Random Thought Thread

Just for my own piece of mind... how do you know when you "own enough of them"? I have a real issue with these big amazing knives... The're like an open bag of Cheetos when you're driving down the road.

So a quick review and I’ll add my own:

1. At about 25 there is a tendency to thunk: "Hmm..”

2. Certainly don’t go by “my cutting needs are met.”

3. No more room in all your dresser drawers for clothes...

4. #1 should be: consult with knife hero, @Mike157

5. No more space on Interior or Exterior walls.

...aaand, really should have been #1: consult with my knife hero, Mike157 Mike157 .
I defer to Mike in all things “enough.” :)

Thanks for that insight Mike. Lol That’s one of the questions I’ve been meaning to ask you...the storage thing.

Ha! Much too kind, Mark! Be very careful, lest you contract the incurable form of this disease.:D

It started out with a few knives on my dresser top. It moved to filling up any space in my dresser with knives (and still the clothes). Get rid of any clothes in the drawers that aren’t worn, to make more room for knives. Clear out a corner of the bedroom for a full height Gerstner style machinist chest. Transfer all knives to chest. Slowly fill up dresser again. Make sure all favorites are in machinist’s chest, begin carefully, very carefully, transferring knives from dresser into rubber maid style tubs. Repeat numerous times.

Build a new room solely for knives? Don’t think that will fly with the family.:rolleyes:

I really would like to drastically thin down the collection. Just have to start the process. For the most part, the CPK’s will stay with me until the end :D.

There, my innermost secrets and weaknesses confessed. Mike

^ I'm an ordained minister (all self-thought too!). I can marry people and I can accept their confessions (bless you my child) plus I will accept their surplus knives for a charity o their my choosing! :D

A generous offer, Matty! Though, I think, an exorcism my be more of what’s needed. This “issue” has been going on since I was eight years old and given my first two pocket knives by the next door neighbor whose lawn I mowed. I also place the blame squarely in Matt Gregory’s lap for greatly expanding my knife world, and also the Internet for making it too easy to access just about anything in the world. And just in case, if anyone has an old, worthless, vintage, Loveless knife that they haven’t got a clue about the value of, I’d be interested.:D I’d love to have just one of those.

As I write this, I’m accompanied by my freshly delivered (a couple of days ago) Behemother with rubber inlayed scales. Such a beautiful example of pretty much the ultimate, in every respect, of what a large knife can be. Mike

A generous offer, Matty! Though, I think, an exorcism my be more of what’s needed. This “issue” has been going on since I was eight years old and given my first two pocket knives by the next door neighbor whose lawn I mowed. I also place the blame squarely in Matt Gregory’s lap for greatly expanding my knife world, and also the Internet for making it too easy to access just about anything in the world. And just in case, if anyone has an old, worthless, vintage, Loveless knife that they haven’t got a clue about the value of, I’d be interested.:D I’d love to have just one of those.

As I write this, I’m accompanied by my freshly delivered (a couple of days ago) Behemother with rubber inlayed scales. Such a beautiful example of pretty much the ultimate, in every respect, of what a large knife can be. Mike

I have a strong inkling that my Beegeemujjer will be the very last one outta CPK's doors. I added so much shyte to that one which isn't even funny, but then again you already knew that ;)

I also have a great feeling that Nathan is going to truly WOW-WOW me with that one, like adding and enclosing a harp playing mini-angel inside the box with my BC'er :D

I have a strong inkling that my Beegeemujjer will be the very last one outta CPK's doors. I added so much shyte to that one which isn't even funny, but then again you already knew that ;)

I also have a great feeling that Nathan is going to truly WOW-WOW me with that one, like adding and enclosing a harp playing mini-angel inside the box with my BC'er :D

Can’t wait to see this one. I’m sure it will be gorgeous - especially with that mirror polished aluminum blade and metal shavings embedded (for grip), laminated Fudgsicle stick scales.:D Mike

Alright I just google found this tasty tidbit

Fudgesicle. The fudgesicle was invented in 1928 by biologist Kent Prussing studying human feces at Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Prussing was studying human feces when an idea hit him. He had been storing specimens in small flat sticks, much like a popsicle.

edit- source is “uncyclopedia”

Mike157 Mike157 see, this is a great discussion! These are real problems for hoarders collectors to work through. ;)

Do you display many pieces? Swords/Waks maybe? I have mixed feelings on that subject from a strategic perspective. I don’t like the thought of an intruder having easy access to sharp objects. Who am I kidding. It’s really all about angry wives.

But it’s really a shame to have these wonderful pieces of art squirreled away in the shadows.

Mike157 Mike157 see, this is a great discussion! These are real problems for hoarders collectors to work through. ;)

Do you display many pieces? Swords/Waks maybe? I have mixed feelings on that subject from a strategic perspective. I don’t like the thought of an intruder having easy access to sharp objects. Who am I kidding. It’s really all about angry wives.

But it’s really a shame to have these wonderful pieces of art squirreled away in the shadows.

Ah yes, the display/wife issue. My wife in no way shares my enthusiasm for knives. She much prefers to not have them on display. It’s a tough one for me. I would like to have a few of my favorite pieces on display and rotate through them periodically. I have settled for a few fine bokken from Shinbudo Weapons and two Japanese style blades (a Walter Sorrells wakizashi and Sammy’s (madacienceforge) titanium katana), displayed together on the open shelf of a cabinet/bookshelf in the living room. The Japanese style blades are in the plain wooden scabbards, so they don’t appear threatening. I suppose I could sneak another knife in there once in awhile. But then again, I’m such a recluse that very few would see them anyway.:D

As far as worrying about an intruder grabbing a knife on display, I figure that I would just grab a bigger one, like very sharp, solid, nasty spear. :D Mike

Ah yes, the display/wife issue. My wife in no way shares my enthusiasm for knives. She much prefers to not have them on display. It’s a tough one for me. I would like to have a few of my favorite pieces on display and rotate through them periodically. I have settled for a few fine bokken from Shinbudo Weapons and two Japanese style blades (a Walter Sorrells wakizashi and Sammy’s (madacienceforge) titanium katana), displayed together on the open shelf of a cabinet/bookshelf in the living room. The Japanese style blades are in the plain wooden scabbards, so they don’t appear threatening. I suppose I could sneak another knife in there once in awhile. But then again, I’m such a recluse that very few would see them anyway.:D

As far as worrying about an intruder grabbing a knife on display, I figure that I would just grab a bigger one, like very sharp, solid, nasty spear. :D Mike
Walter Sorrells? NICE! That would be a nice blade to coat with some protectant and display it with the blade visible, preferably with a light angled just right to make the hamon visible.

Kept missing out on one of his blades (was really looking for one of his katanas).

Walter Sorrells? NICE! That would be a nice blade to coat with some protectant and display it with the blade visible, preferably with a light angled just right to make the hamon visible.

Kept missing out on one of his blades (was really looking for one of his katanas).

Agreed, about the display!

I think that Walter does take orders from time to time. That is how mine came to be. Just caught him at the right time. Might be worth a try, contacting him. Mike

Agreed, about the display!

I think that Walter does take orders from time to time. That is how mine came to be. Just caught him at the right time. Might be worth a try, contacting him. Mike
The last time I checked some years back, the projection for commissioning a katana was 2-3 years out.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you acquire your waki? I've seen him list his wakis from time to time, but I haven't seen him list one of his own katanas for sale in years (the only katanas I've seen him list, weren't made by him).

Back