Random Thought Thread

That is accurate. It is more akin to an explosion that starts at one point and ends 8 miles later. I've seen it happen. It's like a huge whoosh but instead a roar. When you have a long stretch of bone dry kindling, ie, highly combustible fluff, 65 mph(+) winds, ignition through a large area can be much closer to instantaneous than be defined by a measure of speed.

Hey, maybe it was 20 seconds, not 15. But guarantee you what I saw over that 8 mi stretch happened in close to an instant.
Wow, tough to get out of the path of that for sure.

About 10-12 years ago, my "hobby" was a newbie videophile enthusiast and then somewhat of an audiophile so it was important to me to have the latest and the greatest TV coupled to a decent enough sound system. Welp, that was well over decade ago when I also lost interest and that sh*t fizzled out when I realized that it was just a fast depreciating with ever so-fast changing technology.

Every year since then, whenever I walked into my local Costco around this time of the year I just ogled over new TVs and then told myself, well, maybe next year! 4K tech came and went by and then the stupid curved screens which thankfully have now become all but obsolete. I always liked the OLED LCD screens because they provided the deepest black colors short of the Plasma screens (RIP) but I found their prices to be stupidly prohibitive whenever looking at screen sizes of = or > 55". Now, I think that I finally may break down after 10 years since I bought my last Samsung LCD and go for the Costco version of the newest Samsung QLED LCD display smart TV. Granted that Costco does not carry the top of the line models (like version 8 or 9 of this model) but their "mere" model 6 at about a 1.3K mark for a 65" or just under 2K for their 75" seem like plenty good TVs. The side viewing which has always been the dreaded LCD technology shortcoming has improved tremendously, although still far from perfection but now close(ish) to the old Plasma TVs or the OLED LCDs.

Funny thing that I have now developed a penchant for dropping close to 1K on a folding knife and have bought many knives, both folding and fixed, in the 750-1000 range, but I really, really, really have to compel myself to buy a larger screen smart TV for the first time in 10 years!!! I dunno what it is, maybe I look at demising returns as I am getting older and more conservative with my expenditure. Can't quite honestly say if it is fun or not, counting my pennies and debating as to how (both wisely and foolishly) to spend them!!!

TL; DR version: I'm both cheap and also large toward myself depending on the newest shiny object which happens to grab my fickle fancy!

Last edited:
About 10-12 years ago, my "hobby" was a newbie videophile enthusiast and then somewhat of an audiophile so it was important to me to have the latest and the greatest TV coupled to a decent enough sound system. Welp, that was well over decade ago when I also lost interest and that sh*t fizzled out when I realized that it was just a fast depreciating with ever so-fast changing technology.

Every year since then, whenever I walked into my local Costco around this time of the year I just ogled over new TVs and then told myself, well, maybe next year! 4K tech came and went by and then the stupid curved screens which thankfully have now become all but obsolete. I always liked the OLED LCD screens because they provided the deepest black colors short of the Plasma screens (RIP) but I found their prices to be stupidly prohibitive whenever looking at screen sizes of = or > 55". Now, I think that I finally may break down after 10 years since I bought my last Samsung LCD and go for the Costco version of the newest Samsung QLED LCD display smart TV. Granted that Costco does not carry the top of the line models (like version 8 or 9 of this model) but their "mere" model 6 at about a 1.3K mark for a 65" or just under 2K for their 75" seem like plenty good TVs. The side viewing which has always been the dreaded LCD technology shortcoming has improved tremendously, although still far from perfection but now close(ish) to the old Plasma TVs or the OLED LCDs.

Funny thing that I have now developed a penchant for dropping close to 1K on a folding knife and have bought many knives, both folding and fixed, in the 750-1000 range, but I really, really, really have to compel myself to buy a larger screen smart TV for the first time in 10 years!!! I dunno what it is, maybe I look at demising returns as I am getting older and more conservative with my expenditure. Can't quite honestly say if it is fun or not, counting my pennies and debating as to how (both wisely and foolishly) to spend them!!!

TL; DR version: I'm both cheap and also large toward myself depending on the newest shiny object which happens to grab my fickle fancy!
Since we love spending other people's money, and encouraging them to covet the next, new shiny...:p

You should check out 4k OLED HDR. OLED black levels are superior to plasma. Couple that with the higher peaks with the new HDR capable sets, and the result is absolutely stunning. Potentially makes you want to rewatch movies you've seen before, to see what they look like on these.

No projection setup can currently come close to OLED's contrast and dynamic range. After getting used to OLED (and even the good plasma sets), theater black levels are a washed out gray (and with OLED HDR, plasma whites aren't very bright comparatively).

Since we love spending other people's money, and encouraging them to covet the next, new shiny...:p

You should check out 4k OLED HDR. OLED black levels are superior to plasma. Couple that with the higher peaks with the new HDR capable sets, and the result is absolutely stunning. Potentially makes you want to rewatch movies you've seen before, to see what they look like on these.

No projection setup can currently come close to OLED's contrast and dynamic range. After getting used to OLED (and even the good plasma sets), theater black levels are a washed out gray (and with OLED HDR, plasma whites aren't very bright comparatively).

Oh, believe me that I always gasp when I look at what seems to be well timed up OLED TVs at places like Best Buy but a quick look at their prices, I plummet fast down to reality. I'll leave rewatching movies which we've seen many times in the past to young whipper snappers like you :D

Once upon a time, a powerful Emperor of the Rising Sun advertised for a new Chief Samurai. After a year, only three applied for the job: a Japanese, a Chinese and a Jewish Samurai.

"Demonstrate your skills!" commanded the Emperor.
Japanese samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box and released a fly. He drew his samurai sword and *Swish!* the fly fell to the floor, neatly divided in two!
"What a feat!" said the Emperor. "Number Two Samurai, show me what you do."
The Chinese samurai smiled confidently, stepped forward and opened a tiny box, releasing a fly.He drew his samurai sword and *Swish! *Swish!* The fly fell to the floor neatly quartered.
"That is skill!" nodded the Emperor. "How are you going to top that, Number three Samurai?"
The Jewish samurai, Yoku Cohen, stepped forward, opened a tiny box releasing one fly, drew his samurai sword and *Swoosh!* flourished his sword mightily, but the fly was still buzzing around!
In disappointment, the Emperor said, "What kind of skill is that? The fly isn't even dead."
"Dead," replied Cohen in contempt. "Dead is easy. Now circumcision, that takes real skill."

We have a 5 year old Samsung TV. Almost every time I walk into the living room, it has something in black and white on it. :rolleyes: Maybe it's broken.

401a58acc582e12eb9ee6e9340f62fc3.jpg
chuck-connors_a-G-341495-13198926.jpg

MV5BNGVhYjA2NGItZDA4YS00ZjU3LTlhMGYtZDQ5YzM3MWYzMTc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

OL-Title-21-400x304.jpg

Last edited:
Once upon a time, a powerful Emperor of the Rising Sun advertised for a new Chief Samurai. After a year, only three applied for the job: a Japanese, a Chinese and a Jewish Samurai.

"Demonstrate your skills!" commanded the Emperor.
Japanese samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box and released a fly. He drew his samurai sword and *Swish!* the fly fell to the floor, neatly divided in two!
"What a feat!" said the Emperor. "Number Two Samurai, show me what you do."
The Chinese samurai smiled confidently, stepped forward and opened a tiny box, releasing a fly.He drew his samurai sword and *Swish! *Swish!* The fly fell to the floor neatly quartered.
"That is skill!" nodded the Emperor. "How are you going to top that, Number three Samurai?"
The Jewish samurai, Yoku Cohen, stepped forward, opened a tiny box releasing one fly, drew his samurai sword and *Swoosh!* flourished his sword mightily, but the fly was still buzzing around!
In disappointment, the Emperor said, "What kind of skill is that? The fly isn't even dead."
"Dead," replied Cohen in contempt. "Dead is easy. Now circumcision, that takes real skill."

oh geez:D

CDore CDore I didn't want to clog up the thread in which you had posted so here's response which you will not like!

Regarding your WTB post in the CPK market thread: there were no burlap handle scales for the original FK and also there were very, very limited number of FKs that were offered with the fancy antique edgecut micarta handle scales. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than maybe 15 FKs with those handle scales. While not impossible to find one with the knife included at prices easily exceeding the original $ x 2+, you will not find any loose extra set of those scales, but you will find over 50 takers for one if they existed :D

CDore CDore I didn't want to clog up the thread in which you had posted so here's response which you will not like!

Regarding your WTB post in the CPK market thread: there were no burlap handle scales for the original FK and also there were very, very limited number of FKs that were offered with the fancy antique edgecut micarta handle scales. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than maybe 15 FKs with those handle scales. While not impossible to find one with the knife included at prices easily exceeding the original $ x 2+, you will not find any loose extra set of those scales, but you will find over 50 takers for one if they existed :D

Thats what I figured. Worth a shot though!

^ I think that Nathan closed the deal on acquiring the massive block of the antique micarta material after the glory days of FK and EDC-1's regular production runs, or if had the material beforehand he was not offering those handle scales in antique micarta for those two patterns on a regular basis. I remember that he once did an exclusive sale of FKs and EDC-1 pattern in edgecut antique micarta and despite the fact that back then there were not as many CPK'ers around as these days, this place still went nuts (sadly, I didn't land any!). I can try to find that sales thread but just going by pure memory, maybe there were no more than 7 units of FK / EDC1 combined!

Luckily though, the EDC2 handle scales and the EDC1 handle scales happened to become completely interchangeable although there was a minuscule and hardly noticeable change in girth (there's also a thread about it on here) when EDC2 handle scales were put on the EDC1 and vice versa. I managed to snag an extra set of edgecut antique micarta handle scales for my EDC1 but I now consider that as an after-market upgrade! The darn FK handle scales in edgecut antique micarta have eluded me ever since :( I doubt if FK-2's handle scales will be totally interchangeable with the original FK because if for nothing else, there will not be that protruding tang / pry bar at the pummel end of FK2 and also because Nathan does continuous improvements and tweaking to the his handle scales designs, but if for some fluke reason the two iterations should be compatible with their handle scales, you will see a lot of very ecstatic folks on here who will chump at the chance of acquiring those scales for their original FKs.

Hope is eternal :D

Back