on the key element in any training--your center, your self, your "chi."

Be with people.

Kis

Call me Ishm...err...Manny ;)

Kismet, I agree. Not only in martial arts, but in any situation of learning, group efforts certainly are beneficial, as you can learn from each other.

Even if I do not end up taking martial arts classes, I think I am still vastly interested in those materials from "Mr. Animal". The reason being is the analysis of the criminal mind and making a person aware of potentially dangerous situations before they happen. The website certainly struck a deep note in my brain. Knowing that there is something bad about to go down would certainly prevent many situations that might end up in a fight...a situation that is certainly not something any person should desire against someone set on perpetrating a crime on you. So at least I could learn to spot suspicious activity and run like crazy (beats having a knife in the throat).

If I can ever get myself to make a committment, I shall certainly go join a martial arts/self defense/etc and I do realize that the skill to defend yourself does come only with practice, time and patience.

Thanks for the comment Kismet!

The good thing about "animal" and his books and such is that he teaches principles. Sometimes in martial classes all you get are techniques (depending on the school). One gives you tools and the other is the how to manual.

I gots some of thems animal books and would recommend his books.

I reckon both are valuable pieces of a complete pie.

:confused:

I have heard that Applegate is good reading for principals as well. Any of the "WWII combatitives" guys like him, Fairbairn and Sykes. If I could find a school that taught that way of fighting, I might go. It seems to be just real practical stuff that is proven to work most of the time. Just a few simple, basic moves that are easy to learn and ingrain into muscle memory through practice in a relatively short time. I think the problem with it is it is mostly Offensive. It is very preemptive, hit him first if he even looks to be a threat. Which can get you in trouble if you actually use it. It is hard to argue defence in a court, because it will look like you were the attacker. I could be totally wrong though. I am not a martial artist practitioner, just an "armchair commando".

Learning the principals is definitely as important, if not more, than learning rote wazas. As far as videos and DVD's are concerned, taking something shown on a video and practicing it with another individual is worthwile. I do not recommend you learn a system in theis manner, because having someone to correct you is very important. But I use these to add to my arsenal of knowledge. There is much to learn and videos offer an excellent and cost effective means to expose yourself to other viewpoints and approaches to the martial way. The thing about The Animal I like is he teaches principals and his technique is very straight forward and is proven in actual confrontations. Take what works for you and forget the rest. Never dismiss something out of hand. There is something to be learned even from the everthing and everyone, even if they appear at first glance to be an idiot.

If you want to learn real bladefighting and don't have any alternative to video I'd suggest this series of Kali videos: http://www.pamausa.com/Pages/kali1.html

These tapes are the most complete Kali training program available on video.

It's the real deal and Guro Tucci is absolutely incredible.

Ugh...what I really need is a wheelbarrow of money. Buy all of this material cause it interests me and take classes as well.

Like being in a pizza shop with only 1 dollar... :grumpy:

Thanks for all the links and information guys!

Back