Random Thought Thread

I put the tiniest deformity in my HDFK batoning some wood. Looks like ~0.5mm of the edge got pushed to the side/dented. It's not a big deal but I'm trying to fix it. I used a hone to try to push the edge back into position but it's still not perfect. Should I keep working the dent with my hone until the edge is perfectly straight again? Not sure if there's a better way to do this or if I should even bother. I'm worried sharpening will take the dent/metal off and leave a small dip in the edge.

I would not bother. Instead, just use and sharpen as normal. After a few sharpenings it should be gone. If you focus on a single edge defect you could chase problems. If you are using it as intended to do some hard work, those beauty marks will be normal. They will sharpen away and new ones come in their place.

Just an opinion.

Alternatively, send it off to CPK to get a completely fresh edge put on it!

I would not bother. Instead, just use and sharpen as normal. After a few sharpenings it should be gone. If you focus on a single edge defect you could chase problems. If you are using it as intended to do some hard work, those beauty marks will be normal. They will sharpen away and new ones come in their place.

Just an opinion.

Alternatively, send it off to CPK to get a completely fresh edge put on it!

Yeah I think I'll just leave it. I try not to stone-sharpen my CPKs if I don't have to since they go back to hairpopping sharp with just a bit of stropping. I actually only noticed it because the one spot kept scraping the strop compound off the leather surface.

View attachment 1452184

Speaking of materials and katanas, there is the Dan Keffeler CPM-3V katana. Mike
I made a katana out of 3V myself a couple years back.
Peters' HT 'toughness protocol' at RHC 60. It cuts really well (even through those nearly invincible pop bottles).
uUbelI2.jpg

TnCEO0z.jpg

I think that Santa Claus wasn't just a fun part of childhood, I think it was a useful lesson on one's ability to believe things that aren't true. It teaches skepticism which is valuable.

When my daughter was in second grade one day she came home crying because she had been scared with something about gremlins at school. That day I told her all about gremlins, Santa Claus, hell, devils..., and so much more. She’s now happily married with degrees from two Ivy League universities. Above all, she’s been the best daughter anyone could have, and a wonderfully humble and kind person. Tough, too, she’s an investigative journalist who loves to go after corrupt scum bags. No fear.

Isn’t that the truth LOL! He’s learning about the DNA aspect of it all. And then figured out how we share DNA. Within the capability of a 6 year old going on 7 at least. He asked me how the DNA gets combined and that’s when I said we will talk about this when you get older!
:)
You can tell us - we will keep it secret. ;):D

When my daughter was in second grade one day she came home crying because she had been scared with something about gremlins at school. That day I told her all about gremlins, Santa Claus, hell, devils..., and so much more. She’s now happily married with degrees from two Ivy League universities. Above all, she’s been the best daughter anyone could have, and a wonderfully humble and kind person. Tough, too, she’s an investigative journalist who loves to go after corrupt scum bags. No fear.
you ought to be proud! Corrupt scum bags are the worst

Random thought: daggers are hard to sharpen
On a grinding wheel/belt, holding them in place without slicing yourself open can be tricky.

Large binder clips with rubber tennis racket grip tape over the ends can be used as a non-marking blade holder (and is easier than taping the edges individually). Seems to work especially well with hollow grind profiles.

Come to think of it, if you need to adjust the holder position on the blade frequently (depends on the user's preference), using the grip tape over the ends of a pair of locking pliers might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
We're already very slow sharpening here. When sharpening dek1 or field knives I can do about eight an hour. It's looking like these daggers are more like three an hour. That's really appalling for a production knife shop. Worse, I'm the only one here who can do it, so I'm sharpening knives instead of programming Kepharts.

Back