Random Thought Thread

Man, it’s like an inch long scratch on the door behind the driver’s door, I think a good candidate for touch up paint. I am being a bit of a drama queen cause it’s my first brand new car and I bought it like a day before they locked us down for the virus and paying for it has been a bit of a bitch. But, it’s just a station wagon and my official “family” car so I’m thinking, maybe, just get over it and enjoy it, scratch it. Whatever. I do know some guys who can fix me up but appreciate you man.

Alright ye big dumb baby! So here it goes:

Buy some decent art & craft brushes (remember we are talking about miniature and detailed art, not for friggin paining a house!) either from Amazon or your local Michaels or similar (HobbyLobby arseholes come to mind too). Almost never use the applicator brush which come with the factory touch-up paint sticks! I imagine that the scratch is horizontal so you will need a steady and delicate touch of an artist's hand going from your left to your right (for right handed and reverse for the left handed). Try the brushes for size and choose the one which is just tad thinner than the width of your scratch because the idea is that the liquid paint's "viscosity" fills the minuscule gap. It would be better if you cut very thin strips of good quality masking tape to mask the factory paint immediately above and below your scratch. Make sure that the brush bristles are wet enough but not like dripping wet and then go to work Maestro!

If you know how to color sand aka wet sand after the touch-up paint binds and drys, you can make it so that it will become almost indiscernible unless you know that it is there. If you don't know what wet sanding is, let me know. But basically a lot of that can be fixed without going to a bodyshop which will probably paint the whole panel and the next one to it to blend it in.

TD; DR version: factory touchup paint + art & craft paint brushes + steady hand (with practice) + good technique + masking tape & prep + MAYBE some wet sanding and then ultimately buffing = happier Eric.

Man. I just gouged the paint on my new car really bad with a pocket clip. So. I hate folders now, and I especially hate Hinderer clips

If you carried a Buck 110, that would've never happened-- at least the Duke boys never scratched the hood with their Buck knives. :rolleyes:

Do you think it had something to do with the brass bolsters?

boduke-clx-beltknife.jpg

95b3a0032aeada1fcbf02bd7dec495e8.gif

Utility Fighter Acid wash and Osage Orange wood handles on a black liner. Looking for $535 shipped.
This knife is brand new and unused. The most it's done is get admired by myself as well as some close friends and family.
Asking price includes all fees and insured USPS Priority shipping within the US only please. PayPal Goods
View attachment 1300471
View attachment 1300472
View attachment 1300473 View attachment 1300474

As always I reserve the right to deal with whom I choose, typically the first "I'll take it" post in this thread followed up by a PM for payment info applies. Please any questions do not hesitate to ask via PM or email. If you cannot PM please consider uprgrading your account or please post the email address you would like me to respond to in this thread. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Thanks for looking. :(

Where's @JustinFournier when there's some Osage to be had?

Jo gets new car. Nate gouges the steering wheel with his pocket clip. Again. And again. And again...
I have to admit my confusion; where is the pocket clip/knife and how does it make contact with the steering wheel?

I'm trying to envision it, but I can't. I've carried a folder of some sort in my right front pocket with a pocket clip for years and years and never come close to scratching the steering wheel with it, whether it was fullsize trucks/SUVs, compact hatchbacks, or low-slung sportscars with bucket seats.

I have to admit my confusion; where is the pocket clip/knife and how does it make contact with the steering wheel?

I'm trying to envision it, but I can't. I've carried a folder of some sort in my right front pocket with a pocket clip for years and years and never come close to scratching the steering wheel with it, whether it was fullsize trucks/SUVs, compact hatchbacks, or low-slung sportscars with bucket seats.

Either getting in or out....how low the steering wheel is set is probably a big factor. And I know some people flip the wheel all the way up to get in/out, but I don't do that. Took me a bit to figure out what happened...I was like how did the bottom of the (leather) steering wheel get all gouged up? And then it dawned on me. Stopped using the clip and just carried in my pocket for quite a while, until I got the CS Grik with plastic clip.

Ah, understood. I have to move the seat to fit (giraffe legs).

The Yukon Denali was the most convenient of the vehicles, since it has 2 powered seat memory options that can be linked to the 2 different remotes (i.e. if you hit the unlock button with Remote #1, it automatically moves the seats and pedals etc. to position #1 that you previously set and stored).

Ah, understood. I have to move the seat to fit (giraffe legs).

The Yukon Denali was the most convenient of the vehicles, since it has 2 powered seat memory options that can be linked to the 2 different remotes (i.e. if you hit the unlock button with Remote #1, it automatically moves the seats and pedals etc. to position #1 that you previously set and stored).

Wife's car has dual seat memory too...very nice feature. At least it was until my son took my setting for himself and changed it:mad::D

Back