Random Thought Thread

Oh man you guys are a trip. That's just a DEF that didn't make it.

my random thought for the day. I genuinely enjoy and appreciate late 20th century Japanese engineering and manufacturing. it is a joy to work on these things, they're both simple yet fantastically refined.

Nothing in this world is ever final—no one ever ends—we keep on bouncing back and forth in time, we go on and on ad infinitum.
View attachment 1274505

I like this point of yours. I think it is a well-accepted fact that three dimensional entities like us don't perceive time in its entirety. To us it's linear and moves in one direction, but basic physics and math tells us that in reality it's not. The beauty of this of course is that anyone who has ever lived will have always have lived. And in a way that's immortality. If you were ever born and breathed, that is a point in the space-time Continuum that is permanent.

I sort of watched the news last night. The breathless talking head said that face masks have sold out in many areas. The CDC says not to bother. A face mask will not protect you from the Coronavirus.

images
A study conducted by NIOSH in 1996 using 25 subjects wearing N-95 respirators found that geometric mean exposures to airborne particles were 25% of ambient levels before quantitative fit-testing, which does not meet the required 10% level set by NIOSH. However, after fit-testing, geometric mean exposures were reduced to 4% of ambient levels.

Two studies looked at the effectiveness of specific PPE against SARS. Seto and colleagues showed that wearing any mask was protective against SARS in a case–control study of 13 HCWs who developed SARS and 241 controls who did not.47 Regularly wearing gowns was protective in univariate analyses, but only mask (surgical or N-95) use was significant in the multivariate analysis. The conclusions from this study must be viewed with caution because of the small number of cases and because the study excluded HCWs from one hospital with a large outbreak where exposure to aerosolizing procedures was likely.

In another study, Loeb et al. constructed a retrospective cohort of 43 intensive-care unit nurses from Toronto.49 Eight of the 32 nurses who had direct contact with a patient with SARS subsequently developed SARS themselves. Regular use of N-95 respirators and surgical masks was associated with protection from SARS when compared with irregular or no mask or respirator use (Table 2). There was a trend toward increased protection from the N-95 respirators in comparison with surgical masks, but this was not statistically significant. Again, the number of cases limited the power of this study.

You guys need a break from the dull and depressing discussion!

My therapy lately is joining the "new" axe throwing phenomenon growing all over the country! And then customizing our axes.

I know, I know... no one here cares about axes, and such. But just on the off chance it gives someone a happy thought?

fRb7tS9.jpg

we have our own 2 lane official throwing venue at out place....
SFAuEcs.jpg

and my favorite.... a matching set for a special lady! I bet no one else has a matching set in their hunting pack!
qwwcTJ3.jpg

29B82C3D-A3BF-42CC-9E43-9FF5057AF977.jpeg

Looks like a lot of fun to me! Those are some fine looking axes. The matching knife/axe handles look great.

Though I do need the side of a barn as a target to hit something, I just received these from David Lisch, so not actually throwing axes, but hawks. Rasps, with a piece of high carbon steel sandwiched in. Pretty darn enjoyable. Mike

View attachment 1274587

Looks like a lot of fun to me! Those are some fine looking axes. The matching knife/axe handles look great.

Though I do need the side of a barn as a target to hit something, I just received these from David Lisch, so not actually throwing axes, but hawks. Rasps, with a piece of high carbon steel sandwiched in. Pretty darn enjoyable. Mike
woooowwww I have not seen those. Very, very nice!

if those were made by Dave, they were made to throw

woooowwww I have not seen those. Very, very nice!

Lorien, I should have said throwing hawks. Yes, definitely meant to throw. You have to give me a break once in a while, English is my first language.:p

Thank you, Brian. Much appreciated. They are fun.

Mike

View attachment 1274587

Those look beautiful. So simple yet very purpose driven. How was the wait on those hawks, did you have input on construction?;):)

You guys need a break from the dull and depressing discussion!

My therapy lately is joining the "new" axe throwing phenomenon growing all over the country! And then customizing our axes.

I know, I know... no one here cares about axes, and such. But just on the off chance it gives someone a happy thought?

fRb7tS9.jpg

we have our own 2 lane official throwing venue at out place....
SFAuEcs.jpg

and my favorite.... a matching set for a special lady! I bet no one else has a matching set in their hunting pack!
qwwcTJ3.jpg
Boy the polish on those is stunning, did you take the time to do that? The matched set isn’t bad either.

I've had these Kershaw hatchets for years, leftover from the days I had an online cutlery store. Finally busted em out to find out if they throw any good. They are awesome!

0uFtCVS.jpg

throwing axes is much easier than throwing knives, and at least as much fun

Those look beautiful. So simple yet very purpose driven. How was the wait on those hawks, did you have input on construction?;):)

Thank you! David posted some WIP photos on Instagram. He made a set of ten. I asked if any were available and was able to get two. Dave said, “if you’re going to throw hawks, you have to have two.”

He’s making a “hawk golf” course (similar to frisbee golf, only with hawk targets) on his ranch.

I took them as was made and David shipped them within a day or so of finishing them. Mike

Thank you! David posted some WIP photos on Instagram. He made a set of ten. I asked if any were available and was able to get two. Dave said, “if you’re going to throw hawks, you have to have two.”

He’s making a “hawk golf” course (similar to frisbee golf, only with hawk targets) on his ranch.

I took them as was made and David shipped them within a day or so of finishing them. Mike
Is there going to be a sign that says, "Don't run with scissors! Run with axes!":p

Back