Random Thought Thread

Au contraire mon ami,

I've juggled a number of them, some of these in fact, to others here and there..........

xlarge.jpg

AND some of these......

xlarge.jpg

AND some of these, too.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
You have in fact, I even happen to have one of the pictured knives. I see it right there....

Think you got enough knives there Bob?

Now that there's a completely reasonable collection of CPK's and i'd have one myself if it was in the cards for me. A user, a backup, and a backup backup, looker, or perhaps gift, then the elegant set in black for display, we still actually need a few specimens to fill out the set, and the Shivs, well Shiv hoarding is to me expected human behavior around such badassery and I would exhibit such behavior myself given the chance. :D Not that I'm at all assuming we've seen the extent of it. :rolleyes:

Au contraire mon ami,

I've juggled a number of them, some of these in fact, to others here and there..........

xlarge.jpg

AND some of these......

xlarge.jpg

AND some of these, too.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
Bob, that's one heckuva nice collection! Someone posted a pic of a tree at a knife nuts gathering, with thousands of dollars worth of knives making a ladder up the tree. You could do that all by yourself.

BTW, I must've missed it somewhere, but what were you chopping to make those big dings in the HDFK's edge?

BTW, I must've missed it somewhere, but what were you chopping to make those big dings in the HDFK's edge?

Half inch grade 5 bolt and a 4lb hammer

That was a test blade, we were dialing in the grind geometry. Somehow it landed in Bob's collection

It's actually not quite an HDFK. The handle on production HDFKs may look similar to this one, but they feel substantially more "perfect", considering the additional ergo work done prior to the model being finalized.

As to it's inclusion in the images here, I recall it jumping out of a body of flowing water all on it's own and straight into my hands.:);):D

Random Mother's day present...my wife has been hinting I should make her an "Angel Blade" from the show "Supernatural" for years, so I made her a letter opener size one for work ;)
Screenshot_20180512-161236~2.png Screenshot_20180512-161229~2.png

Three sided stilettos are a pain in the butt to keep symmetrical...it'll be a while before I grind one of those again:eek:.

~Chip

Random Mother's day present...my wife has been hinting I should make her an "Angel Blade" from the show "Supernatural" for years, so I made her a letter opener size one for work ;)
View attachment 905018 View attachment 905019

Three sided stilettos are a pain in the butt to keep symmetrical...it'll be a while before I grind one of those again:eek:.

~Chip

That is so cool, Chip. Don’t think that I’ve missed one episode of “Supernatural”, ever. Great work! Mike

PS - Is that made from Delta 3V?:D

Last edited:
It's actually not quite an HDFK. The handle on production HDFKs may look similar to this one, but they feel substantially more "perfect", considering the additional ergo work done prior to the model being finalized.

Very cool.
As to it's inclusion in the images here, I recall it jumping out of a body of flowing water all on it's own and straight into my hands.:);):D
Must have a magnetic personality. Look at all those finely honed pieces of steel that jumped into your hands.:D

In the sprit of not derailing the other thread.....

My guess is because the handle isn’t glued/epoxied and there are expansion rate differentials between the materials, heat cycles allow things to creep in there slowly and get stuck. Maybe the scale bows slightly when it gets warm because tolerances on the pins are so tight. Maybe it’s just the inevitable differences in the flatness of the surfaces.

I’m not a materials scientist though. I am happy to see someone else publicly corroborate my rust experience which I’ve been on about for like two years while mostly everyone has been giving me the :confused:

Here is some more thread jacking.

View attachment 906019
View attachment 906018

@JustinFournier; yep, that Shiro looks like a total loss. Send me that Hati for proper disposal.

Also, the heat (or cold) in normal operating temperatures wouldn't change the expansion enough between the handle and scale to warrant moisture being trapped between there in of itself. I believe the stronger cause is the inside of the scales along with the tang finish isn't perfectly smooth and will still allow moisture to creep in unless some other non-corrosive material fills the space (ie oil/clp). I also believe micarta is more porous compared to G10, so trapped moisture (tang rust) is probably more likely with the former. I'm not a material scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn...

Back