"Rafting Axe"

Looking at the various axe head patterns that were posted today, I saw one ("rafting") that matched an axe I have with a hardened poll. This solves a mystery for me.

"rafting axe: a single bit axe with a short handle and a heavy, extended poll (sometimes with tapered corners resulting in an eight-sided poll) suitable for driving and striking and especially adapted for use on logging rafts."
"raft: a group of logs secured together with chains or cables so they can be floated as a comparatively single unit."
--from YesteryearsTools Glossary http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Glossary%3A%20Axes,%20Edge%20Tools,%20etc..html

The 4 pound head was on a 28" straight handle. It makes sense that the handle was straight, for easier hammering with the poll. I'll put it on a straight 32" octagonal handle, but for now it's with all my other unfinished projects.

From an earlier post about this axe:

On a whim I stopped at a local Goodwill to see if they happened to have any axes. They did, including a Kelly Works in very good condition, which cost me 10 bucks. Not the usual pattern. I took off the handle without damaging it, and weighed the head: 3 pounds 14 ounces. Then I soaked it in vinegar overnight and my biggest surprise was that it has a hardened poll. Some photos after the vinegar, haven't done any more cleaning up yet:

IMG_3569b_1_3_1.jpg

A better photo for showing the length at 8" even:

IMG_3572b_1_3_1.jpg

It's thin and sharp with good curvature and a gradual transition to the wider-than-usual poll.

IMG_3574B_1_1.jpg

The poll looks like it was nicely beveled at the factory.

IMG_3580b_1_1.jpg

That's a beautiful head Steve, looks very well made, really clean shape, congrats.

Regards

Robin

Steve, that is a real handsome axe. A rafting axe is now officially on my short list of axes to watch for! Thanks for posting it up!

Matt

Thanks for the friendly comments. I didn't find any mention of "rafting" axes in the forum archives, so I thought it would be worth posting.

Steve

Rafting axes are the same as modern "falling" axes. Both have straight handles and polls heat treated for actual use as pounding tools. Not much log rafting going on around here anymore but I would be surprised if they aren't still going it to the north of us in Canada.

Rafting axes are the same as modern "falling" axes. Both have straight handles and polls heat treated for actual use as pounding tools. Not much log rafting going on around here anymore but I would be surprised if they aren't still going it to the north of us in Canada.

If you actually look at the axe head, Im not sure that is 100% accurate.

If you actually look at the axe head, Im not sure that is 100% accurate.

What should I be looking for? All the local logging supply shops have racks of similar falling axes. A modern falling axe is mostly used for driving falling wedges into backcuts with the poll. Handle lengths come in about any length you would want so I guess there is still a lot of personal opinion involved.

What should I be looking for? All the local logging supply shops have racks of similar falling axes. A modern falling axe is mostly used for driving falling wedges into backcuts with the poll. Handle lengths come in about any length you would want so I guess there is still a lot of personal opinion involved.

Opinion definetly has a lot to do with it no doubt. The one I have is the same as the one pictured, except it is a Vulcan, not a Flint Edge. The shape of the cheeks and bit is more like a wedge, than a typical axe pattern, especially if we are talking about falling trees. Mine would not be good for it. The one shown here might have a different profile perhaps. Not sure if all rafting axes are this way or not.

Most of the falling axes sold around here seem to be Councils these day since Collins moved to Mexico. Also a few cheap Chinese ones around but given they aren't really used for chopping much those are probably adequate for the job.

If you order a "falling" axe from Bailey's, a major forestry/logging supplier, you get a rafting pattern, though I don't know if the poll is tempered or not anymore. I don't know why it would be, seems like most everyone uses plastic wedges now. It's kind of annoying because they actually suck for pounding wedges, the little beveled corners and slightly smaller poll area make it more prone to ricocheting off the wedge if you don't get a pretty square hit, and the balance isn't exactly great either. To top it off the poll is so fat that if you wind up burying your wedge flush with the bark, you're done. Unless you have more wedges, but I always seem to have to move a tree in a difficult direction and wind up a little short on plastic. I'll take my connecticut pattern plumb over a rafter any day.

I know the Council catalog states the polls are tempered for pounding but I can't speak for the others out there. They also call this type of tool a "Miner's axe." I assume miners do a lot of spike pounding in shaft timbers?

For what it is worth, the modern falling axe is a recent, after the chainsaw replaced the other choppers tool. Wouldn't expect it be listed with "yesteryears tools." The timber company I used to work for quit rafting logs on the Columbia back in the mid-seventies. Some of the other may still be doing it but lots more environmental rules now.

Years ago I read the book "Sometimes a Great Notion" by Ken Kesey, which has some dramatic scenes involving log rafts (or booms). The book was made into a 1970 movie starring Henry Fonda and Paul Newman.

A one-line summary of the plot, from IMDb:
"A family of fiercely-independent Oregon loggers struggle to keep the family business alive amidst changing times."

Nice bit of history, thanks for the thread and a nice specimen you have there. Sounds akin to a Tanker model issue rifle-short stout and simple utilitarian.

I know the Council catalog states the polls are tempered for pounding but I can't speak for the others out there. They also call this type of tool a "Miner's axe." I assume miners do a lot of spike pounding in shaft timbers?

the great majority of Council axes do not have tempered polls, per fairly clear wording on their website. pick an axe and read the product description.

what catalog are you referring to? do you have a paper catalog? (not picking, just curious).

-ben

edit: just looked again, and even the Miner's axe states it's not hardened on the poll or around the eye. wonder if you have an old catalog?

Yes I have a paper catalog and yes falling, mining etc axes have tempered polls for pounding. That is what makes them different from regular chopping axes. I've also talked to the owner of the local logging supply shop in my home town and been told the same about the falling axes he sells. He told me that most loggers never even bother to look at the edge of a falling axe, all they want to know is will it work to pound wedges.

Yes I have a paper catalog and yes falling, mining etc axes have tempered polls for pounding. That is what makes them different from regular chopping axes. I've also talked to the owner of the local logging supply shop in my home town and been told the same about the falling axes he sells. He told me that most loggers never even bother to look at the edge of a falling axe, all they want to know is will it work to pound wedges.

Yes this is true now, because that is what an axe is used for.

Back in the day, different ball game.

Back