Random Thought Thread

So my sister decided to go with Spectrum TV Gold and shared her account credentials with me. I have not watched televised sports in my own home in nearly two years having cut the cord in early 2015. I can finally watch live sports on Roku!

Random Thought/Story:

I was on an evidence search with my SAR unit a few weeks back. We are an aux. unit with the Thurston County Sheriff up here in Olympia, so any active search is almost always accompanied by a few LEOs, Sheriffs and/or Deputies.

I knew the area we were searching was horribly overgrown with blackberry bushes and some deciduous saplings (we're talking 6-7 ft. tall thickets, 1" thick vines). Our objective was to clear a 200yd X 200yd. search grid while looking for the "evidence"; I chose to bring my LC with me as the obvious choice for chopping and ground clearing.

After arriving to the search site, I was surprised by how many Detectives and Deputies were eye'ing and commenting on the LC dangling from my belt. Anyone that asked about it instantly wore a sh*t-eatin' grin after I let them hold it and play around with it. I also had my EDC on my belt, so it turned into a mini CPK demo. There was a lot of interest and a few guys wrote down the name/info. I provided, but I warned them how difficult in can be to obtain a coveted CPK blade.

It was an awesome experience - and quite contrary to what one might assume would happen when carrying a 15" knife on your belt around LEOs :D

Last edited:
Most LEOs I know are gearheads. Guns and flashlights, packs, ham radio and the like.

That's how a lot of them (and us SAR guys) are, but I rarely get to BS with them in a more casual capacity. Since it was an evidence search, there wasn't the urgency of lives at stake and it was a more lax atmosphere overall. I don't typically flaunt my hobbies and/or gear unless the situation is appropriate, but this was one opportunity that I was more than happy to shamelessly promote my affection for CPK.

I still look forward to the day I see a CPK "in the wild", on someone else's belt or out hiking/camping.

Gypsy turned 11 on Sunday but had to hold out till yesterday to get the real celebrating in.

MfjNz6t.jpg

It probably wasn't very nice to put the whole steak in front of her before I'd cut it up.

BAM4LNU.jpg

But it was a good thing I did since she dang near had it all gone before I could get my phone back out.

jqmPcCc.jpg

Good little crime scene technician, all evidence erased.

NgWpXsK.jpg

I think Loki was confused by the math. "Alright so I'm 6 times her size and I get 1/6th as much steak, and I don't even rate a proper plate like her. Do humans count things differently?"

Gypsy turned 11 on Sunday but had to hold out till yesterday to get the real celebrating in.

MfjNz6t.jpg

It probably wasn't very nice to put the whole steak in front of her before I'd cut it up.

BAM4LNU.jpg

But it was a good thing I did since she dang near had it all gone before I could get my phone back out.

jqmPcCc.jpg

Good little crime scene technician, all evidence erased.

NgWpXsK.jpg

I think Loki was confused by the math. "Alright so I'm 6 times her size and I get 1/6th as much steak, and I don't even rate a proper plate like her. Do humans count things differently?"
Steak portions were in "dog years".

Man those pics are huge, whoops. Just used the mobile Imgur app. It was pretty impressive how she packed that New York strip away and immediately resumed the "Got steak?" look. It was probably the meat snob in her wondering what she'd done to get downgraded from ribeye like she got last year.

Man those pics are huge, whoops. Just used the mobile Imgur app. It was pretty impressive how she packed that New York strip away and immediately resumed the "Got steak?" look. It was probably the meat snob in her wondering what she'd done to get downgraded from ribeye like she got last year.
It's just a bit further back, so keep going... Wait til she sees the beef knuckle next year. It will be as big as she is and last Much longer.

Back