Random Thought Thread

I would imagine you've heard of the saying, "Too much of a good thing..."?

Well, too much water over time caused me to be hospitalized for hyponatremia, in for two days on a saline drip to re-establish the proper balance after becoming dangerously oversaturated on water. That was only five months ago.

that is definitely a cautionary tale! Thanks Bob. Glad you came
Back from that! Mike

What were the circumstances? Hyponatremia is uncommon enough that it generally takes more than simply drinking too much water for it to occur.
Yeah pretty uncommon and usually only hear about it from endurance athletes but that is why I make sure to get sodium in my diet. I never salt anything so I usually have to force it into my daily intake. Id be interested to know the circumstances. Glad you are better I have a friend who got it during a 100k run and it sounds really rough.

I would imagine you've heard of the saying, "Too much of a good thing..."?

Well, too much water over time caused me to be hospitalized for hyponatremia, in for two days on a saline drip to re-establish the proper balance after becoming dangerously oversaturated on water. That was only five months ago.
I experienced something similar when I was pregnant. It’s not often your doctor tells you to back off the water and eat more salt. Irregular heartbeat is scary.

My dad always taught me to “watch where you step.” But he didn’t say ...AT THE BEACH!!

luWsDA6.mp4

Back in my teens, when I took an interest in bicycle racing, that was one of the things I learned about, i.e. you lose both water AND sodium from all the sweating. You need to replenish both.

One of the saddest cases of Hyponatremia I can recall hearing of was this one:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

Numerous folks called the station up to tell them that it was not just a bad idea, but dangerous, and they ignored all the warnings :(

I've tried, really have tired but can't force myself to drink water willy-nilly unless I'm actually thirsty / parched. I know and also believe of the benefits of drinking plain ol' water specially in the morning pre coffee & breakfast so what I'm doing is drinking about 16 fl.oz of room temp water with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice (Meyer lemons are preferred). The rest of the day, maybe 2 x 16 fl.oz of carbonated/sparkling water with meals. Seriously anything over that, I'd be forcing myself and hating it! The rest of the water consumption comes from 3 x full Carothers Mugs of coffee during the day :)

Have given up drinking alci, no spirits, wine or beer, the whole shebang! So no more "dehydration" from those kinda sources :D

Have gout, so I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day to flush out the uric acid (am also on allopurinol). After having a coffee first thing in the morning, with all the water I end up going to the bathroom about every half-hour for the first half of the day!

My fridge water dispenser stopped working after you guys started this water talk. Anyway, I just found out about this Wilhelm scream thing today.
The best thing to do is get rid of it.
More than 50% of my old water damage jobs were caused by leaking water supply lines or filters on fridges.

Those filters are a petri dish of nastiness also.

More than 50% of my old water damage jobs were caused by leaking water supply lines or filters on fridges.

Man I got this fridge mostly because of the super rad water dispenser, it’s only a couple years old. This is the reason I don’t have water bottles for cutting though. My wife seems upset at me for not fixing it already or yelling at someone about it on the phone. TGIF
zxWvewX.jpg

People can't believe our fridge doesn't have an ice maker/water dispenser, but everyone I talk to that has had one has had a leak at some point. Brita pitcher and ice cube trays work just fine.

Back when I was power lifting I would choke down a gallon of water a day. It got tiresome. There were times when right before bed I'd have about two fingers at he the bottom of my gallon jug to finish up.

I should start powerlifting again.
Yeah, any kind of physical training/activity will condition you to drink quite a lot of water/fluids.

That's how my day starts, I wake up, chug 10-16 oz of water. Wake up/warm up for about 20 minutes, then start lifting. Small sips of water while working out. Protein shake after the workout.

As I'm doing my food prep for the day, I'll usually down another 1-2 10 oz glasses of water. Jump in the shower, then eat my first meal with another 16-20 oz of water, before I fill the gallon jug and head out.

The routine helps.

Man I got this fridge mostly because of the super rad water dispenser, it’s only a couple years old. This is the reason I don’t have water bottles for cutting though. My wife seems upset at me for not fixing it already or yelling at someone about it on the phone. TGIF
zxWvewX.jpg
I think you’ll be fine as long as you can keep an eye on the supply line and shut off valve. Fresh filters are a must also unless your tap water is fairly decent.

I used to check mine by wiping a recycled brown napkin around those areas because any wet spots will show easily.

People can't believe our fridge doesn't have an ice maker/water dispenser, but everyone I talk to that has had one has had a leak at some point. Brita pitcher and ice cube trays work just fine.
I wish I would’ve kept photos from some of the old jobs my company did.
Small leaks typically caused the most damage because it gave the mold a longer incubation period.

Back