Random Thought Thread

I haven't had alot of experience sharpening D3V ... but touching it up keeping it sharp has been much easier than I thought it might be.

I did have a small issue that Nathan fixed for me and explained ... where I thought I had the burr fully removed but I had a small shiney spot that had an almost undetectable ... (for me even with magnification) ... a wire edge that looked good but the kydex sheath after reinserting it a few times had the same small shiney spot ...

but Nathan corrected it and explain it may have had a slight recurve where it was and now I know I can use the stones edge or a round ceramic honing rod to be sure to get that spot.

But I am kind of old school myself and don't own many newer "super steels" ... but CPK and a couple of LT Wrights designs wete nice enough for me to jump in and I love the knives ... I still have some learning on the sharpening side of these steels but I'm learnimg quickly ... and the knives feel so good to use ... I think it's worth it.

Brian it's good to see you around here again. Where ya been man?
Hey Nathan! Thanks for asking. I been working like a crazy man. We just lambed approx 300 lambs in the last 3 weeks. Pics to follow. And calving season is just starting. Plus we are expanding the farming operation to include some poultry houses.

AND..... drum role.... My wife came to me 8.3 months ago..... and says ..... " I am pregant!" Yeah, like 10 years after we thought we were done. SOOoooo after I staggered into a few walls... and got used to the idea of life shifting a gear...

Build a nursery ... again! Buy a car seat AGAIN.... And so on.... Oh, and yes I will send Jo a baby picture.

Knife making is good. Got a batch of 30 on the shop table. Just been to busy to take any new customs on lately.

Oh, and for those wondering about Austin... He will be at Blade Show, with my nephew Scott. . I will not unfortunately... He is in EMT school, and a firefighter now. Still working 55 hours a week, saving money for more blades. A behemoth chopper is on his list! (And mine to, but the budgets shot with baby stuff!)

Last edited:
Hey Nathan! Thanks for asking. I been working like a crazy man. We just lambed approx 300 lambs in the last 3 weeks. Pics to follow. And calving season is just starting. Plus we are expanding the farming operation to include some poultry houses.

AND..... drum role.... My wife came to me 8.3 months ago..... and says ..... " I am pregant!" Yeah, like 10 years after we thought we were done. SOOoooo after I staggered into a few walls... and got used to the idea of life shifting a gear...

Build a nursery ... again! Buy a car seat AGAIN.... And so on.... Oh, and yes I will send Jo a baby picture.

Knife making is good. Got a batch of 30 on the shop table. Just been to busy to take any new customs on lately.

Oh, and for those wondering about Austin... He will be at Blade Show, with my nephew Scott. . I will not unfortunately... He is in EMT school, and a firefighter now. Still working 55 hours a week, saving money for more blades. A behemoth chopper is on his list! (And mine to, but the budgets shot with baby stuff!)

Brian, congratulation to both you and your wife :) :thumbsup:

Oh, I must snag Austin's phone number from you just before Blade. Please make sure that he'll remember Uncle Matty :D

Well, got into the Rum after work, which lead to something I have been too nervous to do for a long time.

Here is what the inside of a $2000 Shirogorov Custom Division looks like.

View attachment 867748
What a surprise, I too like taking apart my Shirogorovs :)

DpmPCnPh.jpg

Engineered quite exquisitely just by looking at these photos.

No, but it's sacrilegious to not own ANY Carothers knife ;)

It's not as easy as it seems

I logged on today. To the For Sale by Individuals section. There was a Field knife there that didn't last 10 minutes. I was about 15 minutes too late.

I was bummed. Then I just happened to check the for sale section here. Low, and behold, there she was.

I haven't been this excited about a knife since my Randall Trapper!
And the CPK FK may be a better blade!

I'm a lucky man!

Think muscle memory, it's just like riding a bicycle. So I've been told ;)

I guess it depends :p on how long it's been. My wife and I had to change the diaper on our 2 year old grandson. It took both of us to figure it out. Of course, the last time we changed our kids was in the '70s. These newfangled hi-tec diapers didn't exist back then.

I guess it depends :p on how long it's been. My wife and I had to change the diaper on our 2 year old grandson. It took both of us to figure it out. Of course, the last time we changed our kids was in the '70s. These newfangled hi-tec diapers didn't exist back then.

Gosh darn Velcro. :D

Brian it's good to see you around here again. Where ya been man?

A brief look at what we have been dong. Do we need a CPK farming thread?

This is me using an EDC 3v to open a round silage bale. The 3v will open about 7 bales before being to dull to cut the wrap. 1095 at 60 will cut about 2 -3. CPK EDC in D2 will cut about 8 - 9 in our experience. They are our preferred knife for this task.

Abigail doing the same thing.

Here is about half the lamb crop from this last couple weeks. We love this time of year. Abigail ahndles about 95% of the job on her own. She is a sheep vet, shepherd, and mother to the lambs all in one.... Does a fabulous job.

b3uw7Px.jpg

Jabba is the main farm hand. He is better then 3 people on ATV's.

LdjNACQ.jpg

Man you've got to love working dogs!! Good to see you Brian!
I thought of you as I was posting! Yes sir. We took the children skiing to Schweitzer and Maverick Mountains over Christmas. Thought of you then also. Our friends live in Trout Creek, MT. How far are you from there?

Back