1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
    I have been rucking for about two years now. I use a GoRuck Rucker as a normal backpack and keep between 20 and 25lbs in it during my commute (NYC subway and walking) and other chores/errands around my neighborhood. I will occasionally use more weight, like 30 or 40, but if I have the time to actually ruck with heavy weight I will generally jog instead. I have done training hikes with 30# using the rucker and it was fun, if a little hot.

My knees are fine but I would treat it like you are hiking with a pack, which you are, and use supportive footwear. The magic number is 10% of your body weight. Start there and work your way up. I started at 10 lbs then incrementally added 2.5# every 3 weeks until I hit 25#. For me and my use (6'1" 195#) 25# is a soft cap. Past that the weight rapidly becomes inconvenient for using the pack as a pack.

I love the Rucker, actually. I was extremely skeptical of it but I needed a backpack and it was on sale. It's not a normal backpack. It's like a piece of gym equipment. It's very thick, heavy, can be quite hot, and tough as hell. I do actually think it's worth the money. I use a 20# plate and two 2.5# wrist weights. If you do go the route of a GoRuck, get a chest strap. I think the new rucks come with one.

Sorry. I'm totally rambling. But depending on how you want to use it, one thing that some other guys I know do is to use their normal hiking backpack and just put sandbags in it. If you're going to ruck with heavy weight regularly I would do that, mainly because of the hip belt and the carriage. It's a much better carry and you might already have a hiking backpack.

fonedork, vkp78, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  2. Hundred Acre Wood

Hundred Acre Wood

Mar 19, 2017
    Mike157, fonedork, Standard78 and 5 others like this.
  3. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2019
    That never gets old, it’s on the news down here every year on the anniversary of it. Supposedly digitally remastered for the 50th anniversary this year, but haven’t seen that version yet.

Can’t count the number of times I’ve watched it and laugh like hell every time :p

Winston

Mike157, fonedork, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  4. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
  5. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    I hate mice. I'm learning to hate squirrels.

vkp78, Mike157, Hard Knocks and 8 others like this.
  6. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    A logical conclusion as they are basically rats with a fuzzy tail. Unless they have mange.

7. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    I'm convinced that if they didn't have a fuzzy (cute) tail, society would've tried to kill them off ages ago.

Hard Knocks, BIGDORK, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  8. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    When I bought my house the attic was full of dead squirrels, and a family of living ones. I had dead mummified squirrels falling down through the walls and down the chimney as we were fixing the place up. Prior owner was a hoarder and the attic was piled high with junk, shredded boxes and packaging (nesting) materials and generations of squirrel turds under the eaves and all. I let the living squirrels move out on their own and then sealed it up. Had to replace all the wood and insulation to get rid of the smell... In my old house, we had a squirrel come down the chimney and it left little black footprints all over the walls. That was so confusing to come home to. But I actually don't mind squirrels, haha

vkp78, Box_Opener, woodysone and 6 others like this.
  9. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    They are pretty tasty.

vkp78, fonedork, BIGDORK and 3 others like this.
  10. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Do you figure they taste like rats?

Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  11. Big DJ

Oct 29, 2013
    Chicken

12. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    They are in fact like chicken although slightly less pasty. I might prefer squirrel to chicken. At least if it's been eating good white acorns and not trash.

vkp78, Mike157, BIGDORK and 6 others like this.
  13. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    SecPro Level IIIA Ballistic Face Mask

BIGDORK and Odog27 like this.
  14. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I was thinking about ordering this

BIGDORK, tinfoil hat timmy and Odog27 like this.
  15. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I wish it had a punisher skull on the back so the guy behind me knew I was badass too...oh, wait:rolleyes::D

woodysone, Mike157, BIGDORK and 3 others like this.
  16. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Would you try rat? For science of course.

woodysone, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  17. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Flied chicken? :p

18. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    How much? You have a link?

Odog27 likes this.
  19. Big DJ

Oct 29, 2013
    I love it, flying squirrels!

woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  20. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    What if I fattened em up a little on donuts? You know for dessert.
    PXL_20201025_140844952_copy_876x1168.jpg

I must've relocated at least a dozen of em in late summer and these tree rats are everywhere still. Next step coyote bait for a buddy of mine.
    PXL_20201008_211341191_copy_756x1008.jpg

woodysone, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.