Random Thought Thread

View attachment 752456 My brother sent me this photo from my Father's homestead in Wyoming where he is camped with friend's in anticipation of Monday's eclipse. This spot is dead center in the path of the eclipse. I am in awe of God's glory and to think this was my Father's nightly view as a child.

George, that's an amazing pic. Reminds me of the CW McCall song "Aurora Borealis". That song is made for night like that.

My son and nephew are camped in Wyoming currently also. They said that Yellowstone is filled to traffic jamb proportions with people there to see the eclipse. They are seeing hippie vans with flowers and astrological signs painted all over, restored army trucks with flip flops hanging from the mirrors, and lots of love and peace signs, as well as end of days terminology. Again a CW McCall song "Crispy Critters" comes to mind.

They never thought of this coincidence of the eclipse timing. They just are on their way to Montana to visit friends.

George, that's an amazing pic. Reminds me of the CW McCall song "Aurora Borealis". That song is made for night like that.

My son and nephew are camped in Wyoming currently also. They said that Yellowstone is filled to traffic jamb proportions with people there to see the eclipse. They are seeing hippie vans with flowers and astrological signs painted all over, restored army trucks with flip flops hanging from the mirrors, and lots of love and peace signs, as well as end of days terminology. Again a CW McCall song "Crispy Critters" comes to mind.

They never thought of this coincidence of the eclipse timing. They just are on their way to Montana to visit friends.
My brother recently retired from Redstone Arsenal ( rocket scientist=fulfilled his childhood dream of blowing sh** up), his wife is an elec. engineer at NASA (Marshall Space Flight Ctr). He took a bunch of folks they work with. They've been all geeked up in anticipation of this event for years.
We've got close to a 1000 acres out there. I told him he should put a sign out on the highway and rent camp sites. There is a biker bar/convenience store up the road that turned a tool shed into rentals for the eclipse.

Probably pretty close (performance wise-once the Coating on the Busse has been stripped) but the Carothers is the clear winner aesthetically IMO, Plus I am not a big fan of Res-c!-I much prefer TeroTuf if Canvas is not available:D:cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Probably pretty close (performance wise-once the Coating on the Busse has been stripped) but the Carothers is the clear winner aesthetically IMO, Plus I am not a big fan of Res-c!-I much prefer TeroTuf if Canvas is not available:D:cool::thumbsup:
I agree with the handle choices but Res-C does have some advantages compared to canvas etc and the Fluffer design.
For example:
No screws (cant come loose)
Insulated handle
Higher sheath retention
Finger/guard isn't just the thickness of the steel
Not porous (wont absorb blood and nasty stuff)

I agree with the handle choices but Res-C does have some advantages compared to canvas etc and the Fluffer design.
For example:
No screws (cant come loose)
Insulated handle
Higher sheath retention
Finger/guard isn't just the thickness of the steel
Not porous (wont absorb blood and nasty stuff)
There are no screws because you cannot clean underneath the Res-C-its coated-To be completely stripped and a satin finish applied the handles have be removed and replaced with completely new Res-C handles (not an advantage IMO)
Good Canvas does not absorb fluids
How does Res-C have higher Sheath Retention? I am asking
If you like a coated blade and Res-C that is what you should buy! If you prefer no coating (Resistance=Friction) and prefer Canvas or Linen, or TeroTuf handles that can be easily removed for Cleaning (or swapped out) , the choice (for me) is the HDFK
Nobody (not me anyway) is Bashing Busse! If the Busse Dog Soldier appeals to you-Buy it (That simple) As you know i have owned a lot of Busse's! I now prefer the Looks and options as well as the performance (D3V) offered on the HDFK, and Carother's Knives in general! My only regret is that I didn't buy 3!

There are no screws because you cannot clean underneath the Res-C-its coated-To be completely stripped and a satin finish applied the handles have be removed and replaced with completely new Res-C handles (not an advantage IMO)
If you like a coated blade and Res-C that is what you should buy! If you prefer no coating (Resistance=Friction) and prefer Canvas or Linen, or TeroTuf handles that can be easily removed for Cleaning (or swapped out) , the choice (for me) is the HDFK
Nobody (not me anyway) is Bashing Busse! If the Busse Dog Soldier appeals to you-Buy it (That simple) As you know i have owned a lot of Busse's! I now prefer the Looks and options as well as the performance (D3V) offered on the HDFK, and Carother's Knives in general! My only regret is that I didn't buy 3!

Is it really about good/bad? I figured it's more about the amount of resin/final finish(buffed/unbuffed). Either way, I agree.. even burlap micarta should be fine for hygiene as long as the resin sealed well.

1) Why would you want to strip and clean underneath a Res-C handle? lol. There is no need to clean there because nothing can get under it anyway. And that wasn't the point I was making. I was saying that after extensive use (something you don't know about :D), the screws will of course, loosen. You don't need to have a torx screw driver with you to tighten (or remove) them (thinking along the lines of SHTF)

2) Every canvas absords fluids, it's a porous material. Nathan's does absorb fluids, I know from first hand experience.

3) Sheath retention (kydex) is not on the blade itself, it's on the handle. Haven't you ever had a Res-C knife with a Kydex sheath? It's a motherf$$$er to pull out. I guess the two materials don't like each other much, because there is a lot of tension needed to remove the knife. (it will NOT fall out upside down with any half decent sheath)

4) well, I'm not sure what your forth point is. If you are saying people should buy what they like, I agree, and I never said otherwise

P.S no body said or implied anything about bashing Busse or anyone. I dunno why you even said that

Is it really about good/bad? I figured it's more about the amount of resin/final finish(buffed/unbuffed). Either way, I agree.. even burlap micarta should be fine for hygiene as long as the resin sealed well.
All canvas absorbs fluids. It's a porous material, that's the bottom line

All canvas absorbs fluids. It's a porous material, that's the bottom line
As the canvas absorbs the resin, and the layers are compressed to form micarta, it becomes more of a plastic. It's less about the canvas, and more about the resin penetration and compression. The process is similar to stabilizing wood.

Unless we're not talking about micarta. I've you're talking about wrapping a knife tang in canvas.. it will probably get pretty gross.

As the canvas absorbs the resin, and the layers are compressed to form micarta, it becomes more of a plastic. It's less about the canvas, and more about the resin penetration and compression. The process is similar to stabilizing wood.

Unless we're not talking about micarta. I've you're talking about wrapping a knife tang in canvas.. it will probably get pretty gross.
I'm talking about Micarta, I just called it canvas. I meant Micarta. All of it will absorb fluids. It's porous.

(if i'm wrong show me some that doesn't absorb fluids, i'd legitimately like to see it because as I said earlier in the thread, I agree with Tommy and prefer Micarta over plastic/Res-C etc)

That's linen Micarta though, not canvas Micarta. I have no experience with it and wasn't talking about it

(not being rude at all but you can't really tell in those low light photos anyway)

Some people like coated Blades and some don't! Some people like Res-C, and some people don't! That's why there are so many options available from skilled knife-makers! The only regret I Have is that I didn't get 1 more of those damned CAROTHERS HDFK's! Oh well, "Live and Learn"

Last edited:
Looks like the Dog Soldier is for you Bacon-Congrats, Some people like coated Blades and some don't! Some people like Res-C, and some people don't! That's why there are so many options available from skilled knife-makers! I have owned over 100 Busse knives and in general have liked them (and still do) but as stated above now prefer to spend the vast majority of my money here on this forum (Carother's)! The only regret I Have is that I didn't get 1 more of those damned HDFK's! Oh well, "Live and Learn"
The Fluffer is "for me" too. Idk what you are trying to say, and I mean that with respect Tommy! I'm getting both!

Back