Random Thought Thread

Your iMacs are wholly different animals. They're computers, not mobile devices, and not what is being discussed for this purpose.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, I would not recommend updating to iOS 13.2. It has some serious bugs, it will likely be patched pretty quickly with all the bad press they're receiving. Generally, I do recommend waiting to install any Apple iOS update on a mobile device for at least a week or two after release, for this very reason that has mud in Apple's face right now.

I would definitely NOT recommend foregoing any future software update! Lol! Just wait awhile before installing any, if there are problems (like 13.2 has), they will get sorted before you install. I have been doing this with Apple phones and iPads for ~8 years without issue. It's what the smart folks recommend doing. Ignore the Apple fanbois and don't immediately update!

Correct. Both iMacs were mid-2011 models, one 27" and the other 21.5". I really liked them but the update after High Sierra which I believe was Mojave killed them both. They were retroacted to Sierra by the Genius Bar but the buggers went on a self update spree after a couple. The 27" model also had some inherent issues which Apple had fixed under recall (graphic card issue).

I updated to the latest iOS on my iPhone XS and the OS on my MacBook Pro is Catalina 10.5 and lemme tell you that the photo migration orientation is buggy but above my pay grade. Also have a very old iPad 3, now a Dog-Pad which plays soothing music for the dog when she all alone inside and I'm not home. No issues there either, LOL!

I'm far from an Apple fanboi, but I do generally prefer their mobile devices over the Android options. They're far from a perfect company, but they make good hardware that seems to last well. Just don't jump on the most recent update right away and things usually work pretty well.

iPhone 11 Pro for the win and drunken picture
opuBfRO.jpg

Sort of. Battery life becomes a major issue after 4-5 years anyway, nature of the Li-ion chemistry.
Bit of a difference between the MTBF of the hardware, vs an update that bricks the device or causes it to suddenly bog down and run waaaaayyyy slower, while taking their sweet time to fix the issue so customers are encouraged to ditch their older phones for the new shiny.

I finally had to update to a new phone ... had the S5 for 8 years ... only upgraded because it went wonky ...

got a Galaxy S10 ... now I didn't pay this price but a damn cell phone listed at #1499.00?!? WTH? ... that's 5 times what I paid for my first car ...

and who is the genious that thought "hey lets make it sealed so you can't buy a new battery ... and lets make it completely glass ... that should ensure they buy new phones fast???!!@) ...

it does everything great except make phone calls ... it works but my old phones had much better call interfaces and sound and many more options.

I wanted to get a simple ringtone and downloaded one ... it made the phone go too speaker when I answered it ... so removed that ringtone ... one app I actually use a bit I downloaded ... it made the phone not ring but go to voicemail and I had to remove it ...

But from talking to people with different new phones it sounds they have all went the way of better cameras, social media, new apps and tech over phone call performance.

I think I'll go back to a corded rotary home phone ... and wait until I get home to make calls ... wonder how many people will put a BOLO out on me thinking I'm missing?

I do not trust any of the fascist data miners especially Apple. They are getting away with monopolizing and monetizing and egregious privacy violations that would never have been cnsidered possible 10 years ago. There isn't much choice but to use them and we will all rue the day they got so much p-ower and secrecy. Basic functionality and compatibility are constantly sacrificed with updates aimed at their increasing corporate intrusion and control. I don't trust it and neither should anyone else. I turn off most of the bells and whistles and the updates are designed to render that impossible.

Since we are drifting this direction....

At my company we are making a bitcoin miner enclosure (stand alone e-house with nothing but racks of bitcoin miners, cooling system and power distribution/switchboards).

(Edit to say we are only making the enclosure for a customer.... it's their big idea.)

So this is what we have come to - the age of machines is here!

We will use people to engineer and build a bigger box with more machines, using actual resources (steel, copper, electrical energy and manual labor). This machine will be turned on and consume more actual energy to generate a virtual bit of money.

I don't know much about it, but a bitcoin miner is a super fast computer running a single algorithm to go mint virtual coins out of another computer running a similar algorithm creating a problem to be solved. So the two computers are doing battle and virtual money is made....

I do not use this kind of language often, but I think, "what the actual f#@k have we come to?!?"

Edited again... what say we all get out our d3V CPK, saddle up and go full on Neanderthal on the machines?

Last edited:
Bad news: even the vaunted and often indomitable D3V can not “neanderthalize” machines because it is made by a very smart human using machinery!

If you happen to believe in the sciences of evolution, anthropology and archeology, you will know or discover that a handful of human-like species had coexisted at some concurrent points in the past. Also the modern human aka homo-sapiens have proven to be very extreme and intensive on their environments which most likely led to the demise of their lesser “sapien” cousins in addition to many other species!

Since these nifty new machines are created by us and most likely in our own image but without the lizard brain part, the most likely outcome in the future, barring some other major calamity, will be advantage machines or some form of hybrid bio-mechanical entities.

I’ll be long dead by then, and buried with my CPKs just in case :D

UFC non-title fight tonight. Nate Diaz, being humorous, mentioned this was for the bad Mf’er title. Dana White went ahead and made a belt for it. Of course this made me think of another Nathan. ;)

EIUCktSXsAE1KxV.jpg

I suspect that the Carothers "Nate" would really like to keep all the crucial neurons and the synapses of his, inside that ~3 lb. spongy material within his dome, all intact for as long as possible. Getting a BMF moniker that way and chancing to eat through paper-straws later in life, is no fun.

OTOH: I've seen the Diaz bros fight and they're just truly fearless. Mr. Big Mouth Connor McGregor got his arse handed to him by Nate Diaz who is supposedly a vegan!

Lastly, I'd bet that Gusbuster would luv to buy that belt ^ :D

Back