Random Thought Thread

We've had a few shop visits over the years and literally half of them were engineering managers/directors

Guilty (not the visit part). Used to go to Clayton a lot for business but not any more, and just looked up where you are and it would have been a long haul anyway. Maybe someday...

The people that gravitate to this group tend to be pretty technical. I like a crowd of folks who appreciate technical minutiae. This makes me happy
Hmmm... a high end company that focuses specifically on the technical minutiae to maximize the performance of their product, drawing clientele/fans who appreciate technical minutiae, you say?

Sorry Nathan, but I think your company's direction just doesn't have what it takes to appeal to the folks who are enamored of the $26.99 bowie because, "It's got that really cool dragon in black and red on the handle, and see? It's got a dragon engraved (crudely) on the blade too". :p

Different strokes, for different folks :D

If the DEK is as amazing as I am anticipating, I may need to sell something to pick up a second on the pre-order. UF or EDC, I just can't decide, i love them all.

Don't sell either one of those if you truly love ‘em because those are both retired patterns now. If the budget is tight, just wait things out because hopefully there will be more DEK1s after the preorders in 2021.

Apart from preorders giving most folks an even playing field (those who are not fast enough for most Fridays’ dizzying pace) preorders give people like me a chance to grab more with the option to customize at an added expense. Invariably though some people tend to sell the extra ones when they receive their orders. Case in point, you will get other chances again so don’t sell your beloved ones to finance more of the one which you are already getting.

Just my 2 cents.

So since thecnical thinking for me is usually whether to buy cans or bottles because one requires an opener ... am I over stepping to enjoy my CPKs? Should I revert to Gerber and Old Hickory only?

Us country boys kind like that there Carother's unicorn dust ...

And if that is you only have the one EDC then I have to concur with Matty ... hold on to that it would haunt you forever if you let it go.

If the DEK is as amazing as I am anticipating, I may need to sell something to pick up a second on the pre-order. UF or EDC, I just can't decide, i love them all.

Didn't I see that you just got engaged? Maybe your Uncle Matty and I should get your Wedding gift ... if you don't mind ordering and waiting for it to arrive? Cause you're gonna love the DEK !

Matty has all the power and connections here I merely beat on my knives when the opportunity presents itself.

So since thecnical thinking for me is usually whether to buy cans or bottles because one requires an opener ... am I over stepping to enjoy my CPKs? Should I revert to Gerber and Old Hickory only?

Us country boys kind like that there Carother's unicorn dust ...

You are being very modest Sir. There was a time when this country produced some of its most brilliant minds right outta the smallest and the most obscure places in this land. When those places get a fair deal again when it comes to education and sciences the place one comes from ought not matter again.

CPK is pretty egalitarian anyway :D

Don't sell either one of those if you truly love ‘em because those are both retired patterns now. If the budget is tight, just wait things out because hopefully there will be more DEK1s after the preorders in 2021.

Apart from preorders giving most folks an even playing field (those who are not fast enough for most Fridays’ dizzying pace) preorders give people like me a chance to grab more with the option to customize at an added expense. Invariably though some people tend to sell the extra ones when they receive their orders. Case in point, you will get other chances again so don’t sell your beloved ones to finance more of the one which you are already getting.

Just my 2 cents.
I definitely hear you!
I would just love a D3V swedge to compliment my aebl
And my other thought is, EDC and UF are perfect aside the size. EDC is just slightly to small and the UF slightly to big. The Dek seems to be an answer and combination of those in a perfect size.

As we all are, I am always on the hunt for my Excalibur, the perfect knife. If i find it, I need at least two haha
I guess I will wait for my AEBL to arrive and evaluate from there

And if that is you only have the one EDC then I have to concur with Matty ... hold on to that it would haunt you forever if you let it go.

Didn't I see that you just got engaged? Maybe your Uncle Matty and I should get your Wedding gift ... if you don't mind ordering and waiting for it to arrive? Cause you're gonna love the DEK !

Matty has all the power and connections here I merely beat on my knives when the opportunity presents itself.

I just luv these posts which shower Matty with all the praise as the almighty Uncle Matty but a few words of caution for the sake of levity:

There were those true believers in the magical powers and the unimpeachable connections of Matty who also went to bed on very empty stomachs :D

Weddings/trying to buy a unit, is so expensive
I have been preparing and downsizing my collection to favourites.

The whole youtube "if you could only have" (in this case, 3) is a reality now.
And all 3 are/will be CPKs :cool:

What does the future Missus really think about your passion for knives? Don’t you fall for all that “I love you any way and understand your hobbies / ways / foibles”. It’s all a trap :D

This one time, I got my wife pregnant, and she had the baby. Then this other time it happened again. Like 8 months ago it happened too. I dont know how it will end up this time but in about 3 weeks I'll be even more stressed out than I am now.

I can offer you 2 solutions but you may not like the first one so I’ll offer you the second solution first: stop counting! :p

What does the future Missus really think about your passion for knives? Don’t you fall for all that “I love you any way and understand your hobbies / ways / foibles”. It’s all a trap :D
Hahah, she is fine with what I have, dont think she would love if i went spending as I did when I was single. But before her, I had no financial commitments, so it was fine, even if I am on a relatively low wage.

She is also like - I dont get it, but everyone has their hobbies haha. But then again, no one here understands. With all knives being illegal to edc, it is even less understood/tolerated here.

Back