Random Thought Thread

Or donate it. Or have the state seize it all. Whatever the case may be you're not using it anymore. And nothing wrong with a trust fund, I'm sure there are many on here who have one. Heck, I hope to leave my son a sizable inheritance. Just need to keep buying lotto tickets...
no disrespect to trust funders in general, of course, (well, maybe a couple...)

Last edited:
i0YVLBc.png

Is it just me or have you guys noticed that prices of CPK on the exchange have come back out of the nose bleed section and are approaching "reasonable" again?

There are several sales recently for close to original pricing. An original FK is on the exchange for a good deal less than they have been sold for, and it is a relist.

I attribute this to CPK getting some decent volume out there and I see this all as a good thing! I sincerely hope this means team CPK are the primary beneficiaries of the sales of their knives and they are finally getting to the levels of production they want. I am sure the quieter secondary market is NOT because of any perceived diminishing quality or some other negative view.

Last edited:
Is it just me or have you guys noticed that prices of CPK on the exchange have come back out of the nose bleed section and are approaching "reasonable" again?

There are several sales recently for close to original pricing. An original FK is on the exchange for a good deal less than they have been sold for, and it is a relist.

I attribute this to CPK getting some decent volume out there and I see this all as a good thing! I sincerely hope this means team CPK are the primary beneficiaries of the sales of their knives and they are finally getting to the levels of production they want. I am sure the quieter secondary market is NOT because of any perceived diminishing quality or some other negative view.

Tony, I think that the majority of these recent cases had knives for sale that "had only been used to cut cardboard" or "hardly used", etc, enough anyway to show the minor marks on the blade that an unused one won't have - and IMHO many people are coming around to the fact that any use of a knife, at least in the eyes of a collector, means an indeterminate loss of value if the blade shows any kind of use marks at all - in these cases still not down to the initial sale cost. Result - untouched knives will sell, when used knives will sell for less.

Tony, I think that the majority of these recent cases had knives for sale that "had only been used to cut cardboard" or "hardly used", etc, enough anyway to show the minor marks on the blade that an unused one won't have - and IMHO many people are coming around to the fact that any use of a knife, at least in the eyes of a collector, means an indeterminate loss of value if the blade shows any kind of use marks at all - in these cases still not down to the initial sale cost. Result - untouched knives will sell, when used knives will sell for less.
I think it's a combination of both.

The fact that CPK has been able to increase their production volumes, with these recent sales with 40(+) knives in a batch, on a fairly regular basis (i.e. not 40 once a year or something), means buyers on the secondary market can be more discriminating, as you pointed out, when looking for a clean, unblemished item, or expecting a more realistic price for a used item.

Even 6 months back, before these higher volume sales began, and CPKs on the secondary market were still fairly uncommon, it was rare to see them pop up, and they were usually gone in under 5 minutes after they were listed, even at prices significantly over CPK's original pricing.

That's a great thing for CPK, as it means more easily attainable access for newcomers, and potentially, better access on the sales, as the folks who had an inclination to buy 2-4 with the intention of flipping the additional purchases for profit, are now less inclined to do so, when they realize the margins may not be there.

P.S. I'm sure the less common/discontinued models will still command a pretty decent price on the secondary market though.

The price of those original FKs went up too high based on a pattern that many of them were already produced and also based on their original prices from Nathan's workshop which IMHO were very very reasonable to start with. Some of those rarest of FKs still command and fetch high prices because they come with fancy handle scales and very few in the fancy finish (none delta 3V) and very very few in the old school A2.

By and large the rarest of Carothers now are in private collections and then the whole matrix changes with the collection psyche settling into the game. I can only imagine that Nathan did not specifically get into the knife making field with making collectible knives as a viable commercial plan and to some degree he still much prefers users over collectors but I think that just like BUSSE, a majority of CPK buyers are collectors specially after the birth of this subforum. Like it or not, this grew organically within the ranks and then flourished.

I have always stated that swooping in to buy Nathan's knives specially when they are so sought after at the beginning, just to fondle and then flip for profit is a crass behavior but 2-3 years down the road when patterns retire, by when most people have had a fair chance (getting better and more efficient with ramped up productions and expansions) to acquire / order what they wanted, what changes hands at what price and for what purpose is the sole business of the parties who agree and decide on those transactions.

I agree it's good to see the secondary market come down to earth ...

I think it may have in part corrected from people passing up the inflated prices ... and sellers finally having to drop prices several times before selling them ...

it took awhile for people to realise if they just refuse to fuel that particular fire it will correct itself ... and I think there are fewer flipping CPKs because it's not a sure thing to double the price ...

much like the Hinderer used market a few years back ...

the worth of anything is completely dependant on what someone is willing to pay for it ... reguardless of the orginal cost ...

in this case CPKs are a value IMHO ... and I'm sure people would pay more for them new ... but I'm glad Nathan cares enough about his product and customers that he tries to keep them affordable ... even if he could most likely sell them for much higher prices.

My CPKs make me feel happy and therefore I'm in a state of satisfaction when I handle / fondle / collect / use (sparingly) my CPKs. The happiness part is just as stated, i.e, a good feeling induced by the endorphins released in my brain, but the satisfaction is an appraisal of my actions and decisions to partake in CPK ownership.

^ too academic? Need to get a life?! :D :p

Back