Random Thought Thread

Nice work and thanks for digging that up. That looks like it took quite well.

A while ago I used the stove top method to RIT dye canvas and linen micarta in black.

I also did the complete RIT fixative.

They worked out perfectly. The fixative prevented any colour from coming out of the scales and transferring to hands etc.

The logical progression was to TT. The downside after talking to Nathan about it, the heat used in the stove top method may cause delamination between the micarta and TT.

So before I go and dye all my TT I wanted to do a test batch.

The thing is I never ended up with an extra set of TT that may be ruined.

I still have all my stainless stuff and the materials to do it. I just need the scales.

They will start to finish up in a month or two and I will post them up for sale here on the forum.

bad-joke-seal.gif

Maybe? I generally dislike private bids. Also wouldn’t that have an issue with more than one item?

Nope.

For example, let’s say there are 10 examples on a Friday. Same as usual, except rather than first past the post, people could have a set amount of time to reply, whatever seems reasonable. The reply can indicate an email was sent to Jo with a private bid.

The 11th highest bidder sets the price for the 10 winners.

So if the 11 highest bidders are:

#1 - $800
#2 - $750
#3 - $750
#4 - $725
#5 - $700
#6 - $700
#7 - $675
#8 - $675
#9 - $650
#10 - $650
#11 - $625 ← The top 10 each pay $625

Your bid represents the maximum amount you are willing to pay, but the actual sale price is determined by the other participants. In the example above, even though #1 bid $800, they only paid $625. This is the market price: the price at which there are enough buyers willing to pay for the item.

Someone could just bid very high like say $1500 to guarantee a spot. But with enough interest this will backfire as they could end up paying way more than they really wanted. Because if enough people Did that, the 11th bid would be super high, so people are disincentivized to overbid.

Just a thought. I’m not telling anyone how to run the sale.

I would rather one sale for all available. If there are 40, then the first 40 posts each get a dagger. I’d be okay waiting a month or two after paying.
Yeah, I concur. I would greatly prefer this, especially with a very limited production item. Limit of 1 per person and all of them (or 40 if there are more than that), vs 10 at a time.

Nope.

For example, let’s say there are 10 examples on a Friday. Same as usual, except rather than first past the post, people could have a set amount of time to reply, whatever seems reasonable. The reply can indicate an email was sent to Jo with a private bid.

The 11th highest bidder sets the price for the 10 winners.

So if the 11 highest bidders are:

#1 - $800
#2 - $750
#3 - $750
#4 - $725
#5 - $700
#6 - $700
#7 - $675
#8 - $675
#9 - $650
#10 - $650
#11 - $625 ← The top 10 each pay $625

Your bid represents the maximum amount you are willing to pay, but the actual sale price is determined by the other participants. In the example above, even though #1 bid $800, they only paid $625. This is the market price: the price at which there are enough buyers willing to pay for the item.

Someone could just bid very high like say $1500 to guarantee a spot. But with enough interest this will backfire as they could end up paying way more than they really wanted. Because if enough people Did that, the 11th bid would be super high, so people are disincentivized to overbid.

Just a thought. I’m not telling anyone how to run the sale.

I understand this in principal, but I think it's confusing to implement and prone to risk. For example, without properly understanding who is bidding the auction is prone to tampering. This is true whether you do a fancy "let's get fair market value" auction or a straight highest bidder auction.

How to sell desirable commodities in a "fair" way is a very hard problem. I think this is not a problem worth solving because there will always be a group (those that didn't win) that complains it was unfair. For example, let's say the base price of this complex grind low-volume boot dagger is $500. Run this Vickery auction and a bunch of folks bid $2000, setting the price for all 40 at $2000. Then a few of those folks decide "well $2000 was the low number, I'll bet someone was willing to pay $5000!" and decides to sell their knife.

A bunch of folks who wanted a $500 knife now face a 10x MSRP if they want to obtain one.

This hard problem exists no matter what system you use. Lotteries are already filled with folks who enter everything they can.

This hard problem exists no matter what system you use. Lotteries are already filled with folks who enter everything they can.
A little clarity on this part, please?

I'm not sure why a lottery would be problematic.

Announce the thread a week or 2 prior.
- BF memberships only.
- Have the thread open for an hour (or a weekend, whichever Nate/Jo prefers) for people to post their entry.
- 1 entry post per person with no proxies.
- Randomly draw numbers for the winning buyers (the randomly drawn numbers correspond to the posts from the first to last entry in the thread).

Back