Random Thought Thread

Random thought... Some people really need to READ MORE and POST LESS :(...
True, but sometimes opinions need to be aired.
An offensive statement was made, an offended person went on the offense and said something not really offensive but could be construed as offensive if dissected correctly, then 3rd guy (me) comes in point out the error and to be an asshole.

It’s the circle of life.

True, but sometimes opinions need to be aired.
An offensive statement was made, an offended person went on the offense and said something not really offensive but could be construed as offensive if dissected correctly, then 3rd guy (me) comes in point out the error and to be an asshole.

It’s the circle of life.
No, Just no...... :thumbsdown: What you “dissected correctly,”....:rolleyes:,

it is really called “picking fly poop out of black pepper”.....o_O

You use the root word offend a lot. Projection is a thing.

this little misunderstanding is over with and everyone can resume enjoying this thread.

This subforum is a special place on the internet where like minded people can discuss their hobby with less drama and knuckleheadery than in other areas. We've attracted a pretty diverse crowd here with a lot of intelligent contributors. People don't realize it, but there are doctors, lawyers, engineers, CEOs, technology directors and even real machinists here. It's like walking into the most interesting bar in world. And miraculously, given the wide ranging group of people here, it is actual very chill. And this random thought thread in particular is really a lot of fun. Especially once you get to know the people better and isn't just a wall of names but actually folks you really have come to know.

There are a couple new faces, which is a good thing, but folks who are new to a room might not realize that a lot of folks there have been there a while and are comfortable with the local "norms" whereas someone new may not quite know the boundaries of those norms yet. So I will explain.

First, I would ask that all the thin skinned people put on your big boy pants. This is a grownup people's room, not a "safe space" for any particular ideology.

There are three subject matters that can spoil a polite conversation due to their inherently contentious nature. Talking about how much money you make, religion and politics. You can talk about these things here if you want, it's a free country, but you have to tread carefully to avoid our No Drama rule. If in doubt, leave it alone.

1. This started when .357gus posted a picture of a beer can with an elephant on it and said "In honor of the RNC Convention"

^ that's not a problem is it? That should be totally fine. We're grown men here. A person should be able to make that post without worrying about ensuing idiotic behavior. However, given the likelihood of ensuing idiotic behavior, in retrospect I wish he hadn't posted it.

2. 000Robert responds "Too bad that the left are suffering from delirium tremens. Imagine how great our country would be if we didn't have them constantly trying to bring us down." "Imagine how great our country would be if we didn't have them constantly trying to bring us down" <--- this is political nonsense where it doesn't belong and gets an infraction. You are welcome here on our forum but please leave the political rhetoric at the door. As Trevitrace's dog taking a dump photo nicely summed up, you just just dropped a turd in the room. Please don't do that.

...and continuing down the rabbit hole...

3. SpyderPhreak posts "Politard talk needs to stay in the proper sub-forum. It does NOT belong here! :poop:" Like Gus before him, in my view this is an okay post. He said "tard", and I can see how some might take offence. Is it offensive? Sure it is. Somewhat. But sometimes we're a little bit offensive here. If someone was offended and wants to say about it, that's fine, but I don't think this crossed the line to justify what follows.

4. 000Robert. "Unless it's in a photo? Ok, I got it! :poop:" A photo of an elephant and acknowledging the existence of the RCN doesn't cross the line. We're not pretending politics don't exist. This is not the same thing as stating that literally half the people in the country are constantly trying to drag us all down. That might be your personal view. But a lot of people who are better informed than you or me don't agree with that statement. So, "the RCN exists." <--factual and uncontentious statement (or photo) is okay. "the left is suffering from delirium tremens and are constantly trying to bring us down." <--contentious opinion, please don't bring the inevitable arguing that statement invites to our corner of the internet here.

5. Standard78 calls out SpyderPhreak for offensive tard talk. I agree it is a little bit offensive. Lots of things are offensive. And in some people's ideal world, folks would never use potentially offensive language that might disparage a less fortunate or less "empowered group". But here on my forum we're not going to over apply the sentiment held by some critical social justice theorists that language that might be deemed offensive to some is automatically out-of-bounds speech. One has to be very carful with the idea that some speech is out-of-bounds. This concept has to be applied very carefully and I personally fear it is being over applied these days. People can take their "intersectionalities" and "discourses" and "lived experiences" and believe it as much as they want, but we're not going to apply some group's new world view to everybody else here at the expense of free speech. Sometimes some people's feeling might be hurt a little. If so, and if at all possible, I would encourage people to please suck it up and continue on with their day.

6. Standard78 At 12:02 my time writes "You’re a piece of shit, plain and simple." it's edited out at 2:46 AM (my time). come on man. Lets not do that here.

7. As this is escalating, SpyderPhreak's language gets a little out of bounds too. In my opinion it may have been an understandable response, but I'd ask that you please keep this kind of confrontation off my forum.

I'm going to unlock this thread now and resume my chill disposition. Anybody else harming my chill will get an infraction.

Last edited:
Back