Random Thought Thread

Say hello to my little friend. Stopped by tonight looking for some grub.:D
NXT8LUh.jpg

I was thinking about going to our Costco this week. Maybe I'll wait awhile. Safeway is still no problem. I took another TP inventory. I have 39 rolls. The last time I counted them, I forgot about the rolls under the sinks. :D I'm rich!

Costco_lines_7639_t715.jpg

That Costco line pic which Lorien posted a bit earlier, begs a couple of questions:

- I wonder what that lady in the front looks like?

- Why is Joe Biden standing in a Costco line somewhere in BC?!

- she looked really pissed off when, after 1/2 hour in line, an ole lady totally jumped the line and just budded right in front of her. She looked at me with a super pissed expression, and I have a mask and a hat on so I'm barely a face, so I shrugged and said "it's a pandemic, whatcha gonna do?"

- Joe who?

I was thinking about going to our Costco this week. Maybe I'll wait awhile. Safeway is still no problem. I took another TP inventory. I have 39 rolls. The last time I counted them, I forgot about the rolls under the sinks. :D I'm rich!

Costco_lines_7639_t715.jpg
Does NOT look like 6' to me. Then again, if you can watch the video I posted last night, you'd realize 6' probably isn't enough anyway.

BTW, I don't remember if this was posted here

That is an informative and interesting video. It really does drive home the need to keep one’s distance and not to be in areas with people and stagnant air flow. Thanks, bluemax_1.

Not saying they should not be worn while out in public, but I wonder how much protection the home made cloth masks offer to that level of micro particle contamination. We could be walking through clouds of those micro particles in a grocery store- even if it’s just from people talking loud, as the video points out. I would hope that the cloth masks, at least, limit the spewing part of it, a bit. Mike

- she looked really pissed off when, after 1/2 hour in line, an ole lady totally jumped the line and just budded right in front of her. She looked at me with a super pissed expression, and I have a mask and a hat on so I'm barely a face, so I shrugged and said "it's a pandemic, whatcha gonna do?"

- Joe who?

Thanks for totally killing a fantasy :p

That is an informative and interesting video. It really does drive home the need to keep one’s distance and not to be in areas with people and stagnant air flow. Thanks, bluemax_1.

Not saying they should not be worn while out in public, but I wonder how much protection the home made cloth masks offer to that level of micro particle contamination. We could be walking through clouds of those micro particles in a grocery store- even if it’s just from people talking loud, as the video points out. I would hope that the cloth masks, at least, limit the spewing part of it, a bit. Mike
I posted earlier in the thread, that viral load plays a significant role in whether a specific individual gets a mild or severe case from infection.

If EVERY single person out and about wore a facial covering (whether it's one of the impossible to find N95s, a paper surgical mask, shop half face respirator or even a thick cotton t-shirt wrapped around their face), it would greatly decrease the rate of transmission.

This happens from several ways:
1) it reduces the amount of aerosolized virus spewed by an infected person
2) while a t-shirt, bandanna or scarf may not filter as well as an N95 or N100/P100 respirators, it will still filter a percentage of inhaled particles, reducing the viral load from exposure to an infected person, which could mean the difference between getting something akin to a bad cold vs needing hospitalization.
3) the other common method of infection is from contact with fomites (virus on contaminated surfaces), and transferring them to mucus membrane through face contact. The facial covering inhibits touching your mouth and nose. Be aware that the virus can also enter through the eyes, so be careful of touching/scratching your eyes.

I understand why the administration initially told people, "You don't need masks. They don't help. Don't buy them. Our HCWs need them", but I don't agree with it, or the way they presented it.

They should have simply stated, "We need the N95 masks for our HCWs, but everyone going out in public should wear a facial covering. You can use a towel, t-shirt, pillowcase etc.". It could have greatly reduced the rate of transmission from inhalation and contact.

If you don't have any dust masks, shop respirators, N95s etc.

Mask-Materials-Effectiveness-1-Micron-EN-768x558.jpg Mask-Materials-Effectiveness-0.02-Microns-EN-768x592.jpg

P.S.
2 materials that actually filter micro-droplets quite well:

- 2 layers of the standard blue mechanics shop towels

- synthetic material with high electrostatic properties (which is why you see the big difference above between 100% cotton vs cotton blend t-shirts for filtering 0.02 micron particles). If the shirt/pillowcase/whatever clings like velcro to you when you remove it from a dryer without using dryer sheets/softener, micro particles will stick to it well. Hmmm... Swiffer duster outer layer?

Last edited:
Thanks again, Bluemax_1. More great information. Seems like making a mask out of a dish towel, cotton blend t-shirt, or blue shop towels might be a good way to go. Is it mostly because of the thickness and density that the dish towels and shop towels are fairly effective? Mike

Thanks again, Bluemax_1. More great information. Seems like making a mask out of a dish towel, cotton blend t-shirt, or blue shop towels might be a good way to go. Is it mostly because of the thickness and density that the dish towels and shop towels are fairly effective? Mike
The blue shop towels are thick AND have a very dense weave. Hold up a paper towel to bright light vs a blue shop towel and you can see the clear difference. IIRC, there's a test that showed 2 layers of blue shop towels being pretty close to N95 filtration.

I'd be more wary of the dish towels, as those are all over the place. I've seen dish towels with a weave loose enough, I wouldn't even use them to filter dust/sand/pollen, much less micro droplets.

As for t-shirts, shirts, pillowcases or any fabric; as mentioned, something thicker, tighter weave and synthetic/synthetic blend is optimal. Synthetics tend to hold much more of an electrostatic charge, which is actually the mechanism for 3M's filtration for the smallest particle sizes.

Again, no idea on testing but simply spitballing: using a cotton blend t-shirt and sticking a Swiffer duster insert over the front could be very effective. Those things are made specifically for maximum electrostatic attraction, but any material that can move your arm hairs from 4" away could work.

Back