Random Thought Thread

I can’t believe how different kids can be.

My son is really into our family values right now. Courage is one he’s working on, he’s 3 months from turning 7 years old. I tell him one of his teeth is ready to come out soon. He tells me I can try to take it out and he will be brave. I say ok and pop it out without too much fuss, not much blood either. He asked if that’s being brave. I tell him yes and to go rinse out the blood in his mouth. Off he goes. He comes back and throws it in the garbage. End of story.

My step daughter who is 5 months younger literally has a front tooth falling out of her face, sticking out at a 30 degree angle and super discolored, like very much needs to come out a week ago. Maybe more.

She won’t eat with her front teeth, she won’t brush it. It’s gross. Literally, I mean this literally she’s running around screaming “Help me! Save me” at the top of her lungs if we even try to touch it. It’s, for lack of a better term fucking crazy.

You don’t even want to know what it took to finally get it out, but when we finally did, she’s in my arms screaming bloody murder, so I take her to the bathroom mirror to show her it’s out.

So she rinses some blood out of her mouth and then in a matter of seconds after being literally hysterical decides that actually it’s fine and she wants her $10 from the tooth fairy now.

FML.

The tooth fairy is paying $10 a pop these days? I know I say this often, but holy shit! :D

We’re teaching them to negotiate. They started at $20. I told her this one is only worth $5 cause she left it in too long and didn’t take good enough care if it. She knows we’re the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

I don’t want them thinking things come from magic for nothing, nor do I want them to feel entitled or randomly get things when we’re at a store just because we are there or be told no randomly and told not to want things.

I want them to want things and develop a plan to get them. To learn to set goals and reach them. So they are encouraged to dream and ask for help on how to achieve goals.

So far it’s worked out well. They don’t tantrum or grab things in stores. We took them Christmas shopping to look at all the things in the stores so they can pick out their own gifts on a budget, but that we weren’t buying them that day. Even my 3 year old went back and forth between a few aisles and narrowed down her choices without an issue.

Lots this style of parenting isn’t common and I know some people won’t like it, but I don’t really give a shit! :D

We’re teaching them to negotiate. They started at $20. I told her this one is only worth $5 cause she left it in too long and didn’t take good enough care if it. She knows we’re the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

I don’t want them thinking things come from magic for nothing, nor do I want them to feel entitled or randomly get things when we’re at a store just because we are there or be told no randomly and told not to want things.

I want them to want things and develop a plan to get them. To learn to set goals and reach them. So they are encouraged to dream and ask for help on how to achieve goals.

So far it’s worked out well. They don’t tantrum or grab things in stores. We took them Christmas shopping to look at all the things in the stores so they can pick out their own gifts on a budget, but that we weren’t buying them that day. Even my 3 year old went back and forth between a few aisles and narrowed down her choices without an issue.

Lots this style of parenting isn’t common and I know some people won’t like it, but I don’t really give a shit! :D

This is so refreshing to see. I have always lamented the fictional tales of Santa and tooth fairy etc. My parents think I'd ruin a childhood; I'd rather not lie and actually explain how life is. Kudos to you and those that disagree can kick rocks. Honestly beyond impressed with your approach.

This is so refreshing to see. I have always lamented the fictional tales of Santa and tooth fairy etc. My parents think I'd ruin a childhood; I'd rather not lie and actually explain how life is. Kudos to you and those that disagree can kick rocks. Honestly beyond impressed with your approach.

Thanks for your feedback and support! I know that sounds cheesy but I work 6-7 days a week, and any minute I’m at home with the kids I’m spending time with them. They have really taken over life so it’s a bit of a lonely road when most of what we’re doing results in rejection.

lol dog walking injury
TGP6AZe.jpg

Public service announcement.
This is the single most painful finger injury. This hurts all the way to your shoulder, like cold-sweat kind of hurt! My fingers hurt just seeing this from Lorien Lorien .

But this is the easiest pain in the whole body to INSTANTLY relieve. Use a small (1/16") drill bit. Just twist/spin it in your thumb and forefinger and drill a small hole through the nail. The pain relief by letting the blood is absolute and instant. The pain leading up to it from a little added pressure on the nail is next world, but trust me, you have to press on. I've never liked the hot needle method because it cauterizes the hole immediately and doesn't relieve the pressure the same way. My dad, to this day, carries a 1/16" drill bit in his wallet for this specific reason. I have one in a first aid kit.

This is the single most painful finger injury. This hurts all the way to your shoulder, like cold-sweat kind of hurt! My fingers hurt just seeing this from Lorien Lorien .

But this is the easiest pain in the whole body to INSTANTLY relieve. Use a small (1/16") drill bit. Just twist/spin it in your thumb and forefinger and drill a small hole through the nail. The pain relief by letting the blood is absolute and instant. The pain leading up to it from a little added pressure on the nail is next world, but trust me, you have to press on. I've never liked the hot needle method because it cauterizes the hole immediately and doesn't relieve the pressure the same way. My dad, to this day, carries a 1/16" drill bit in his wallet for this specific reason. I have one in a first aid kit.
or, you could run a chainsaw for an hour and bump the finger up against stuff repeatedly. It's weird seeing blood come out the circumference of a fingernail. Kinda like a loose tooth today. If I put it under my pillow will Santa leave me a line of cocaine?

I think that Santa Claus wasn't just a fun part of childhood, I think it was a useful lesson on one's ability to believe things that aren't true. It teaches skepticism which is valuable.

It’s still a lesson that gets taught as they hear everything from their peers, age appropriate or not. From the other parents etc. We teach skepticism daily through grand and extraordinary claims. Then ask if they believe it and why not. It’s really made them much more level headed and less emotionally reactive.

Now they rarely believe wild claims at all. But they still dream and have fun.

Some of the best ones are the trolls will steal your voice if you yell too much at bed time. This was based on how your voice gets hoarse so she thought there was some truth to it as she was losing her voice.

I sold your bike and used the money to buy candy. This lesson is about property rights.

You can sell your siblings to the gypsies. If that’s true then they can sell you. So universal standards.

All the house rules were decided on together. So they are their rules too. It’s not top down authoritarian rule.

All that kinda stuff.

My son’s current goal is to hatch an Ankylosaurus from an egg and tame it.

My neighbor smashed his finger when we were kids. The doctor unfolded a paper clip, heated it to red, then touched the end lightly to the nail. It melted a tiny hole for instant relief.
Probably less pain, pressure and risk of infection than the drill bit.

My neighbor smashed his finger when we were kids. The doctor unfolded a paper clip, heated it to red, then touched the end lightly to the nail. It melted a tiny hole for instant relief.
Probably less pain, pressure and risk of infection than the drill bit.

This sounds like something my Grandpa would have done with a Sportman cigarette hanging out of his mouth and sawdust all over his pants. I’m gonna grow a fingernail a bit long and try it out on the end. Thanks for sharing the idea!

I was thinking 1/16” seems a bit big.

Back