Random Thought Thread

Yes, for the MC and perhaps eventually a production BC.

We started with the Lorien LC and an LC that Keffeler customized for us. We went to the BC prototypes from there and used that as the starting point for the MC. Jo, Mark and I have been tweaking it. Square this off, round this more, thin this here, widen that there, shift this over, oops too far etc. We've been dialing it in chopping stuff and cutting with it. Some things, like a version that hooks into the pinky more, feel good and locked in but hurts in use. Some turn more than others and are termed "snake slappers" because they're better for slapping something than cutting. Some work okay but don't work in other grips which Jo notices because she uses different grips than me. I know looking at the picture they all look very similar, and they are, but you'd be surprised how much a little tweak can change something. We started with the LC, which was already well evolved and dialed in, and went from there applying things learned over time. I feel the end result is even better refined and has better retention for the heavier knife. It's been a fun little development project that's wrapping up today.

I know looking at the picture they all look very similar, and they are, but you'd be surprised how much a little tweak can change something. We started with the LC, which was already well evolved and dialed in, and went from there applying things learned over time. I feel the end result is even better refined and has better retention for the heavier knife. It's been a fun little development project that's wrapping up today.
I used my LC and a knife with a very similar-appearing handle for some work clearing out one of my stone walls recently and I was shocked how much better the similarly sized and contoured LC handle worked. A large part of it is because it is squarer in cross-section and so more resistant to turning in the hand, making it safer and less fatiguing to use

Anyway- my point is that I agree with you it doesn't take huge differences in design to make notable differences in hand.

Yes, for the MC and perhaps eventually a production BC.

We started with the Lorien LC and an LC that Keffeler customized for us. We went to the BC prototypes from there and used that as the starting point for the MC. Jo, Mark and I have been tweaking it. Square this off, round this more, thin this here, widen that there, shift this over, oops too far etc. We've been dialing it in chopping stuff and cutting with it. Some things, like a version that hooks into the pinky more, feel good and locked in but hurts in use. Some turn more than others and are termed "snake slappers" because they're better for slapping something than cutting. Some work okay but don't work in other grips which Jo notices because she uses different grips than me. I know looking at the picture they all look very similar, and they are, but you'd be surprised how much a little tweak can change something. We started with the LC, which was already well evolved and dialed in, and went from there applying things learned over time. I feel the end result is even better refined and has better retention for the heavier knife. It's been a fun little development project that's wrapping up today.

I'm super excited for the MC. Having used a good cross section of weights and length knives in this genre, I'm appreciating a little more heft than the LC has, and a little less than the HC has. I like the reach of the HC, but its weight puts it out of the 'carry it around' category and is harder on the wrists with those snap cuts.

The BWM I was using fell smack dab between the LC and the HC in weight. In my testing for brutish chopping efficiency it also performed right down the middle, suggesting perhaps a correlation between weight and chopping efficiency, (other things being more or less equal, ie; bevel geometry). Interestingly, the BWM fell FAR short in the snap cut testing I did, as it handled awkwardly and wasn't particularly comfortable in hand. The HC performed better, even though it's heavier. The correlation I detect here is more an issue of geometry, where the dropped handle presents the blade at a slight angle which tends to shear as it cuts.

The important thing is this;
one HDFK in antique
one MC in terotuf
one EDC2 in antique
one FK2
one BS1
I do believe you have my address, and thanks in advance(jk) :)

The Blade Sports Competition Chopper is not going to be called a "BS1"

Mike-Ehrmantraut-Shakes-His-Head-Breaking-Bad.gif

Maybe a CC1

Back