Random Thought Thread

Every time I read about one of these type of predatory crimes, it reminds me that some of these criminals can target vulnerable sheeple just like wolves smelling blood.

Plus, kids nowadays fight a lot less than when I was raised in the 70's. They don't know how to scrap, matter of fact, they don't even know how to handle a real physical threat for the most part. I'd bet 75% of millennials have never been in a fist fight in their entire lives.

In one regard that's a good thing-- it shows we're raising kids to be more kind and empathetic in general. But in the chance event that one of these "nice" kids/adults gets faced with a violent sociopath hell bent on destruction they're at a real disadvantage... it's like when the weasel got in the henhouse.

If you were raised in my neighborhood, in my era, we had radar for these kind of toughs and we knew how to sort em out, too.

I would agree a lot of the population aren’t aware of their surroundings till it’s too late. I think the generations have got worse since I’ve been around though. In the general sense. The world is a beautiful place , but so is the jungle. Yet both still have dangers present that need to be respected and prepared for. Sad but true.

Every time I read about one of these type of predatory crimes, it reminds me that some of these criminals can target vulnerable sheeple just like wolves smelling blood.

Plus, kids nowadays fight a lot less than when I was raised in the 70's. They don't know how to scrap, matter of fact, they don't even know how to handle a real physical threat for the most part. I'd bet 75% of millennials have never been in a fist fight in their entire lives.

In one regard that's a good thing-- it shows we're raising kids to be more kind and empathetic in general. But in the chance event that one of these "nice" kids/adults gets faced with a violent sociopath hell bent on destruction they're at a real disadvantage... it's like when the weasel got in the henhouse.

If you were raised in my neighborhood, in my era, we had radar for these kind of toughs and we knew how to sort em out, too.

As you said,

There appears to be a growing dichotomy of cultural mentalities. On the one hand, 'civilized society' seems to be making a progressive push towards EU type mentalities, where violence, even for self-defense is being discouraged and more importantly, mentalities and philosophies are being conditioned to view anything approaching violence, as distasteful and bad.

The push towards, "The authorities must handle it. Joe Average should just run, or hide and cower in the face of violence". The push to program the impressionable to be sheep.

On the flipside, are the mentalities with no qualms or compunctions about committing violent acts against others. When these 2 clash, the former is wholly unprepared to deal with the latter.

There is always a middle ground. Neither extreme is healthy.

Many decades ago, I came to the conclusion that there are some things that fall in the category of essential/critical knowledge/skills/abilities. These are things that every person needs to know beforehand, because if a situation arose requiring said knowledge/ability, it's too late to learn, and your life or someone else's could hang in the balance. Things like:
- situational awareness
- self-defense
- first aid
- how to swim

If any of those are ever desperately needed, a life potentially hangs in the balance.

Me and my wife have been section hiking the Appalachian Trail for a few years. I don’t know how much news coverage the recent attack/murder on the AT has gotten (I found no mention of it on BF), but I can’t believe how it all went down. There was repeated interaction between the nutjob and the people he attacked. I’m a bit stupefied. When we are out there we carry a big can of bear spray. Beyond that we have carbide tipped hiking poles. And of course, I have no less than three knives with me.
The part I’m having a problem with is how much slack these people gave him.
Don’t get me wrong - I’m not blaming the victims. I just can’t fathom being that tolerant.
The local authorities had been notified of the perp numerous times, including for making threats and attacking people with a shovel. They brought him in before, but charges weren't filed and he was released :(

Whaaat?! CPK sub-frumites are all very tough mofos who are at the very least a black belt, some even with rainbow stripes added to their belts. Some practice Krav Maga, some Kama Sutra but most have mastered both! We no sissies!

A wise man once said, "Set him on fire and kick him in the nuts." Ah...maybe it was the other way around. o_O

The local authorities had been notified of the perp numerous times, including for making threats and attacking people with a shovel. They brought him in before, but charges weren't filed and he was released :(
My wife checks in on some websites/Facebook pages pertaining to the Appalachian Trail. We saw it a month ago when this tool was arrested. My wife showed me his pic then and told me about him harassing and threatening hikers.
He wasn’t prosecuted because nobody he threatened showed up to press charges. Which makes sense because they were hikers - not from the area he was arrested in, and probably still out on the trail.
I’m not some “hothead” or a “highly trained” anything. But I’m pretty sure when he came into camp threatening to burn tents, things would have escalated quickly.
I’ve been in enough fights and sketchy situations to know things can go from uneasy to chaotic in a heartbeat.

ETA: One of the articles I read mentioned his mother died earlier this year. She was probably his caretaker - making sure he took his meds.

I remember back in the day when you could just go back behind the woodshed, beat the snot out of each other, shake hands and go grab a beer together afterwards. Those days are long, long gone now.

Not that I didn't or don't try to avoid fights ... but damn sometimes it just isn't realistic or possible and I've been in my fair share ... some stupid growing up bs ... some simply because some people feel the need to try to prove something so they get a few drinks in them and want to pick on the big guy in the place (never made sense to me but in their minds ...) evidentally it did ... at least until they did it ...

... and sadly today if you went behind the woodshed to fight ... you'd end up fighting 3 or 4 guys or one with a knife or some BS ... a fair fist fight doesn't exist in this day and age ...

hell dad bought boxing gloves and all us brothers if we had a fight dad grabbed us took us outside threw the gloves out and said figure it out ... I might have been 4 or 5 when that started and being the youngest until I grew up some (by about age 12) ... I got my ass whooped several times

dad always told us don't take shit from anyone ... and stand up for not only yourself but those that can't stand up for themselves ... mom tried to teach us to walk away ...

well I learned early on I was better at walking away if the shit was coming my way ... but I couldn't walk away when someone that couldn't defend themselves were in that spot ...

now this situation ... can't say for sure how I would have handled it I wasn't there ... but if I had people with me being threatened and a crazy like that came back after running him off once ... I can't say I would have had much self restraint ...

in this case ol Forest Gump would have found a real bitter tastin candy in his box that I doubt he would have much cared for.

Not that I didn't or don't try to avoid fights ... but damn sometimes it just isn't realistic or possible and I've been in my fair share ... some stupid growing up bs ... some simply because some people feel the need to try to prove something so they get a few drinks in them and want to pick on the big guy in the place (never made sense to me but in their minds ...) evidentally it did ... at least until they did it ...

... and sadly today if you went behind the woodshed to fight ... you'd end up fighting 3 or 4 guys or one with a knife or some BS ... a fair fist fight doesn't exist in this day and age ...

hell dad bought boxing gloves and all us brothers if we had a fight dad grabbed us took us outside threw the gloves out and said figure it out ... I might have been 4 or 5 when that started and being the youngest until I grew up some (by about age 12) ... I got my ass whooped several times

dad always told us don't take shit from anyone ... and stand up for not only yourself but those that can't stand up for themselves ... mom tried to teach us to walk away ...

well I learned early on I was better at walking away if the shit was coming my way ... but I couldn't walk away when someone that couldn't defend themselves were in that spot ...

now this situation ... can't say for sure how I would have handled it I wasn't there ... but if I had people with me being threatened and a crazy like that came back after running him off once ... I can't say I would have had much self restraint ...

in this case ol Forest Gump would have found a real bitter tastin candy in his box that I doubt he would have much cared for.
Walking away is usually the better option, when possible, but sometimes, it's not viable.

The thing is, that an ever growing number of people are gradually being programmed to believe that violence is never the answer. When they encounter a situation where avoidance isn't viable, their only other option is to cower and hide.

Loved ones should be taught how to defend themselves against an assailant. Even children can be taught the difference between restraint from verbal taunts etc. vs defending themselves when physically attacked.

I remember back in the day when you could just go back behind the woodshed, beat the snot out of each other, shake hands and go grab a beer together afterwards. Those days are long, long gone now.
Sad but true.

I wonder what changed in cultural mentalities, to cause this? As JJ mentioned, these days, it's rarely a fair 1-on-1. It's multiple on one, or armed vs unarmed.

Even with school age kids, there's the distinct possibility that if it was 1-on-1, the loser then chooses to come back at a later date with an overwhelming advantage (whether it's friends, a knife, gun, or blindside/ambush).

Walking away is usually the better option, when possible, but sometimes, it's not viable.

The thing is, that an ever growing number of people are gradually being programmed to believe that violence is never the answer. When they encounter a situation where avoidance isn't viable, their only other option is to cower and hide.

Loved ones should be taught how to defend themselves against an assailant. Even children can be taught the difference between restraint from verbal taunts etc. vs defending themselves when physically attacked.

True this!

Sad but true.

I wonder what changed in cultural mentalities, to cause this? As JJ mentioned, these days, it's rarely a fair 1-on-1. It's multiple on one, or armed vs unarmed.

Even with school age kids, there's the distinct possibility that if it was 1-on-1, the loser then chooses to come back at a later date with an overwhelming advantage (whether it's friends, a knife, gun, or blindside/ambush).

I've always taught my kids to always avoid confrontation if they could, but if they were backed into a corner with no way out, then they better fight! That's why we have 6 sets of gloves in the house, so my boys can duke it out and see what it feels like to get punched in the face and floater ribs. I have confidence that my boys can defend themselves against their own peers, probably kick their ass. Go out like a lion, not a lamb. lol

Back