Random Thought Thread

Awhile ago, I think it was last year, I sold a Surefire E1. This was a very early model with an incandescent bulb. I posted it in the Exchange for $50 and got nothing but lowball offers, so I put it on eBay for $50 and got several messages from people who wanted to buy it now. I let the auction continue and it sold for $305. You never know.

Relating to UffDa's post:

Those subforum friends who know more info about me, already know that I have an online business and I do a bulk of my selling on the Big Auction Site (not related to knives or cutlery). However when it has come to this hobby of mine, I have used the Exchanges here in the past for moving the knives which I acquired, fondled and then I concluded were not for me. I had always thought that it was much better to let a knife go within this community for a little over/under so that another enthusiast has the chance to enjoy what was surplus to my needs, rather than trying to make a "living" profit on it on that auction site. in the past few months I sold on a couple of Spydercos which luckily for me also gained me a great forum friend who happens to be a very knowledgeable and a very helpful person. The camaraderie has always been more important and paramount to me than purely profiteering. In fact I moved along 4 CPKs in Jan 2017 for basically cost less fees which I could've sold for more even on the main Exchange but I was happy that they mostly went to our great subforum buddies.

However recently when I tried to move along a couple of CRKs, I was very disappointed to find out that the prospective buyers were mostly low-ballers where one even had the gonads to leave a sarcastic GLWS type of message which was against the Exchange's rules which was removed. I don't know if this is something to do about that particular brand and the cohorts it brings in or it has just become more of a normal behavior. While I know that when it comes to a CPK there will not be such nonsense, I would like to believe that the Community members continue to respect the wishes of a seller who states: No Offers, without snide remarks and cat calls. While I see nothing wrong with trying to save a buck or two, the approach and the pitch make a significant difference as to whether the buyer is trying to endear himself to the seller for a better deal or just trying to enforce an entitled attitude for a better deal. I don't know, perhaps I'm getting too old and too old fashioned for today's more youthful generation (those who feel they belong to the latter stated category!) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
giphy.gif

How do you guys get these funny clips from TV and movies? And how do you insert them?

Id rather give a knife to a friend for free than try to sell it for a mark-up. I really try not to sell any of my knives. With the exception of 2 i use most of them fairly regularly and i almost feel like they have their own "personality" in the different ways that they handle. Also alot of myknifes have memories attached to them and if its gotta go id rather see it with someone i know will use it and enjoy it. not someone who will keep it boxed up to try and sell for a profit later... but thats just me and to each their own way.

Why do drive up ATM's have braille on the keypads?
They make one set of numbers. To cut production costs of having two lines for machines that may have a higher likelihood and a lower likelihood of blind patrons, and potentially missing a transaction (and profit) they make one set of numbers.

Do the braille dots bother anyone that don't need them, not really, but they are Incredibly appreciated by those that need it.

Nice deer, I assume it is a Muley? What did it field dress out to?

Thanks! Yep it's a young muledeer. I'm not sure what it dressed, I'd guess maybe 175 or so. We had two bucks down, my buddy's boy and I, and were scrambling to get them off the hill before dark. That's his first buck in the picture below, and when he shot it the other one jumped up. We'd been concentrating on his and missed this one in the sage. I had a tag in my pocket and decided quickly to fill it right then, it was a really fun and memorable hunt.

iumgsQ0.jpg

I have a picture folder of 'high fives' for successful hunts, especially when hunting with a young person. They get so excited, I have about as much fun watching them as I do hunting myself. :) This is cropped, don't want to go posting his kid on the internet, but you get the idea.

g71LNtc.jpg

Thanks! Yep it's a young muledeer. I'm not sure what it dressed, I'd guess maybe 175 or so. We had two bucks down, my buddy's boy and I, and were scrambling to get them off the hill before dark. That's his first buck in the picture below, and when he shot it the other one jumped up. We'd been concentrating on his and missed this one in the sage. I had a tag in my pocket and decided quickly to fill it right then, it was a really fun and memorable hunt.

iumgsQ0.jpg

I have a picture folder of 'high fives' for successful hunts, especially when hunting with a young person. They get so excited, I have about as much fun watching them as I do hunting myself. :) This is cropped, don't want to go posting his kid on the internet, but you get the idea.

g71LNtc.jpg
This is awesome. Hunting culture isn't really a thing here, or atleast where I live (Melbourne, Victoria) so I've never killed a 4 legged animal. I'd really like to get into it. I've been fishing a million and one times but never hunted. I know a thing or two from watching channels like deermeatfordinner on youtube but it's obviously nothing to what I would learn actually doing it. Guns are harder (still possible) to acquire here, compound and other bows are bought over the counter, no problem.

Dave, would you reccomend me jumping through the hoops and being anally examined [:eek:] by the government to get my hands on a rifle for hunting or should I pick up a bow and start practicing my aim?

RE: lowballing. I had a friend who's philosophy was "all they can say is no." I could not do it. If the price is right and I can afford it, I just buy it. If I think the price is to high, I just move along.

RE: Post #55.

c9ccc6cf7ddf943fa463ada8af237e29.jpg

^ Never a good thing if they're looking at you like you owe them money!!

Also, I forget sometimes that maybe some folks wouldn't like to see those pictures?? If that's the case I'll gladly edit, someone just say so.

This is awesome. Hunting culture isn't really a thing here, or atleast where I live (Melbourne, Victoria) so I've never killed a 4 legged animal. I'd really like to get into it. I've been fishing a million and one times but never hunted. I know a thing or two from watching channels like deermeatfordinner on youtube but it's obviously nothing to what I would learn actually doing it. Guns are harder (still possible) to acquire here, compound and other bows are bought over the counter, no problem.

Dave, would you reccomend me jumping through the hoops and being anally examined [:eek:] by the government to get my hands on a rifle for hunting or should I pick up a bow and start practicing my aim?

I didn't realize hunting rifles were so hard to get there. I'll you send you a PM, maybe I can answer some general questions for you Luke.

Last edited:
Why do drive up ATM's have braille on the keypads?
Thank you.. they also have headphone jacks.. just in case the blind person using the drive through is unable to locate the keypad.

I would hope they have never been used.. but I'm sure they have.

Buckle up for safety, my friends.

Back