Railroad Spike Knife. (Photo)

This is my second Railroad Spike Knife to make. It's my fourth knife overall. The lenght of the knife is 8 1/2 inches. The blade is 5 inches long and just over 1 inch wide.

You can see a picture of my first spike knife at: http://www.chriscrawford.com/knives/003-Spike1-b.jpg

Enjoy the photo! Thanks -chris

004-Spike2-b.jpg

Hey, nice job!

My second forging endeavor is just like that, but a dagger blade...exact same handle.

I left mine really rough...i.e. "rustic." It will be for sale at the OKCA show - $3,500...it's a great rr spike
rolleyes.gif

Excellent job, let's see some other work!
smile.gif

Nick

Nice job Chris! Was the knob end of that spike marked at all? Those with "HC" raised letters on them seem to have higher carbon content than others. We tried making some out of those that didn't and couldn't get them hard. Sure is a beauty, can't wait to see more. Terry

Thanks for all the comments! The end of the spike has the HC mark on it. However, I've not done the final heat treatment on it yet. Since this one will probably just sit around, I'm having trouble making myself stick it back into the fire and having to go through the scale removal on the blade again.

I may heat treat it and just clean the scale from the edge and see how the knife looks black. This may look good if I can keep the scale thick and smooth on all parts of the knive except the edge.

Thanks -chris

From what I have seen, I would leave it the way it is, Chris. Railroad spike knives are a nice novelty but not much for practical use.

Nice job by the way.

C Wilkins

Nick I might be willing to trade my $4000 ball-pein hammer battle axe head for your $3500 RR spike dagger. Bruce B

Well shoot Bruce, that sounds like a heck of an idea!!!
biggrin.gif

I think I misplaced a decimal though, it was supposed to be $0.35

Huh, imagine that
wink.gif

Nick

Nice lookin spike Chris, the finish looks great on the blade. I think you should do the finish like it is now after final heat treat.
Mark

Well it's about time you started using these forums! Nice work Chris, you keep pushing ahead of me like this and I'll quit. (just kidding!)

Thanks Bruce. I've been wanting to come back up, but I've been spending a lot of time each week in Jackson trying to get a project finished. I have to have it finished by the end of this month. I'm actually in Jackson now. As soon as this thing gets wrapped up, I'll be ready to take some afternoons off and come up. Thanks for the invitation! -chris

Back