Random Thought Thread

We did a lot of pulp for Saga and Star when I worked in VanWa, never used the flat forks, only the clamps/squeezes.

Don’t mean it judgy, but glad the no seatbelt worked for you on that one :thumbsup:, a longshoreman in SoCal got himself deceased when he hit a pillar in a warehouse and went thru the front of the machine and headered into said pillar. Of course speed, inattention, and illegal substances played a large part on that one :(

Winston

Surf is mostly in and out of the car and on the apron. They don’t have a high top speed. Just lots of torque for fast acceleration. You go in the car, slide under a unit and come back out onto the apron and put a few side by side to make a lift for a clamp.

I wear my belt when I feel it’s most appropriate.

I don’t work while impaired.

I have been rucking for about two years now. I use a GoRuck Rucker as a normal backpack and keep between 20 and 25lbs in it during my commute (NYC subway and walking) and other chores/errands around my neighborhood. I will occasionally use more weight, like 30 or 40, but if I have the time to actually ruck with heavy weight I will generally jog instead. I have done training hikes with 30# using the rucker and it was fun, if a little hot.

My knees are fine but I would treat it like you are hiking with a pack, which you are, and use supportive footwear. The magic number is 10% of your body weight. Start there and work your way up. I started at 10 lbs then incrementally added 2.5# every 3 weeks until I hit 25#. For me and my use (6'1" 195#) 25# is a soft cap. Past that the weight rapidly becomes inconvenient for using the pack as a pack.

I love the Rucker, actually. I was extremely skeptical of it but I needed a backpack and it was on sale. It's not a normal backpack. It's like a piece of gym equipment. It's very thick, heavy, can be quite hot, and tough as hell. I do actually think it's worth the money. I use a 20# plate and two 2.5# wrist weights. If you do go the route of a GoRuck, get a chest strap. I think the new rucks come with one.

Sorry. I'm totally rambling. But depending on how you want to use it, one thing that some other guys I know do is to use their normal hiking backpack and just put sandbags in it. If you're going to ruck with heavy weight regularly I would do that, mainly because of the hip belt and the carriage. It's a much better carry and you might already have a hiking backpack.

When I bought my house the attic was full of dead squirrels, and a family of living ones. I had dead mummified squirrels falling down through the walls and down the chimney as we were fixing the place up. Prior owner was a hoarder and the attic was piled high with junk, shredded boxes and packaging (nesting) materials and generations of squirrel turds under the eaves and all. I let the living squirrels move out on their own and then sealed it up. Had to replace all the wood and insulation to get rid of the smell... In my old house, we had a squirrel come down the chimney and it left little black footprints all over the walls. That was so confusing to come home to. But I actually don't mind squirrels, haha

Back