Random Thought Thread

Sitting on the Back Porch enjoying the sights
ffOJmi7.jpg

Haha, that's such an English British quote which I don't or haven't heard much out here for the almost 30 years I've been here on the West. Do folks in the South use that quote a lot?
Probably a north eastern thing. My family is from northern PA and I hung on to a lot of it. Our children are the only ones in the state that say. “You guys”. LOL

Little edjumication.*

The phrase was originally expressed as 'no peace for the wicked' and refers to the eternal torment of Hell that awaited sinners. Not surprisingly, the it derives from the Bible - Isaiah 57.The expression was first printed in English in Miles Coverdale's Bible, 1535:

20: But the wicked are like the raginge see, that ca not rest, whose water fometh with the myre & grauel.
21 Eueso ye wicked haue no peace, saieth my God.

*Isn't great when you misspell a word so badly that autocorrect says, "I have nothing."?

Little edjumication.*

The phrase was originally expressed as 'no peace for the wicked' and refers to the eternal torment of Hell that awaited sinners. Not surprisingly, the it derives from the Bible - Isaiah 57.The expression was first printed in English in Miles Coverdale's Bible, 1535:

20: But the wicked are like the raginge see, that ca not rest, whose water fometh with the myre & grauel.
21 Eueso ye wicked haue no peace, saieth my God.

*Isn't great when you misspell a word so badly that autocorrect says, "I have nothing."?
This is my understanding as well. It was originally “No peace for the wicked” and “No rest for the weary”. I believe both are from the Bible but from different books of the Bible. I always thought “No rest for the wicked” was a kind of tongue in cheek twisting together of the two phrases.
I could be totally wrong.

I’m pretty sure UffDa had it right. “No peace for the wicked” is from the book of Isaiah.
I over simplified my statement above. “No rest for the weary” isn’t a direct phrase from the Bible but a play on the “No peace for the wicked” from Isaiah combined with a twisting of something from lamentations.
Lamentations says something to the effect of - they are at our heels, we are weary but find no rest. When people would quote the Isaiah “No peace for the wicked” a common response was “and no rest for the weary”. That’s how I always heard it anyhow.
I was raised Irish catholic and we have a lot of little twisted Bible things.
Like when we almost use the lords name in vain and then turn it into “Jesus, Mary and Joseph” instead of completing the “Jesus Christ!” we were about to say.
Or saying “God bless it” when we were about to say “God damn it!”

Last edited:
Yes, a person's upbringing can certainly steer one in a direction that changes later in life. Yet so many who change their beliefs still continue to utilize phrases such as god bless you when someone sneezes. We are, in that respect, then always under the influence of Pavlovian conditioning.
“God bless you” is necessary after a sneeze or the person who sneezed will inhale evil spirits and die of consumption or something equally as terrible.
It’s science! And everybody knows it.

Or possibly just a widely used courtesy.

“God bless you” is necessary after a sneeze or the person who sneezed will inhale evil spirits and die of consumption or something equally as terrible.
It’s science! And everybody knows it.

Or possibly just a widely used courtesy.

Wasn't it that the person who sneezed already had evil spirits inside and was casting them out?o_O

Or, instead of god bless you, the old standby "gesundheit", which in German means healthiness, or more correctly gesund means health and heit can be translated more easily as "state of". Ein lange zeit seit ich Deutsch gesprochen habe.

Germans are not the only ones that say "get healthy". Most (if not all) eastern Europe say it (in their respective languages); some also say something that would translate to "cheers" when someone sneezes ;)

C.

Back