Randall No.1 Help please

I just got this 1-7 and would appreciate some info on it before it goes to the safe. I would like to know:
- year of mfg...or close
- opinion of general condition
- care/cleaning of knife and sheath (preservatives, cleaning methods, etc) or LEAVE IT ALONE
- anything special about this one?

Probably a no-brainer for most folks, but I don't want to do anything detrimental ....

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1mxnkgqn8/

Johnny B,
Looks like a nice Model 1 with what is referred to as a Johnson rough back sheath with the earlier right stitching. I believe that the blade is 01 steel ( high carbon) so you will need to keep it with a light coat of oil and stored outside of the sheath when not in use. I am guessing that it is from the late 60’s to early 70’s. I have a model 11 from the same vintage.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

Johnny B
It is a knife that I would be happy to have. I have a late Model 1 in 01 steel that I ordered while in Iraq in 2003. They shipped it super fast since I was deployed. It was my first Randall and I was not disappointed. I hope that you were able to get it for a fair price and that you enjoy it. They are great knives with history behind them.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

Yessir, I agree. What I paid for it could have bought a new one, but was in Nam '68-'71 and wanted one close to that era. I just hope I hit the era correct.

Johnny B,
I think that you got the timeframe right. If I remember correctly, the five spacer configuration was used in the 60’s. I don’t know exactly when it transitioned to the seven spacer configuration but believe it was in the early 70’s.
I see you live up in Sequim- beautiful area. We used to live in Puyallup when I did my exchange tour with the Army at Ft Lewis. Loved it up there.

Foxdoublegunner

Johnny B
I will take a "stab" at dating your knife. Sheldon is the most knowledgeable on this and I am sure he will set me straight, if I am wrong.
Yours being leather, I am guessing your knife was made between 1966-69. 3 thick, 2 thin spacers with Burgundy/Red spacers were used from 1957-1972. Assuming the stone is original, two part gray Combination Crystolon stones with yellow print were used about 1966-69.
7 spacers were used in NON leather handles from the 40's until 1972.
All this information is available on one of Sheldon's RMK Timeline, if you can still find one for sale. Please don't bet your last nickel on my guess!!!

Yessir, I agree. What I paid for it could have bought a new one, but was in Nam '68-'71 and wanted one close to that era. I just hope I hit the era correct.

yours is worth more than a new one. Congrats it’s a nice old knife. Thanks for your service.

All I've read from everyone seems to indicate this COULD be a '68 - '71 era knife. It will be treated as such. Now, what do I do, if anything, for cleaning and preservation? Hate to bugger this thing up.

Late 1960's; coat blade with light oil, keep knife separate from sheath going forward, leave it alone. Sell it to me. Hope that helps.

Late 1960's; coat blade with light oil, keep knife separate from sheath going forward, leave it alone. Sell it to me. Hope that helps.
Well Melvin, 3 outa 4 ain't bad...
What about the green crap on the brass and mouth of the sheath?

Back