Random Thought Thread

Was thinking of pimping out a DEK1 in the pre-order, but will hold back a bit in hopes of scoring one of the boot daggers...hopefully satin finish will be available on that!
Alsonotnathan... but the boot dagger is a highly complicated "grind" with a crazy transition from hollow to flat that would be a HUGE pain to satin finish properly.

Who is going to be the DEK pre-order hero who posts clearly labeled photos showing the major options?

e.g.
Photo 1, blade style: Normal, Penetrator tip, Swedge, (Penetrator tip & Swedge? Are you allowed to cross the streams?)
Photo 2, blade finish: Normal, Acid Wash, Acid Wash with Satin Grind primary, Satin Grind
Photo 3, scale colors, buffed and unbuffed
https://www.bladeforums.com/attachments/scales_051319-jpg.1211850/
Note that not all colors shown here are available. Conversely, some colors are available that aren't shown here, such as:
Green and Black Linen micarta
Red and Black Linen micarta
bright green or OD green Terotuff
These should be easily googleable for color, but the buffed/unbuffed photo is SOOO handy for seeing the difference buffing makes.

That would be the ideal (albeit probably impossible*) addition to the pre-order OP.

* Probably impossible, as to my knowledge at least some of these options have never been offered previously. Maybe a rendering of the penetrator tip?

**** Edited to reference Jo's buffed/unbuffed scales photo ****

Last edited:
Who is going to be the DEK pre-order hero who posts clearly labeled photos showing the major options?

e.g.
Photo 1, blade style: Normal, Penetrator tip, Swedge, (Penetrator tip & Swedge? Are you allowed to cross the streams?)
Photo 2, blade finish: Normal, Acid Wash, Acid Wash with Satin Grind primary, Satin Grind
Photo 3, scale colors, buffed and unbuffed*

That would be the ideal (albeit probably impossible**) addition to the pre-order OP.

* Jo posted a photo of these once but I couldn't find it. Maybe Uncle Matty's google-fu can come up with it?
** Probably impossible, as to my knowledge at least some of these options have never been offered previously. Maybe a rendering of the penetrator tip?

We can find most of those options on other CPKs but as you know none of that stuff apart from one or two AW versions have been done on the pre-production DEK1 pattern. The variety of handle scale options can be pulled from the FK2 preorder thread but the reason as to why I didn't do that is because I don't believe that any ghost G10 scales in addition to maybe one or two other FK2 scale material will be on the table for DEK1, so I didn't wish to confuse the more pedestrian type of buyers who land in here because that will only add clutter to NinJo's inbox.

I wasn't being a smartass, apologies if it came across that way. Just thinking out loud in the random thought thread...
Never thought you were, my apology if you felt I was being one to you. I know I have seen images of everything you are asking for on the sub. I am sure many would appreciate such a resource as I have seen exactly 13,384 questions addressed to Nathan since he posted the pre order options asking what this looks like with that and so on. It would be enough to never offer this kinda thing again were I in his shoes, and I think that would suck, would you agree? So, if any member wanted to help brother Nathan out and put something like that together, I am sure all, would appreciate the effort.

That sets up the retort, then why don’t you do it Marc? Well, I’ll tell ya. I have been around enough to have seen and recall what all those options look like and how they would work together, so I am not motivated myself. The other reason is that while I may not be a smart ass at this moment, I am most certainly a dick, and a lazy one at that, so I still ain’t doing it. Uncle Matty won’t even need google-fu to confirm that last one for you, he’ll know that right off the top of his head.

Long story short, you had a very good idea. The effort would be appreciated by many if not all, even this dick. The info is all here on the sub, run with it.

Back