• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Radius platens, End radius platens, Flat platens, Water cooled chillers

Thank you all for your interest in our work. We currently have only D2 flat platens and platen chillers available.

I will take a D2 flat platten.
Email sent

If you have another D2 KMG Flat Platen, I'll take it.
sending email in a moment

I'm probably WAY too late, but I'm looking for a 36" radius platen and a chiller if available. Will follow with email.

There are a lot of different items in this thread. Please read the descriptions below and follow the ordering instructions to make sure you get what you need. Please also read the tips and instructions below so you understand how these are best used. Also, please be aware that certain grinding belts and grinding conditions can cause rapid wear even on hardened steel. These platens are made for particular applications, they're nice professional quality tools and are not a good choice for general purpose roughing. If you're not sure how to use one or if this is a good fit for you, play it safe and don't buy one. For example, if you buy an A2 end radius flat platen, which is designed for a lengthwise grind and forming perfect plunges, and use it wet with a Blaze belt to sharpen lawn mower blades you're not going to get very good value from your purchase. I use Klingspore 312 J flex belts dry with a platen chiller and get hundreds of plunges and can fully finish about 100 knives out of one, but you may only get one, it depends on how you treat your tools. I'll reiterate: these will wear with use, if that's a problem for you please don't buy one.

I told folks I'd have accurate (decked flat and with accurate perpendicular thread milled holes) 8" and 10" C plates for the KMG available in this sale but the timing isn't working out. I'll post those in a week or two.

To start with we have radius platens. These are made of A2 and hardened to HRC63-64. There are three sizes that simulate large wheels, (qty fourteen) 36", (qty eleven) 48" and (qty seven) 72". They're $110 each.

If you buy a radius platen you're probably going to want a water cooled platen chiller because they get hot.

We also have flat platens with end radius, large and small. They're made of 1/2" A2 hardened to HRC 63-64. "Small" has an end radius of 1/8" on one end and 3/8" on the other end. "Large" has an end radius of 1/4" on one end and 1/2" on the other end. These can be used for lengthwise grinding with the top wheel removed. The mounting holes are blind to prevent a witness mark from showing in your work. I have five of each. They're $90 each.

If you're going to grind with the top wheel removed it will get hot and you will need a platen chiller.

We also have plain D2 flat platens. They're made of 3/8" PFG D2 and heat treated in a way to maximize abrasion resistance. If all you're planning on doing is old fashioned flat grinding this is the platen for you. Like anything they do wear but you can use both sides and you can surface grind them flat again for years of use. There are twenty of these. They're $90 each.

Most people don't need a platen chiller for regular flat grinding, though many people do benefit from one.

And last we have aluminum water cooled platen chillers for $60 each.

Flat rate shipping in the USA is $10.

These items are made to fit the KMG standard, which is 2X8 with 1/4-20 mounting holes that are 6 3/4" center to center. Some people have adapted these to other grinders.

I will give a description of the items in separate posts below to keep this first post short and sweet.

If these platens will fit your grinder and you would like to buy one of these, I need you to please follow these instructions to help me keep up with everything (otherwise folks will fall through the cracks).

1: State your claim in this thread.

2: send me an email (not a private message) carothersknives at gmail dought com

The email should include what you are buying, your BladeForums handle (i.e.: "Nathan the Machinist"), your actual name, your shipping address and your paypal email address.

I will send a PayPal invoice to that email.

3. Pay the paypal invoice. Once it is paid, I will ship your order to the name and address you gave in your order email.

If you don't want to use paypal, we can arrange to send a check.

Quantities are limited, sales are based upon first come first serve who posts their order in this thread. I have to do it this way to keep things sane.
chiller for kmg wish to purchase im not a member of blade forum will send email

Are you planning another batch at some point, I would be interested in one of each of possible with 2 chillers, please let me know if it would be possible thank you

I would like a 48 inch platter if it could be attached to an amk77 grinder

Back