Random Thought Thread

I was working in a commercial kitchen yesterday. Replacing a couple solenoid valves on a commercial dishwasher and replacing the cord on a plate warmer.
I had my EDC2 out to strip the insulation on the SO cable for the plate warmer. One of the employees seemed bothered by my knife. She asked what I needed such a big knife for. She got the attention of a couple other employees. Saying, “ Look at that - that makes me nervous” (to be fair, I’m a little rough around the edges). I just smiled and shook my head. She said, “What? That’s scary.” I pointed to the wall behind her where there was a magnetic strip holding a dozen knives, all of which were two to three times the size of my EDC2.
There was no rebuttal, she just went back to work.

I was working in a commercial kitchen yesterday. Replacing a couple solenoid valves on a commercial dishwasher and replacing the cord on a plate warmer.
I had my EDC2 out to strip the insulation on the SO cable for the plate warmer. One of the employees seemed bothered by my knife. She asked what I needed such a big knife for. She got the attention of a couple other employees. Saying, “ Look at that - that makes me nervous” (to be fair, I’m a little rough around the edges). I just smiled and shook my head. She said, “What? That’s scary.” I pointed to the wall behind her where there was a magnetic strip holding a dozen knives, all of which were two to three times the size of my EDC2.
There was no rebuttal, she just went back to work.
Smh. Seems like some folks wake up in the AM, just looking to be offended/scared by as many things as possible. Just leave the EDC2 at home the next time you have to go out there..and bring a HDFK instead ;)

Smh. Seems like some folks wake up in the AM, just looking to be offended/scared by as many things as possible. Just leave the EDC2 at home the next time you have to go out there..and bring a HDFK instead ;)
I had my shiny, new UFK in my pocket before going into the facility. I switched to my EDC2 because it’s better for this type of work.
Most of the other employees there know me pretty well. I’ve been fixing their equipment for the past 12 years. This girl is new. Nobody else seemed concerned.

ETA: this isn’t even really the type of work I do. I’m a commercial/industrial electrician. About twelve years ago I was installing a circuit and disconnect for a new piece of equipment this place was getting. They asked me to take a look at their convection oven. The fan wasn’t working. I replaced a capacitor on the fan motor - a $12 part. It’s still running today. What I didn’t know at the time was they already had two quotes. Both were to replace the motor for $800+.
They still get quotes from service companies when something isn’t working, then they call me.

Last edited:
That’s too cool!
It really is. It's a type of historical replica. Including the chinking. Which I am thanking the stars that I do not have to do!

That is one heck of a project :thumbsup:

It is. My foreman broke his finger between 2 beams. I split mine open the long way across my index finger when the other guy dropped his end, and kicked up a log on the bottom side. I was woozy for a couple minutes.

Portable beam saw. Cool :cool:
That saw is a early 1980's Rockwell. It has real steel frame, and a lot of horse power.

Damn near looks like fun!

Almost! It will get more fun as we look at it fondly in the rear view mirror. Each 6 x 8 log weighs about 200 lbs. The long ones and the 4 x 8 rafters at 20' long are more then that. It became dangerous as the day wears on, and guys get tired. then stuff can happen.

<<<snip>>>
Almost! It will get more fun as we look at it fondly in the rear view mirror. Each 6 x 8 log weighs about 200 lbs. The long ones and the 4 x 8 rafters at 20' long are more then that. It became dangerous as the day wears on, and guys get tired. then stuff can happen.

Yeah. That’s why I put the “damn near” qualifier in there.
I know enough to know it’s not “fun” while you’re building it. Somehow, the pride in the finished project makes you remember it as “fun” once it’s complete. Assuming no long term injuries are incurred!
Despite knowing it would be really hard work with the possibility of serious injury I’d sign on for a project like that just for the experience. Very cool!

It really is. It's a type of historical replica. Including the chinking. Which I am thanking the stars that I do not have to do!

It is. My foreman broke his finger between 2 beams. I split mine open the long way across my index finger when the other guy dropped his end, and kicked up a log on the bottom side. I was woozy for a couple minutes.

That saw is a early 1980's Rockwell. It has real steel frame, and a lot of horse power.

can't you get Jo and Nathan to sprinkle some magical dust on your CPKs and leave them over night and come back to a job completed?

Back