Random Thought Thread

^ They don't call him "chip" for nuthin Mat.

True story time...had this long white box show up recently I had forgotten about. Walked in the house, saw the...WHITE BOX!!!...my heart jumped a little with excitement...and then I realized it was actually the santoku I ordered for my mom for Christmas. :( I'm tired of sharpening the crap knives she's lived with all her life.

Post script: the shop owner I ordered this from got his mom the same knife last year. Said it changed her life. She sent him a video clip of herself dropping off her crap knives at Goodwill! lol

Last edited:
Yeah. If you go to a dinosaur display and see a real live dinosaur it's probably not a real dinosaur

^ I think those are probably fake

You can tell. See how the one is wearing shoes? Real dinosaurs don't wear shoes.

Yeah. If you go to a dinosaur display and see a real live dinosaur it's probably not a real dinosaur

^ I think those are probably fake

You can tell. See how the one is wearing shoes? Real dinosaurs don't wear shoes.

Of course they didn’t wear shoes silly! Back in their days the biggest mammals were the size of a rat. Imagine how laborious it’d be for a cobbler to make dinosaur size shoes!

People can't believe our fridge doesn't have an ice maker/water dispenser, but everyone I talk to that has had one has had a leak at some point. Brita pitcher and ice cube trays work just fine.

I need to check in more often. I am 3 or 4 pages behind.

When our old refrigerator died, we had to look hard to find one that didn't have an ice maker. IMHO, they just take up room in the freezer.

RE: Water. That thing about drinking 1/2 gallon a day is one of the most persistent myths. What amazes me is that medical professionals have bought into it without knowing where is came from.
There are two sources for this myth.
Many scientists believe that the source of this myth was a 1945 Food and Nutrition Board recommendation that said people need about 2.5 liters of water a day. But they ignored the sentence that followed closely behind. It read, “Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.” Another was from a 1946 conference of sports physiologists that said that an average person needs 1ml of water for every calorie of food. The average diet at that time was 2000 calories, so that equates to 2 liters of water. Again, the next sentence about most of that water coming from food is ignored.

It's true that coffee and tea are diuretic, but the body can compensate for that. It is also true that in dry climates you may need more water. Everyone is different. I read that in Afghanistan in the summer some people couldn't drink enough water to stay hydrated and required IVs. True? I don't know.

vQ6eEDh.jpg

Looks like I have an HDFK on the way with AECM scales:thumbsup: Found it on eBay and probably paid too much, but oh well. So now I'll need to find some other scales to put back on it for resale, cuz I want to keep the black micarta set too.

It looked like it got left on all night is all. Takes a while for the wax to get right again.
Naw, I'd been running it all shift (12 hours) the last few nights just to see if it would overheat...with the 25 watt bulb and the control room A/C it never even got close to over heating. Something definitely happened yesterday but nobody is fessing up (the dented cap was kind of a giveaway too).

Naw, I'd been running it all shift (12 hours) the last few nights just to see if it would overheat...with the 25 watt bulb and the control room A/C it never even got close to over heating. Something definitely happened yesterday but nobody is fessing up (the dented cap was kind of a giveaway too).
If I owned that it would be in a vault, under glass with lasers all around.

Oh yeah, if that dent was new it definitely got dropped. I remember they would get those wax pillar things if left on all night, or maybe all weekend, and the wax would be sucky after that for a while. Never dropped one. That’s a quality lamp!

I read that in Afghanistan in the summer some people couldn't drink enough water to stay hydrated and required IVs. True? I don't know.

During my time in the Middle East when we were new and in full kit outside all day there were definitely some IVs at the end of the day. By the end of my year I was fine. Even one day when it hit 133 degrees.

Back