Random Thought Thread

There isn't much reason that would be accepted beyond "for work".
A friend of mine had a box cutter on him on a train and got pulled up by police. He explained it was for work. They called his boss to confirm before letting him go.

Also, NSW seems to have the least amount of tolerance. There is basically no leancy unless you get a nice cop...

I was in a friends car once and we got pulled up by police. They searched his car and found a swish army knife. He told us to get out of his car, made us put our hands on the his police car bonnet while he did paper work.
My friend was that close to being charged for it, but the police believed him in the end, that it wasn't a weapon. That was after much consideration and seeing his name encraved on it and believing him that it was just a sendimental present.

I also used to carry a screwdriver in my car before one day having my car searched. The police found the screwdriver, questioned and hassled me about it. But having found nothing else, and I was cooportative during it all, they let it slip.

ETA: I don't know how to multi quote...

"That sucks!
Is that just fixed blades?
I know you said, “...any form at all.”, but
can you carry a slipjoint (legally)?
I ask because I was under the impression that slipjoints under a certain length were ok.
What about freshly sharpened pencils?"

Even folders and slippies of any kind or blade length.
Only allowed to carry in public if required for work.
When I use to study, I worked at a pizza shop and carried a folder. Outside of that, they can only be carried during camping/bushwalks.

Down here, knives are only ever used for one thing; murdery affairs :rolleyes:

Knives are only viewed as weapons here. 99% of our population would have no idea knife collecting was a thing/hobby. That's why market and even members here, are so few compared to you folk.
Our laws don't really allow for this all to exist haha.
Even more bizzare to people would be the fact that this forum even exists.

A sharp pencil would be fine, but don't be caught with it ;)

"You mean Crocodile Dundee was breaking the law carrying that big ass Bowie with him all the time. :eek:"

Nope!! Crocodile Dundee wasn't infact carrying a bowie.
The bowie, was carrying him.
Wow, really? How long have these anti-knife laws been around? Was I unknowingly breaking the law, walking around with a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket when I was visiting Oz in the 80's?

Heck, I wanted the Mick Dundee 'knoife'. Lol. It probably reinforced my liking for large camp knives (had already carried various large blades on camping trips by then).

Wow, really? How long have these anti-knife laws been around? Was I unknowingly breaking the law, walking around with a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket when I was visiting Oz in the 80's?

Heck, I wanted the Mick Dundee 'knoife'. Lol. It probably reinforced my liking for large camp knives (had already carried various large blades on camping trips by then).
I think the 80's were much less strict. I was born in 91 and since I can remember, there has been low tolerances here. Particularly in NSW

Hahah, ye, if only his popularity brought a popularity in knives. Peter pan was what made me first love knives as a kid. The walking dead started the journey and was what made me find this forum and start collecting to begin with haha :D

There isn't much reason that would be accepted beyond "for work".
A friend of mine had a box cutter on him on a train and got pulled up by police. He explained it was for work. They called his boss to confirm before letting him go.

Also, NSW seems to have the least amount of tolerance. There is basically no leancy unless you get a nice cop...

I was in a friends car once and we got pulled up by police. They searched his car and found a swish army knife. He told us to get out of his car, made us put our hands on the his police car bonnet while he did paper work.
My friend was that close to being charged for it, but the police believed him in the end, that it wasn't a weapon. That was after much consideration and seeing his name encraved on it and believing him that it was just a sendimental present.

I also used to carry a screwdriver in my car before one day having my car searched. The police found the screwdriver, questioned and hassled me about it. But having found nothing else, and I was cooportative during it all, they let it slip.
That's crazy...

All that over a Swiss Army Knife. I'm guessing if they're that strict about it now, that any multitools that incorporate a blade, like a Leatherman, would also be considered a weapon unless it was necessary for work?

I haven't been without a Swiss Army Knife (at the very least) in my pocket since I was a kid. Heck, I even forgot it in my pocket and took it to school numerous times. Even when a teacher caught me with it, there was no fuss, or SWAT team called in. Just a simple, "You're not supposed to have this in class. You'll have to pick it up at the Principal's office".

The Vice Principal was a nice guy. He'd just say, "Hey, I know you probably just forgot you had it in your pocket. Just try to remember not to bring it to class next time", and hand it back to me.

This was also back in the day, where it wasn't uncommon to see multiple pickup trucks with a rifle or shotgun in the rack, in the school parking lot (especially around hunting season).

How are Oz's laws regarding pepper spray? I know the laws in the UK appear to be heavily biased against self-defense. No carrying anything that could be used for self-defense, including pepper spray.

That's crazy...

All that over a Swiss Army Knife. I'm guessing if they're that strict about it now, that any multitools that incorporate a blade, like a Leatherman, would also be considered a weapon unless it was necessary for work?

I haven't been without a Swiss Army Knife (at the very least) in my pocket since I was a kid. Heck, I even forgot it in my pocket and took it to school numerous times. Even when a teacher caught me with it, there was no fuss, or SWAT team called in. Just a simple, "You're not supposed to have this in class. You'll have to pick it up at the Principal's office".

The Vice Principal was a nice guy. He'd just say, "Hey, I know you probably just forgot you had it in your pocket. Just try to remember not to bring it to class next time", and hand it back to me.

This was also back in the day, where it wasn't uncommon to see multiple pickup trucks with a rifle or shotgun in the rack, in the school parking lot (especially around hunting season).

How are Oz's laws regarding pepper spray? I know the laws in the UK appear to be heavily biased against self-defense. No carrying anything that could be used for self-defense, including pepper spray.
Yeah man it totally sucks.
I really hope things change here and we can carry a simple SAK or folder. I almost always have a folder on me in my pockst at home. I can't imagine the usefulness and simple sense of security i'd have carrying one outside of home. I think a multitool would be questioned as much as a SAK because it has a blade. But I am not really sure. It'd be risky to find out haha

A few months ago a car infront of me steered left and hit a parked car in such a way that the wheels used the parked car as a ramp and sent it airborne, flipped and landed upside down. I was behind the car and got out to help. The door was jammed and when I finally got it open, I found a lady sitting upside down and trapped in her seatbelt. The seatbelt was also jammed up and it took a long time getting the lady out of the car. I remember shouting to onlookers if they had a knife. It would have saved her a lot of time being able to cut the seatbelt loose.

That sounds like an awesome principle and a reasonable guy. Was that highschool? I can't see that happening here. Only for primary school. We found a child at the school I work at, with a SAK. The teacher just took it until school was over. But she was only in year 3. So there wasn't much fuss.

I have been told pepper spray is legal for females only to carry. But I am not even sure if that is legal in NSW.

As a male, I can carry nothing to defend myself with.
I am currently studying my masters at uni and attend night classes. It is in the city which can sometimes get a little sketchy. I just carry a solid metal pen if I feel uneasy haha

Last edited:
:eek: well that would just about cause me to load up and go get lost in Alaska or Sibera ...

I'll take "things that make you shake your head" for 500 Alex ...
With things being like this since I was born, I guess I am just use to it.
But I am holding out and hoping that things change here and we can start carrying at least a damn folder.

I guess I may be older then I think at 51 ... but hell when I went to school the teachers borrowed pocket knives from kids often ..

and it was rare that a boy didn't carry a pocket knife ... granted I grew up in a rural area but all these new restrictions don't even make sense ...

we killed each other with rocks and sticks until we had knives and guns ... we will kill each other with whatever is handy ...

I'm sure growing up with things that way it isn't such a shock ... but I think most areas I've lived or spent much time ... I truely believe there would be people dying because they would not just give up their knives ... and take away their guns ... can you say civil war?

With things being like this since I was born, I guess I am just use to it.
But I am holding out and hoping that things change here and we can start carrying at least a damn folder.

The kids here can carry, even at school, as long as the length of the blade is not longer than the width of their palm. I think I live in one of the last best places on Earth.

Oh my!

88tyI9h.png

Yep, that looks like a dagger to me for sure, looking like about an 18" blade.

And it's a one off, not like anyone else is gonna see anything quite like it, at least for the foreseeable future, I would suspect. Congratulations to .........!!

Last edited:
Yep, that looks like a dagger to me for sure, looking like about an 18" blade.

And it's a one off, not like anyone else is gonna see anything quite like it, at least for the foreseeable future, I would suspect. Congratulations to .........!!

It's only a 14-inch blade. Just a large knife. It's designed to kill spiders

It's only a 14-inch blade. Just a large knife. It's designed to kill spiders

If memory serves, seems like you once had in mind to do something similar, sizewise, with one of the other stabby objects in the repetoire.

As to this current piece in process, it appears from the first pic (focusing on the guard) that the handle will be fitted with insets, ie, an "interframe dagger", so am wondering what material you've decided to use for those insets.

Last edited:
Back