Random Thought Thread

You want to swap fail stories, I sent a message offering someone a proxy who had requested it, then I went to buy food and didn't see their reply (yes please I'd love a proxy), completely forgot about the sale until I glanced up and saw that it was 3:00.

New strategy worked better, even with a late unlock and two missed clicks. Phew! Finally time to relax with a beer. (I'm in Europe, it's late, ok? ;) )

I hope Nathan don't release any new patterns or versions of steel soon so we can all relax from these crazy fridays. ;)

isnt this the worst......

EDC3 and UFK were originally supposed to be here on the 14th according to USPS, Then was updated to today.
Now it says this...

February 15, 2019
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

I'm about to pull out whats left of my thinning hair.
hahah

This was my first attempt at a Friday sale in quite some time, and my first time at a sale of this magnitude (# of folks vying and pieces available). I thought I was toast for sure, after two missed reloads. (Nate, did you post a few seconds late?). FWIW, I was on my iphone, Verizon, 1/2 mile from the nearest tower, in rural Hawaii. With the number of folks in the game now, "luck"/how the server handles the traffic jam has become a huge factor.

This was my first attempt at a Friday sale in quite some time, and my first time at a sale of this magnitude (# of folks vying and pieces available). I thought I was toast for sure, after two missed reloads. (Nate, did you post a few seconds late?). FWIW, I was on my iphone, Verizon, 1/2 mile from the nearest tower, in rural Hawaii. With the number of folks in the game now, "luck"/how the server handles the traffic jam has become a huge factor.

Congrats and well done / well deserved specially after what you had posted about the theft of your few knives a few weeks back. BTW, any news regarding that?

You know, a cell phone trial maybe the better way to go because with my supposedly fast everything, when the system bottlenecks, my darn BFC page keeps opening extra pages which is akin to server error, sorta kinda! Lastly, no Nathan posts right on time according to his well sync'd watch and clock but it probably takes a good 10 seconds for the post to appear with that heavy traffic!

Congrats and well done / well deserved specially after what you had posted about the theft of your few knives a few weeks back. BTW, any news regarding that?

You know, a cell phone trial maybe the better way to go because with my supposedly fast everything, when the system bottlenecks, my darn BFC page keeps opening extra pages which is akin to server error, sorta kinda! Lastly, no Nathan posts right on time according to his well sync'd watch and clock but it probably takes a good 10 seconds for the post to appear with that heavy traffic!

I failed last week on a T1, made it through on a Iphone today. Maybe...

I tried counting the posts that made it. I think # 18 was the last. All within 1 minute. :D

BTW, what it the letters? Is that supposed to mean something?

I failed last week on a T1, made it through on a Iphone today. Maybe...

We maybe onto something there ;)

I hit Nathan's thread as soon as I saw it which was like 10 secs past and it just froze a bit and then opened another window! I hit it again and it opened another window! By the time I entered the message, I saw the first page already populated and knew I was TOAST. I don't even know why I bothered posting other than wanting to see where I'd truly end up. I have never clicked on a thread to open and then get a new window opening involuntarily! This is akin to server errors but in a more techie way :D

We maybe onto something there ;)

I hit Nathan's thread as soon as I saw it which was like 10 secs past and it just froze a bit and then opened another window! I hit it again and it opened another window! By the time I entered the message, I saw the first page already populated and knew I was TOAST. I don't even know why I bothered posting other than wanting to see where I'd truly end up. I have never clicked on a thread to open and then get a new window opening involuntarily! This is akin to server errors but in a more techie way :D

You sure you didn't have your finger on command when you clicked the link? That's the hotkey to open a link in a new window on Mac. It's also where your thumb is when you're getting ready to spam command + R and command + down arrow.

For what it's worth I make all my posts from my phone, either cell service or home/work WiFi.

This last sale took two refreshes for the thread to pop up after my atomic clock showed 12:00:00, the thread took a couple seconds to load and so did my post. I've never seen these server errors that keep getting mentioned...

~Chip

You sure you didn't have your finger on command when you clicked the link? That's the hotkey to open a link in a new window on Mac. It's also where your thumb is when you're getting ready to spam command + R and command + down arrow.

Yup good one! Apparently I get in that dear in headlight zone and smash keys like a burro!

My thumb? Might as well be up me own arse!

Edited to add: yup, exactly what happened. A dummy blames tech but the DUMMY himself is to be blamed for it ALL :rolleyes: This is why I like to do sh*t by myself because only adversity becomes a teaching/learning moment!

Last edited:
I haven't tried my phone for a sale ... but I do know that my phone is nuch faster to refresh and post from than my laptop on the same wifi ...

now neither can touch my desktop as far as performance and refresh speeds ... but the traffic if you click as just the wrong second ... it can take what seems time enough to grow a beard and grill a steak before the page actually loads ...

and damn if the steak diesn't taste like spam after you refresh again and see you're number 42 ...

but the bourbon Friday evenin after the sale tastes pretty good after a swing and a miss ...

This last sale took two refreshes for the thread to pop up after my atomic clock showed 12:00:00, the thread took a couple seconds to load and so did my post.

Took me three refreshes to see the post starting at exactly 15:00:00EDT.

What was the over/under on the page load time, because I might've won that bet at least.

I've never seen these server errors that keep getting mentioned...

Be thankful for that. They are the bane of my existence. My connection is fast, my technique is good, the server denies me like a bouncer at the club.

It's a red dialog box that comes up after waiting a few seconds and then it lets you click "post" again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So, I just noticed that @Jo the Machinist has a ZERO feedback score. How is this even remotely possible?!? I just tried to leave her feedback and it would not let me, which may be the most egregious error in Bladeforums, of. all. time!

So my feedback is this, BUY WITH CONFIDENCE. Jo is one of the best people on the planet and I know most of the best people so you can trust me on this.

It just seemed silly that I couldn't leave her feedback. It's because she didn't actually start the sales thread. I was hoping about 8,000 positive feedback posts could be made for her.

Whatever. Stupid BF Feedback.

Because Jo does not initiate and start FS threads. When I was very green I used to leave FB for Nathan but honestly, does one think that anyone is really concerned whatsoever about Nathan's business ethos and business integrity, aside from the actual knives themselves? I think that the feedback system serves a better purpose for private party and peer-to-peer transactions.

Back