Randall carry

In a recent post Ray1911 asked about the sheath for my Randall 14.
To further this,I will post some pics of the sheaths I make and use for Randall carry.
Of course you could buy a Spec-ops,or even have a custom kydex one made,but I make my own.
They may be agricultural,but I have never lost a knife or been injured by the knife while in my sheaths.

The polypipe is softer than kydex and doesn't roll the edge anywhere near as bad.
My sheaths fit most blade shapes,unlike a custom kydex which will only fit the blade it was made for.
With Randalls being hand made,you most likely wont get two blades to fit the same kydex sheath.

From right to left:-
Polypipe for my 16/1-7
Polypipe for the 14
Mil spec webbing with polypipe liner for 16,1-7,2-7,Ka-bar 1217.
Cordura with polypipe liner,multi-tool pouch on front and full MOLLE on the back.
Cordura with polypipe liner,small pouch for DMT diamond stone on front.
These can be made shorter or longer to fit whatever blade length you have.

The 5-6 I rebuilt recently and gave to a friend not only had the original Randall sheath,but a similar version to number 3,only shorter.
She does not use the leather sheath.

These are just a few of the designs I have made over the years,and not just for Randalls.
At the moment I am making up a similar one to number 3 for a Benchmade Nimravus.

The 1 inch poly types will fit the Randall models 1,2,5,16,25,the good ol' kabar 1217,and F.Dick 8 inch "Pigsticker".
The 1 and a quarter poly will fit models 14,15,18 and the Cold Steel Trailmaster(just).

I started to make these after a friend fell awkwardly while on a hunt and drove her 4 inch hunting knife (Cold Steel Master Hunter) thought her upper thigh.
After I had carried her out and got her to hospital,I was determined to never have this happen again. Once was one time too many!
kuxHVp2.jpg

That's pretty neat and thanks for the thread! Do you use a heat gun to shape the pipe? I used to do electrical work and familiar with schedule 40 pvc. Sorry to hear about your friend and I hope she is doing well.

No heat gun,just hold them over the gas cooker with my little Gerber multi tool.
With and oven mitt on the other hand,test squeeze for softness,then squash it between two wood cutting boards.
For the Trailmaster though I have a wooden mandrel I force (gently) into the pipe,them let it cool.

Kate is doing well,she's a tough little cookie,but does have some stiffness in her leg.
Certainly didn't slow her down,did make her realize how quick things can go pear shape "anywhere, anytime".(Cold Steel motto)
Not to mention how inadequate her knife sheath was! (I fixed that)
Six months later we went back to hunt the ridge where she fell,and she got her trophy goat.:thumbsup:

Really nice work and eye opening too. Thanks for sharing this!

Good news all around! I just ordered a Model 14 with a Diver's grind and amm looking to get that one sheath that you showed on the other thread. I'm really liking the looks of it.

I assume it will be stainless?
Did you know the diver grind on a 16 is not available on a 14?
As far as I know,the closest you will get will be a "teeth,no teeth grind".
What handle configuration and colour did you go for?

I assume it will be stainless?
Did you know the diver grind on a 16 is not available on a 14?
As far as I know,the closest you will get will be a "teeth,no teeth grind".
What handle configuration and colour did you go for?
That's what I ordered, a teeth/no teeth grind with a green micarta handle and Border Patrol handle. I realized that I really wanted black micarta after I ordered from CPT Stanaback and sent him an email to see if he has placed the order, but no reply yet. Stainless blade with single NS hilt and thumb grooves. Brown unwaxed "C" sheath.

Back